Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does New OS increase sampling memory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moebrand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: How does New OS increase sampling memory Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Just saw the video about the upcoming OS for Pa4X showing the increase of the sampling Ram , based on what they show on the video the Ram has been Changing a lot from 2015 till now , Isn't sampling memory or Ram supposed to be the Physical chip in the keyboard? if so how does the OS upgrade increase its space, I just wonder .
Thanks !
DMS 3Reed Harmonium
an old Accordion
Apple iMac 480GB SSD , 12GB DDR3 Ram,
logic Pro X , Studio One 3.
Dell laptop with 500GB ssd and 8GB Ram , Korg Pa Manager V4
FL Studio 11 Producer Edition
Studio One 6 Artist
Allan & Heath Zedi 10FX mixer
Shure Beta 87A Condenser Microphone
Audio Technica in ear studio monitor headphones
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been very well covered by AntonySharmann in another thread (sorry, don’t know to provide you link):

Quote:
Most of you have confused the working method of streaming from eMMC (virtual Disk).
1,5GB of User samples using streaming mode will occupy 400 Mb of super fast Ram memory that has not been altered ,
or 3GB compressed samples using the same Ram as before , no matter of samples positions limit that is proportional to the overall size.

Streaming technology rips attack portions of samples in Ram memory (400Mb for user) and the rest portion of samples will be red from
eMMC internal memory that works as "disk" space for 1,5GB normal or 3GB compressed custom samples.
The only difference in 3GB samples size is that compression algorithm is employed using the same memory space 1,5GB disk & 400Mb Ram !
This is the way that PaSeries factory resources work anymore since 3 years in Pa4X/1000 & 700 and expected to be provided also for user samples.

So bear in mind that after OS3 upgrade , 3GB size of compressed custom samples will be available for users ...

Hope this helps

Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
alex.alexutz89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I’m a bit confused on this subject also. Basically 400mb of physical ram will be used and the rest comes from the disk? If so, can we still store any files on the pa4x’s disk? Or do we have to leave it empty for the samples to use it’s memory. Sorry if I sound silly .
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.alexutz89 wrote:
Hi guys, I’m a bit confused on this subject also. Basically 400mb of physical ram will be used and the rest comes from the disk? If so, can we still store any files on the pa4x’s disk? Or do we have to leave it empty for the samples to use it’s memory. Sorry if I sound silly .

Good question.

For example if we use Photoshop on a computer with 4GB RAM and we open 10 images x 1gb per image, that makes about 10gb. So how it will work?

Usually photoshop uses 70% RAM of computer and if you open more images it will use scratch disk as RAM. In this case, photoshop will make a file in disk with 7GB size and after closing photoshop, this file will be removed.

So, if pa4x will use disk to increase ram memory, do we need to leave 1.1gb space on SSD disk? Or we can choose which disk to operate as ram?

We will see!!

But, I would not recommend using more than 400MB ram memory because it may affect performance and stability of keyboard.

But, first we have to wait to see whats happening. Smile

Wait till late March 🤘😆🤘
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
tombikadam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korg loves torturing, instead of putting 3gb of ram to the keyboard in the first place, they choose the retarded way = upgrading! v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6

korg really sucks when it comes to customer satisfaction.
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:

That is your (whining) opinion. I completely DISAGREE.
With two major updates (V2 and V3) in just a couple of years and loads of free new samples, styles and KBD sets, I think Korg is providing huge customer satisfaction.
I'm very happy with this brand.

Play in style. Wink
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:

Please consider Yamahas' users, who never got any update to its Tyros/Genos keyboards, with NEW features.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:
korg loves torturing, instead of putting 3gb of ram to the keyboard in the first place, they choose the retarded way = upgrading! v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6

Seriously, that comment doesn't make any sense. Compare the original PA4X specs with today's - great customer service (with no fees)!!
If you're that annoyed with Korg, I recommend that you sell up, save some money and go get a buggy Genos Wink
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by karmathanever on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:

I would love to see v4 update even in one month.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.alexutz89 wrote:
Hi guys, I’m a bit confused on this subject also. Basically 400mb of physical ram will be used and
the rest comes from the disk? If so, can we still store any files on the pa4x’s disk? Or do we have to leave it empty for the
samples to use it’s memory. Sorry if I sound silly .

At present moment , in PaSeries after Pa3XLe , internal physical HD is used strictly as a storage device only and nothing is written
there concerning system files or samples unlike older models like Pa800/Pa2X where sampling data were written in a hidden partition.

HD connection protocol with mobo is still outdated and converted to USB2.0 so by definition HD speed is 100 times slower than
required speed for streaming mode not to mention the packet protocol of USB that streaming won't work , so the actual "disk"
where streaming occurs is actually a virtual disk from eMMC mobo memory where a part of 1,5GB is used.

Therefore use your HD as you like but also remember that an external fast USB 3 flash drive is always faster than internal physical disk.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Bescki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:

Pa4x memory is still 400MB. But now the system was reprogrammed and we have more logical memory, not physical. Thanks to KORG who didnt forget us.
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
tombikadam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
tombikadam wrote:

That is your (whining) opinion. I completely DISAGREE.
With two major updates (V2 and V3) in just a couple of years and loads of free new samples, styles and KBD sets, I think Korg is providing huge customer satisfaction.
I'm very happy with this brand.

ok then have a nice upgrading
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: