Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos II and AKG K712

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Kronos II and AKG K712 Reply with quote

I have just bought AKG K712 headphones (Made in Slovakia),
and I must say this:

K712 have given my Korg Kronos 2/88 (2018) a new lease of life.
There are no words to describe it, you have to hear it.
Anyone who’s got funds I say go for it !
You will not have any regrets whatsoever, just an opposite.

I have Mackie Hr824 (1st Gen) run through KRK 12sHO subwoofer, however I have always struggled to place each track in their own unique space in the dimensions of depth and width. To do it with monitors I had to turn a volume up, and my old Sony caps were simply “crap”.
Now with that purchase it looks like my misery will vanish slowly but surely.

I add, that after short evaluation of K712, I have discovered how some Kronos patches, and combis are simply stunning, and there are as well some that sound really BAD.

I highly recommend AKG K712.

Rigel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were made in Austria..

Anyway, it's an open back headphones, which are considered superior to closed ones regarding sound fidelity and a very good one at that as far as I know from the opinions of people using it.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing is to get an headphone wich has the most linear frequency ressponse curve as possibile. it must not enhance one band or another.
Some brands provide specific monitoring headphones. (Senheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica, ....)

AKG K712 Pro is one of them.

I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. Very adequate too.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
I thought they were made in Austria..

that's what I thought, too. I read that 6 series are made in Far East and 7 in Austria.
I hope AKG ensures a good quality control at every plant.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I start (I MUST contribute to your post, OP)!

To keep things simple. Among many things, dac’s in the digital world (Kronos is PCM1793) and monitoring are CRUCIAL!! Why in the world would music stores use crappy cables and speakers to sell a high-end keyboard?? The Kronos sounds like **** through those! I’m working my **** to pay for what I own, but I monitor with a Mackie HR824 / Mackie HRS 120 speaker/sub combo (using MonsterCable SP-1000 Mic Cable throughout [another bashed company, but this cable is the ****, MY imo, lol] and an Akg K812 / Grace Design M920 headphone combo setup. (Side note- Kronos dac and analog out are both good, so don’t worry.) To you OP, YES I understand what your saying! Case in point, the Kronos sounds SO much better through a higher-end monitoring set-up, for sure! In my speaker set-up, I even route the sound through an improperly-bashed (yes) BBE Sonic Maximizer 882i (don’t overdue it, though!- it sounds fricken’ AMAZING!)

OP, I connected with your discovery; so I KNOW just how good the Kronos can sound with a good monitoring set-up! I’m happy for you!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
… Among many things, dac’s in the digital world (Kronos is PCM1793) and monitoring are CRUCIAL!

PCM1793 ?
I was curios what kind of chip is it, so I went googling.
I have found some description; Jim claims that Kronos DAC is for generic stuff.
I’ve checked data sheets, his dynamic range claims are correct.
What do you thing about this?

“This BurrBrown dac chip is a voltage output version of the superior PCM1792 dac which is current output. 113 db sn is not near as good as the 129 db rating of the 1792. It seems to be in a class like the Crystal 43122 or 4398 dac chips. Good for the generic stuff, not high end. I haven't seen a 1792 used in pro audio outside the new tascam DVD recorder. It probably masks the converter chip with typical Japanese analog parts.”

-- Jim Williams

timbukktwo wrote:
… Why in the world would music stores use crappy cables and speakers to sell a high-end keyboard?? The Kronos sounds like **** through those ...

All my cables are MOGAMI Gold brand.My Mackie monitors and KRK sub are connected to MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid with XLR.
Most of the time I actually use footswitch to bypass subwoofer. I use it only when is needed. My room is 4x3 meters and quite happy with my monitors on its own. I think Mackies are very capable monitors, but they need to be cranked up to achieve it, and that’s not pleasant for long sessions.

timbukktwo wrote:
… (Side note- Kronos dac and analog out are both good, so don’t worry.) …

My Kronos is connected to MOTU with TOSLINK.
I am not sure, but I think my MOTU works better than using ANALOG connections.
I leave it as it’s for now because sooner or later I will replace this interface.

timbukktwo wrote:
OP, I connected with your discovery; so I KNOW just how good the Kronos can sound with a good monitoring set-up! I’m happy for you!

Thank you !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: