Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tube replacement ..??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomleitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice Shrike.

I'd heard that tubes in this kind of thing failure was not unusual but if they last 10 years then definitely best to leave well alone!

The reason i've taken my extreme apart a couple of times is that it had broken keys and joystick, the only place near me that offers servicing charges £60GBP per hour - so i figured at worst i would not be able to fix it and it would cost the same anyway. Luckily enough it went well and saved me several hundred pounds...

But as they say... if it aint broke, then don't fix it.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you broke keys, we wrote about that.
Keys and joystick is something different then this, again, I wouldn't mess with it myself, but if you managed to fix it on your own, good for you, but tube isn't something to play with.
Tube itself is sturdy one, implemented in other gear and used before Extreme, so it's a tested thing, but casing and connections are tricky, so definitely not something to mess with.
I knew the exact specifications for that tube, but now am at work, I'll search for it and if I find it I will post it here so you can see for yourself what it's all about.

Yeah, you are absolutely right, if it ain't broken, don't fix it, and even if it is, get it done, don't do it your self.

All the best, Tomleitch
davc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey .... thanks for all the advice ....

don't we upgrade our software , our memory , our storage mediums ,
etc, etc ...??? at least i do ...

i like to work my gear and cars , stereos, etc, etc .... and rarely in 50 years of tinkering have i broke anything .... but the bottom line is ...
it's my stuff .... things are improved and re-engineered all the time ...
so if i want to take it apart, that would be my problem ...

12AX7 tubes are safely interchangeable with several variants ....

different brands , styles , etc ..... i'm sure us tubes guys have changed and tried out differnt tubes in more valuable and just as sensitive gear as my Triton .....

and most importantly , i didn't aske for opinions on tubes , etc, etc ...
just some simple help and straight forward answers ....

those who don't wanna mess with their tubes ... cool ....!!! it's your gear, do what you want with it .... but stick to the point , that being the Question that was asked .... if you wanna talk about the in and outs of tearing apart our gear .... then start another post ....

and i always try Never to give un-solicited advice .... it's annoying ...
hopefully those who understand , aren't still reading .... i don't mean to bore you ...!!

if the tube is to much trouble to access .... then i'll probably leave it be ...
just turn it off , cause it's rather noisy , and run different tubes elsewhere ... trust me ,... i lost my nasty attitude a couple decades ago ...
it doesn't lead to early retirement ....

hey ... sorry ... gotta go ... tubes are nice and warmed up in the studio ...
cmrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davc - been on the tube thread reply kick so here's my take

I agree, it seems on this board, there is an element of hostility by some - which is the reason I've posted so little in the year I've owned the TEX

Some seem to feel they are above god and frankly it's quite boorish

Nobody knows anyones' technical aptitude and they shouldn't be telling you what to do with YOUR equipment due to their own fears or lack of understanding of electronics - If you want to experiment that's your business - you have a legit question

enough with the rant:

In a nutshell - I took a peek and there is no easy access to the tube

My approach (if you didn't mind the possibility of some cosmetic uglies) would be to carefully remove the bubble housing to access the tube instead of goin" around the world to get to the next town

An xacto knife along with a flat head jewelers screwdriver may be useful tools for the surgery. That way you can poke and prod with the least amount of damage. After which, you can secure the bubble any way you see fit (duct tape haha!!) - a dremmel might be a bit "extreme"

Basically I could take this f***ker apart - reverse engineer it - build me a new one and throw in some extras that would satisfy my every physical need, 'Shocked' - but that would take too much time away from music - That entails my technical aptitude-

Have fun !!!!

P.S. The tube is QUITE noisy at high gain - but if you back off a bit on some of the settings, it adds a nice amount of warmth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmrr wrote:
davc - been on the tube thread reply kick so here's my take

I agree, it seems on this board, there is an element of hostility by some - which is the reason I've posted so little in the year I've owned the TEX

Some seem to feel they are above god and frankly it's quite boorish

Nobody knows anyones' technical aptitude and they shouldn't be telling you what to do with YOUR equipment due to their own fears or lack of understanding of electronics - If you want to experiment that's your business - you have a legit question

enough with the rant:

In a nutshell - I took a peek and there is no easy access to the tube

My approach (if you didn't mind the possibility of some cosmetic uglies) would be to carefully remove the bubble housing to access the tube instead of goin" around the world to get to the next town

An xacto knife along with a flat head jewelers screwdriver may be useful tools for the surgery. That way you can poke and prod with the least amount of damage. After which, you can secure the bubble any way you see fit (duct tape haha!!) - a dremmel might be a bit "extreme"

Basically I could take this f***ker apart - reverse engineer it - build me a new one and throw in some extras that would satisfy my every physical need, 'Shocked' - but that would take too much time away from music - That entails my technical aptitude-

I here ya dood. Tooo many hostile booors

What I noticed is FOOd and music brings people together

I put my 3 Extremes all next to each other , Tube next to Tube next to Tube

I let those Extreme burn power on for 3 months, get those tastey tubes Hot and Toasty

Then I sizzle 3 eggs on the TUbes , they sizzle real nice, get out that Exacto, carve up some juicy Velveeeta , slap a pound of Orange cheeze heaven on those Sizzly Eggs on the Tubes , get that Juicyy Concoction good and Bubbly, Stir it all up with a Swizz Army Knife and

YUMMM !
cmrr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Smile'
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Guys.......

To save heated exchanges. The tube is accessed from the botton of the keyboard. You need to remove all the screws in the base and you can get access to the tube housing from there by moving a PSB for the audio out etc. It's not something I recommend doing. I have done it a few times and if you really want to have a go, be carefull. Take pictures along the way so you can remember how everything goes back and how it fits together.

If your under warranty - dont do it. It will be voided. If you want to try experimenting with tubes, make sure you put the correctr type in. Korg have fitted this type of tube for a reason. Trust us..!! It sounds as good as it going to.

Mike
gorkymate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Shrike is concer and statement:

''Extreme's tube lifetime is longer that Extreme's market lifetime - we will replace all our Extremes before tubes begin to malfunction (10-15 years lifetime, that is very conservative build tube, long persisted on market and used in many other gear, not only in Extreme)''

I just have to say that I have recently figure that I have a problem with tube.
On some sounds it doesn't play sounds when tube is on and it is not that volume is down on lamp or gain. I don't know what is the problem but contacts seems ok and position of tube as I can see form outside. I doubt that it is cold soldering in matter.
So much of tube's lifetime guys, because I know that Korg keyboards can get issues like any others, since I allready change on Oasys 88 Touch digitizer (and it was not cheap) any many other things including buttons on Extreme as well, they are very poor on quality. I bought for UK KORG complete panel of buttons ( 2 pc's) for left side where COMBI, PROG rest is located and that is so fragile that one button broke in may hande and I was delicate with that and careful like holding egg in my hand.
So does any have idea what could be wrong with tube?
Cheers
slain_by_silence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experiencing the same tube problem with my Triton Extreme.
No sound at all in many programs/combis. If I turn off the ValveForce, there's sound,
but some stock patches just don't sound right, as if some FX section would be affected somehow.
The sounds from an alternative rom in the download section (where no valve is involved) are working fine however.

The slightest use of realtime sound controls like Cutoff, Resonance have horrible sound impacts on a patch, too.
(But that is a problem I'm experiencing with my Karma too).

Anyone knows if this (assumed) Valve-Force issue can be fixed?

---------------------------------------------------
Triton Extreme 61 * Korg Karma * Korg N364
magilla66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slain_by_silence wrote:
No sound at all in many programs/combis. If I turn off the ValveForce, there's sound,
but some stock patches just don't sound right, as if some FX section would be affected somehow.
The sounds from an alternative rom in the download section (where no valve is involved) are working fine however.

The slightest use of realtime sound controls like Cutoff, Resonance have horrible sound impacts on a patch, too.

Q - Tube lights up when engaged?
A - Yes, then try clicking the Realtime Controls button until it lights the bottom LED, then turn the tube gain and output levels knobs L/R slowly, listening for any change in output or tone.

The only other place to control output if specific patches aren’t working is to Edit any working patch (you mentioned some do), and compare the ValveForce settings to the non working ones.

T

Korg Module/Module Pro
Nektar Panorama T6
magilla66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slain_by_silence wrote:

Q - Tube lights up when engaged?
A - Yes, then try clicking the Realtime Controls button until it lights the bottom LED, then turn the tube gain and output levels knobs L/R slowly, listening for any change in output or tone.

The only other place to control output if specific patches aren’t working is to Edit any working patch (you mentioned some do), and compare the ValveForce settings to the non working ones.

T

Korg Module/Module Pro
Nektar Panorama T6
Timodeous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
Regards, Tomleitch, just few things:

1. Extreme's tube lifetime is longer that Extreme's market lifetime - we will replace all our Extremes before tubes begin to malfunction (10-15 years lifetime, that is very conservative build tube, long persisted on market and used in many other gear, not only in Extreme)

Here we are its almost 2020, and the tube in my extreme has gone out, ie, not working, audio path severely degraded. Programs without Valve circuitry works fine. Plastic cover over tube was gone when I got this board, and I have since replaced it with a replacement cover, so I can access the tube.

Has anyone replaced the tube, and if so, what tube type is it? I suppose I can take it to the local guitar shop and get a new tube - if its an off the shelf standard. I have read its a T-12AU7A-TAD or a T-12AU7-JJ - and the picture for both show an ECC82 tube. LOL

Thanks!
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Page 214 of the Triton Extreme Parameter Guide, "Valve Force is an analog circuit that uses a 12AU7 (ECC82) vacuum tube."

The original Valve Force vacuum tube in my TREX still works. It has the info below stamped on the tube. "05 08" I suspect is the tube manufacture date (August, 2005). A replacement tube of this brand and model costs about $15.

12AU7A/ECC82EH
electro-harmonix
Made in Russia
05 08
slain_by_silence

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we will replace all our Extremes before tubes begin to malfunction
That's not true for all of us. The extreme is still a keeper for me and I want it to work fine. I bought the 12AU7/ECC82 electro-harmonix tube. In this video you can see where the part is located https://youtu.be/qGe-cOeyvfs?t=338. I hope changing the tube will fix the problem, if not it's maybe caused by the tube board. Well worth trying. Will report how things go.
slain_by_silence

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the people with same issues: Replacing the tube actually did the job. All programs sound again and there is no degraded, or non-audio anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: