Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP:Sync Korg Trinity Sequencer to Record Audio in Cubase 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soniclight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: HELP:Sync Korg Trinity Sequencer to Record Audio in Cubase 6 Reply with quote

System/OS: Windows 7 Home
Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496*
(*2 channel RCA Stereo I/O Audio, old/round MIDI I/O)
DAW Software: Steinberg Cubase v 6.0.7 64-bit
Music Workstation: Korg Trinity

I have had a life-long clinical chronic anxiety condition and so it's often hard for me to be able to concentrate for long periods. It's one reason I have too many unfinished compositions—something I want change.

And why parts of Cubase settings can be a bit overwhelming for me to figure out on my using on-board documentation.

So it has also virtually impossible for me to try to “translate” or mimic some of the posts and tutorials addressing sync that I've seen online for Cubase and far later Korg models (Trinity was a breakthrough in its time, 1993, but it's a relic now).

I also don't use any synth progs like Omnisphere or on-board VST instruments in Cubase. Otherwise put, here is my understanding of what may need to be done for what I wish to do:

Creation of BOTH MIDI and Audio tracks in Cubase whereby only the analog audio tracks would record the music tracks generated by the Korg's sequencer. Due to limitation of my audio card, I'm aware that I have to record each used track in the sequencer's songs - one at a time.

From what I've seen online this may also require the creation of the Trinity as an Instrument as well as and/or instead of and/or in conjunction as a VST instrument. Whatever would be the best, bullet proof set up.

Ideally, I would like to be able to hit Play in the Korg's sequencer at bar 001 and have it trigger record in Cubase, then hit Stop and recording would stop in Cubase. That may or may not be possible, so...

If not, the mission is that ALL the in-Cubase recorded audio tracks line up or start at the exact same position (or chosen cursor position) as they are in the sequencer. That is, being MIDI-accurate - with NO latency.

Which is why it is my understanding that one HAS to create 16 corresponding MIDI tracks in Cubase even though they won't record anything.

Aside from an old Cubase v3 + my Trinity pic to illustrate the unsophisticated but all-I-have gear (excluding small Behringer mixer between computer and Korg)...

Below included are what I am guessing are the places as they are now in Cubase where some of the necessary settings are to be done - or included as FYI if needed. There may be other/s, if so please include in response.

The two screenshots from my Trinity's Global and Sequencer windows are poor quality but should be sufficient for instructions to be offered on how to set Global for the desired setup.

I thank in advance anyone willing to offer effective and easy to follow step-by-step instructions.

~ PSK

(Note: The immediate image above is a combo of the MIDI Device Manager window + what shows up when one hits "Open Device" in the left side of that Manager)

Soniclight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Though considering the age of keyboard and my Cubase being 7 years old...

...probably slim no nil chance anyone will respond to my OP. So if I can't figure this out, I'll have "sync" the old way - set Cubase track ready to record and hit the Space bar (start record) and my sequencer's ST/SP (Play song) as simultaneously as I can with each hand.

I've gotten pretty good at winging it over the years manually re-arranging some MP3 by other artists that I bought (removing verses or repeating them, choruses others, etc.) just by eyeballing it. No tempo tracks, etc.

So if I get no help on this set up, I'll have to rely on my eyes and ears on my own compositions too. At age 64, still have a pretty good ear.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this. I'm sure someone on here would help if they could. Have you tried the Cubase forums?
Soniclight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip - Thanks for reply. Yes, I have posted basically identical posting at Steinberg forum for Cubase 6 - so far, no reply.
SentientClump

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Cubase very little but there should be a place in it to specify that it will be the "slave" and your Trinity will be the "master". It might say something like Clock:External. I see something on your sound card like that but it doesn't appear checked. And yes, set up as many midi tracks in Cubase as you have in your Trinity song and set the channels to correspond with the channels of your tracks on the Trinity. Arm the Cubase midi tracks for recording, start the recorder on the transport control. Cubase should report something like "waiting" for external midi clock" then press Play on your trinity. When the midi is recorded. Change your Cubase clock back to Internal. When you press Play on the Cubase transport control it will play the Trinity like a tone generator (as if your keyboard were a TR-Rack). To record the audio, set up some audio tracks. How many is up to you. You might want drums on a separate track. You might want bass on a separate track, etc. To record the audio, mute all the midi tracks except the one you want to record. Set the input of your audio track to the stereo output of your sound card. Arm the audio track for recording and press the record button on the transport control.
Soniclight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SentientClump - Thanks for detailed reply, makes sense. Got other life stuff going on so music on indefinite pause, but will try this out if/when. NRN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: