Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Realistic 'Bagpipes' registration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Realistic 'Bagpipes' registration Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to create a realistic 'Bagpipes' registration ?
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagpipes are more a function of the performance than the actual sound...

The pitch strip is your best friend here, allowing you do do half-stops, trills, and scoops far more idiomatically than the joystick can. And don't be fooled by some of those bagpipes that have a half stop or shake at high velocities... Pipers do those at will, on quiet notes or loud..! Just like guitarists don't always do hammer ons on loud notes only (one of my pet peeves of those vel-switched guitar sounds!).

Briefly tapping the pitch strip up a tone or so to emphasize the beat or phrase is one of the primary bagpipe idioms. The slightest, quickest of taps, so a pitch isn't really heard, just an interruption of the sound. Even more so on Irish (uilleann) pipes than Scottish.

Sadly, though, this makes them difficult to emulate well in style mode, as you need that LH for the trills and half stops and find yourself rarely having it free from chord input. Possibly, you could program a footswitch to do it, but it would be tricky and still make scoops impossible.

As with most acoustic instruments, particularly winds, if you can nail the idiomatic things the real players do, the sound itself can be quite uninspiring if played conventionally and will still convince the pickiest of listeners. If you can, give those bagpipe samples with the tricks sampled in a miss, and work on emulating them with the pitch strip. In the long run, it will be a far more organic and flexible sound and far more under your control, not the machine's!
keith-helen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I thought the bagpipes in the i3 were good. It might be worth trying them.

Regards

Keith Lawton
and PaAs have now got left handed banjo
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I sat down and managed to create a Bagpipes and Uilllean Registration set (on the Pa700 but should work on the Pa4x also). I changed the split to f4, the drone sounds on the lower split. I found if you play the lower section in Octaves it sounds pretty good) works better without a style.

Feel free to edit, see what you think.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zwYVMpEXWt8Rb84_uWFVz16dxuJKIwqh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: