Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chord Sequence Markers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Chord Sequence Markers Reply with quote

Chord Sequence Markers...

I think this is the next logical step for the evolution of the Chord Sequencer. Currently, a Chord Sequence is hamstrung compared to live input by the nature of it being linear. Record the verse, then chorus1, then bridge then chorus2, that's the structure you are forever tied to.

But allow Markers like SMF's have, and you could now do verse, chorus2, chorus1, verse, bridge, whatever you want. In whatever order you like.

It doesn't strike me as an extremely complicated feature to add, the code for Markers is already in the SMF playback routines, and the CS is essentially just a single channel SMF under another guise. But adding Markers would dramatically expand the CS's usefulness.

I might add, being able to NAME those Markers is probably going to be needed!

What do you think? Is this something Korg should prioritize?

While they are at it, another option for the CS might be the ability to have it auto-start AFTER the Intro. Intros for styles are all different lengths, so the same CS can't be used in multiple styles without you having to hand trigger the start after the Intro (which you yourself may be unsure how long it is!). An option to have the CS auto-start after the Intro would allow its use hands-free on any style...

Something else you'd like to see?

Give me your thoughts about ways the CS can be improved...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....also would be fantastic if the Chord Sequencer would drive the vocal harmoniser similar to when playing a style.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it doesn't is a serious oversight by Korg. To me, nothing seems more obvious. We have a chord track, we have a harmonizer...

What's the holdup, Korg?!

TBH, I'm a little surprised about the lack of interest on this thread. I wonder exactly how many of us actually USE our Chord Sequencers? In fairness, it is a feature that favors those that already can play well two handed, have good bender technique, have a LH that is capable of more than one finger chord input, etc.!

But Korg is a pros' arranger more than most... I would have thought the use of it would be more widespread, and the desire to make it more useful a higher priority. Confused
B.Safe

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my point of view:
If markers can be added to the CS, they should be available for use by VARs, FILLs, etc. (for example, pressing the VAR2 button would jump to the V2 marker). This would probably also solve the intro length question.
Another way to use the CS would be to be able to record the presses on VAR, FILL etc, so that they are also triggered during replay.
And I agree, the VH should also be managed by the CS.

I use the CS on the PA1000, but I suppose it works the same way on both keyboards.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: os Reply with quote

i did not try this .. but ,,,you could take midi out and back in midi ,, not all track and just use the one track in for the harmoniser .. match chxxx to harmoniser ch xxxx
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
Here is my point of view:
If markers can be added to the CS, they should be available for use by VARs, FILLs, etc. (for example, pressing the VAR2 button would jump to the V2 marker). This would probably also solve the intro length question.
Another way to use the CS would be to be able to record the presses on VAR, FILL etc, so that they are also triggered during replay.
And I agree, the VH should also be managed by the CS.

I use the CS on the PA1000, but I suppose it works the same way on both keyboards.

For me, this seems too rigid a solution. Part of the usefulness of the Chord Sequencer is that you DON'T have to have the same Variation for the same song section! If you do, why not simply use SMF's with Markers? Simply repeating the same section with the same Variation is exactly the thing that converting to an SMF and using Markers does best (plus you can edit the bassline and chords for better voice leading, etc.).

But being able to repeat the second verse but at a higher energy level, or a chorus with a lighter feel is what the CS with Markers would do best...

I think it is possible to overwhelm this idea with too many options, too much confusion of operation, when the same results can be done with a quick tap on the marker and back to using the Variation buttons the way you already do.

To a certain degree, the simpler the function we ask for, the more likely it might get added. Overwhelm Korg with too many added things, extra functions and options, and you stand the risk of them not bothering because it is too much to add to the OS.

At its base level, simply adding a few (at least 4) Markers to the CS open up a world of possibilities to the rather rigid way we use it now. Maybe after this makes its appearance (if ever!) it would be the right time to get options added?! Cool
B.Safe

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
At its base level, simply adding a few (at least 4) Markers to the CS open up a world of possibilities to the rather rigid way we use it now. Maybe after this makes its appearance (if ever!) it would be the right time to get options added?! Cool
I'm fine with that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: