Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note dropout in early Kronos models
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrvegas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Note dropout in early Kronos models Reply with quote

When I bought my Kronos back in 2011 or 2012, I remember hearing that some of the early models had a peculiar behavior where notes would cut off or drop out after striking the note. Not all the time, but enough to be unacceptable - was especially noticeable when playing acoustic piano.

I thought my Kronos might have been one of the bad ones, but I was so busy with a new job and family that I never did anything about it.

Can anyone chime in on this?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be referring to a few early units which had a faulty set of rubber contacts (under the keys), apparently from a single bad batch. The solution was simply to replace them with the newer contacts.

A very easy way to make sure about this is to look between the keys using a flashlight to see little "dots". Look into the spaces about midway of any sharp key and you will see tiny rubber dots a few centimeters below them. If they are pink, your keyboard is fine as you have the newer contacts. If they are grey, your unit could (but not necessarily) be among the ones which had the problem.

If ever it would be the case, the contacts themselves are rather inexpensive and they are not difficult to replace for someone with basic electronic repair skills. Otherwise, any decent tech from a local music store can easily do this in about an hour.
Chrutil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

If ever it would be the case, the contacts themselves are rather inexpensive and they are not difficult to replace for someone with basic electronic repair skills. Otherwise, any decent tech from a local music store can easily do this in about an hour.

Right... I actually had my original k88 in at the authorized service center to take care of this (back when it was newish), but they were "never able to reproduce the double struck keys" so they held on to my K88 for three weeks doing nothing until I got tired of their incompetence and took it back.
This is mainly the reason I have never bought another Korg, fwiw.
Now I would love to fix this myself, do you have any links to the new contacts I need to buy?

Thanks!
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the the same problem with a "refurbished" K88 some years ago...this was when Korg had just come out with the replacement (blue) contact strips, so it took me a couple of months of emails and phone calls (including a similar several weeks at an authorized repair shop that didn't fix the problem) to get new contact strips from Parts Is Parts and install them myself...the part number for the 12 point contact strip is:

https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/korg-contact-strip-12-point-kronos-500422008889

...it's not difficult to install the new strips, you just need to be careful (of course) and take your time opening the instrument, removing keys, etc...and it does take some time...

df
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrutil wrote:
KK wrote:

Right... I actually had my original k88 in at the authorized service center to take care of this (back when it was newish), but they were "never able to reproduce the double struck keys" so they held on to my K88 for three weeks doing nothing until I got tired of their incompetence and took it back.
This is mainly the reason I have never bought another Korg, fwiw.
Now I would love to fix this myself, do you have any links to the new contacts I need to buy?

Thanks!

C

I also reside in the SF bay area. The Korg Kronos defect was widely known and understood, even as intermittent .

Can you share the Korg auth service center location that was sleepy on service ?
I want to make sure I avoid them
navydave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Note dropout in early Kronos models Reply with quote

mrvegas wrote:
When I bought my Kronos back in 2011 or 2012, I remember hearing that some of the early models had a peculiar behavior where notes would cut off or drop out after striking the note. Not all the time, but enough to be unacceptable - was especially noticeable when playing acoustic piano.

I thought my Kronos might have been one of the bad ones, but I was so busy with a new job and family that I never did anything about it.

Can anyone chime in on this?

Mine is starting to do this. 1st edition Kronos 61. Noticed it happening on F3 and G3
mrvegas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if somebody did a youtube video of how to open the board, remove the keybed (?) and install the contact strips. Unlikely, however.
Chrutil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
I had exactly the the same problem with a "refurbished" K88 some years ago...this was when Korg had just come out with the replacement (blue) contact strips, so it took me a couple of months of emails and phone calls (including a similar several weeks at an authorized repair shop that didn't fix the problem) to get new contact strips from Parts Is Parts and install them myself...the part number for the 12 point contact strip is:

https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/korg-contact-strip-12-point-kronos-500422008889

...it's not difficult to install the new strips, you just need to be careful (of course) and take your time opening the instrument, removing keys, etc...and it does take some time...

df

Perfect, thanks!!
I'll check it out, I have no problem opening up the beast so as long as it is not too complex it should be fine.
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Chrutil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I also reside in the SF bay area. The Korg Kronos defect was widely known and understood, even as intermittent .

Can you share the Korg auth service center location that was sleepy on service ?

I don't seem to have the name of them anywhere, I searched through my email but this was probably back in 2012.
I remember they were located on a side street somewhere down by the end of Market street in SF, maybe around Market/Franklin.

navydave wrote:

Mine is starting to do this. 1st edition Kronos 61. Noticed it happening on F3 and G3

I don't think that's the same thing since this specific problem was limited to the 88 key RH3 keyboard.
I haven't heard any 61 keyboard issues, but since I don't have that one I haven't really kept track either.

mrvegas wrote:
It would be nice if somebody did a youtube video of how to open the board, remove the keybed (?) and install the contact strips. Unlikely, however.

If/when I get to it I'll try to make a video, will probably be a few months since I have lots of things lined up (Building a Black Corporation Kijimi, designing and building a 16 voice OB-X clone, building a Deckard's Dream Expander and replacing pratt-read bushings on my old PPG this summer), but when I do I'll make sure to post it here.

Thanks,
C
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrutil wrote:
GregC wrote:

I don't seem to have the name of them anywhere, I searched through my email but this was probably back in 2012.
I remember they were located on a side street somewhere down by the end of Market street in SF, maybe around Market/Franklin.

C

Only 1 in SF , that I can find is:
PRO AV RESOURCE
3150 18TH ST
STE101/BOX101
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94110-2074
This is Mission District.

the 1 you recall is closer to Civic Center. Maybe they are gone or moved ?
Chrutil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Chrutil wrote:
GregC wrote:

C

Only 1 in SF , that I can find is:
PRO AV RESOURCE
3150 18TH ST
STE101/BOX101
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94110-2074
This is Mission District.

the 1 you recall is closer to Civic Center. Maybe they are gone or moved ?

Yeah... hard to say, I guess it could have been that far down (I'm coming from up North). I looked on Google street view on 18th street store front and it does look somewhat familiar - I recall it was just an unmarked door..
Sorry I can't say for sure, it's been too long.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrutil wrote:

Thanks!
C

Be careful before ordering and first check the plastic foot color on the keys, since you might need the pink contacts instead of the blue. There is an alternative part on the link provided above, depending on the color.

About how to do it, I could guide if necessary. Once you got the action out, I strongly recommend to place it suspended or lifted by the edges (for example on pieces of wood). If there is any weight on the keys while upside down, it is difficult because they will push against the rubber contacts and you don't want to break their plastic supports when screwing them back up.
Sweat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had this same problem with my K73 when I purchased in 2011. It was very noticeable. I remember we had a couple of long threads here to discuss and help resolve the issue. IIRC, the problem was a result of either faulty rubber contacts, software, or both. I never replaced the contacts on mine, but after installing an OS update that Korg released, my issue was resolved. I never had a problem since.
Chrutil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

Be careful before ordering and first check the plastic foot color on the keys, since you might need the pink contacts instead of the blue. There is an alternative part on the link provided above, depending on the color.

About how to do it, I could guide if necessary. Once you got the action out, I strongly recommend to place it suspended or lifted by the edges (for example on pieces of wood). If there is any weight on the keys while upside down, it is difficult because they will push against the rubber contacts and you don't want to break their plastic supports when screwing them back up.

Great advice thanks!
I'll open her up before ordering to make sure I get the correct part.
I assume I need 8 of these and have to cut one to fit the remaining keys?

Thanks,
C
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber contact colour is not that significant as they were changed from pink to blue then pink.
Ordering new current ones should be fine.

Replacement is a fairly straightforward task.

This is one video that may help with the actual proceedure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB8ASrfKkcE

It may be better to support the unit to ensure the keys are not actually depressed while in the upturned position.
This will aid the correct location of the rubber strips so that they’re laying completely flat prior to refitting the contact board.

Otherwise,the video seems to be a good and useful tutorial.

Best Wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: