Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master Volume with Foot Pedal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JShepherd87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Master Volume with Foot Pedal Reply with quote

I'm sure it's something simple, but my internet searches have come up empty.

I'm trying to use either my Moog EP-3 expression pedal or ErnieBall volume pedal to control master volume. I've plugged both into the assignable pedal port and I feel I've assigned them correctly through Global -> Controllers -> Foot Pedal Assign -> Master Volume. But they both either mute the keyboard or do nothing at all. I've tried every possible combination of switch, dial, and pedal position on the Moog, the ErnieBall has only the latter. I've also tried resetting "foot pedal behavior" with no luck. I know the pedals work because they can control damper, albeit awkwardly. Should be so easy. What am I missing?
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be easy, you are right Smile
1) Check that you plugged pedal into right jack ("Pedal" and not "Damper" nor "Switch") and "Main Volume" knob on panel is set to somewhere middle (Master volume pedal control does not replace Main Volume knob but controls level between 0 and Main Volume setting)
2) Check the cable - you must have 6mm TRS (three wires) cable
3) Check, if pedal has some adjusting knob (my Roland EV-5 has and similar I see on EP-3 side) or polarity/mode switch - experiment with these. In order to control anything smoothly through "Pedal" jack, the device connected must be in "Pedal" (or "Standard") mode that generally puts adjustable resistor/potentiometer there.
4) At Global->Controllers set "Foot pedal behavior"->Keep current"
5) Check "Foor pedal assign->Master volume", try to set to some easily recognizable effect (e.g. PAN) and see if pedal gives effect?
6) If nothing gives master volume control, check pedal with some measuring tool (measure resistance changing between cotacts or let some wire guy do that for you)
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alland suggested, the pedal should be plugged into the Pedal jack socket, and in Global | Controllers/Scales set Foot Pedal Assign to Expression (CC#11).

The potentiometer values in the Moog EP-3 and Ernie Ball passive pedals should work OK with the Kronos. However, the Moog pedal will need the tip and ring connections in the connecting cable crossed over to work with the Kronos, and the Ernie Ball will have a logarithmic pot, so most of the volume change will be at the top (toe down) end of the pedal travel. The Ernie Ball volume pedal will also need some sort of adapter cable. Do NOT use the Ernie Ball pedal if it is an active volume pedal!!

JShepherd87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really appreciate the help, but I'm still stumped on this.

- definitely plugged into the right jack: "Pedal"
- main volume knob's in the middle
- tried two different TRS cables, which work with other devices
- the Moog EP-3 has adjustable settings and I've tried every combination
- the Ernie Ball doesn't, and I've tried it
- foot pedal behavior is "keep current"
- foot pedal assign is "Master Volume"
- none of the other settings make any noticeable difference

I haven't tried a resistance check, I don't think I have the tools, but both pedals are new and I feel like odds are low that both are lemons.

I don't understand all of voip's suggestions, but maybe he's onto the problem? Could you elaborate?

- From the global controllers tab I've set the Foot Pedal Assign to Expression (CC#11) but that doesn't in and of itself make an audible difference either, and then I can't set it to Master Volume, which is my goal.

- the Moog Pedal will need the tip and ring connections crossed over? Like one end's tip is the other end's ring? I don't see that sold anywhere, though I don't even know what search term to enter. I don't think I'm understanding this correctly.

- the Ernie Ball volume pedal will also need some sort of adapter cable? Another "cross over" cable? Tip to ring, ring to tip? I can find TRS to TS, or TRRS.

the Ernie Ball's not an active volume pedal.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Did you try "normal/standard" switch on pedal bottom?
2) Did you try assign pedal to some other effect e.g. pan and see, if it gives effect at all?
See some material realted to EP-3 pedal at
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=763869
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Ball sells a stereo volume pedal made for keyboards. Just connect it between the L/R outputs of your KB and your amp or mixer. Done! No global changes are needed.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Master Volume with Foot Pedal Reply with quote

JShepherd87 wrote:

I'm trying to use either my Moog EP-3 expression pedal or ErnieBall volume pedal to control master volume. I've plugged both into the assignable pedal port and I feel I've assigned them correctly through Global -> Controllers -> Foot Pedal Assign -> Master Volume. But they both either mute the keyboard or do nothing at all. I've tried every possible combination of switch, dial, and pedal position on the Moog, the ErnieBall has only the latter. I've also tried resetting "foot pedal behavior" with no luck. I know the pedals work because they can control damper, albeit awkwardly. Should be so easy. What am I missing?

Does the Ernie Ball actually have an Expression pedal function?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about the polarity switch on the bottom of the Moog EP-3. This swaps the tip and ring connections over inside the pedal, so there should be no need for an adapter cable. The trim knob position will probably need to be at one end of its travel. Also, as mentioned by Alland, expression pedals require a TRS (Tip, Ring Sleeve) cable. A stereo jack to jack cable will do. A mono cable won't work.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Master Volume with Foot Pedal Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
JShepherd87 wrote:

Does the Ernie Ball actually have an Expression pedal function?

The EB pedals I have are volume pedals only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: