Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavetable Synthesis on Kronos - Open Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Wavetable Synthesis on Kronos - Open Discussion Reply with quote

All,
Am starting this topic to discuss some ideas to try for kinda wavetable synthesis through HD-1 engine.

it's obvious that wave sequencing is going to be integral part of the process,
however I am not much proficient in that.

I am planing on this workflow.

1: Create KSC fie for each wavetable.
2: The KSC will be a collection of wav multisamples. i.e each multisample being usually single cycle wavform or perhaps not.
3: the wave seq could auto run (am not too keen on this) or one could use Some modulation for MS offset.

I don't have much understanding on how the AMS parameters map to wave seq position, like moving though different wave seq etc.

any ideas, thougths are most welcomed.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Drummond

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensoniq Transwaves?
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though all the Wavestation wavetables were in the Kronos. Those won't work?

..Joe
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course all samples in KRONOS would work,
However I was more looking into micro samples.

Here's progress report.
I wrote a program yesterday that takes a mono sample and splits that into smaller chunks , in factors of 10 ms (KRONOS minimum).
The collection of waves are converted to multisamples and imported into KRONOS, then a wave seq is built from those multisamples, with duration set to sample length.

Have not tested the wav seq enough, but the initial results were not very positive.

Will work on some longer samples and see where It leads to.
If anyone needs to try to test themselves, send me the wav file sample (mono16 bit for now), and I can split and send you the splitted multisamples {pcg / KSC) for your experiments.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like an interesting project. I haven't used wavesequencing much, but here's a few ideas for you.

1) Go through both the Operation Guide and the Parameter Guide looking for all information on wave sequencing. To search quickly, hit CTRL + F to open the search window, and type in "wave seq" to highlight instances of "wave sequences / sequencing". Hit the ENTER button to hop to the next instance to read up on.

For example:
If you need to use KARMA Wave Sequencing with your
own sample data, you must load it into Sampling Mode.
(Page 165, Operations Guide v3.0.2)

=======================

2) Under Tone Adjust in the Control Surface section, note that you can assign many different types of parameters to the knobs, switches, and faders. For example, if you click the drop down arrow next to Fader 1, you'll open the choice of parameter to assign to that fader. You already knew this, of course, but note that there are several specific wave-sequence (WS) parameters:

[OSC1] MS / WS / D Kit Select
[OSC1] MS / WS type
[OSC1] MS / WS / D Kit Minimum #
[OSC1] MS / WS / D Kit Maximum #

=======================

3) Of course, you'll want to spend the majority of time in GLOBAL, in the Wave Sequencing section. Presumably, you can load your own custom wave sequence, then edit parameters such as:

-- which wave sequence step to start and end on, and how many steps there are,
-- the quantization and swing settings,
-- loop settings,
-- key sync (note the logic on this seems to me to be reversed, i.e, key sync "off" actually means the WS starts upon note-on, whereas "on" means the WS is free-running),
-- modulations options (like Wave Sequence AMS 1 Out)

=======================

4) One immediate gratification parameter is the Note-On Advance (GLOBAL / Wave Seq tab / Seq Parameter tab). When I went to the GLOBAL Wave Sequencing tab, Orchestra/Band HITS was already loaded. When you play a key, you get that cliche full orchestra hit sound, which is the same each time you press the key. But when you enable Note-On Advance, then each time you press a key it cycles to the next sound in the wave sequence. Fun.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Amit,

It's being a long time since you posted this.

How about your question ? Did you do any progress ?

Like you, I'm looking for creating wavestables.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in a quick way to demo some wavesequences:

1) Call up an INIT program.
2) Go the the OSC / Pitch tab.
3) On the Osc1 Basic page, you have up to 8 multisamples you can layer.

4) For MS 1, choose WSeq (instead of Off or Multi). It defaults to Orch / Band Hits.
5) Touch the dropdown arrow by Orch/Band HITs and choose another WaveSequence instead.
6) Set the Bottom Velocity to 100.

7) For MS 2, choose WSeq. Choose another Wavesequence.
8.) Set the Bottom Velocity to 75.

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: