Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KronosX Audio board is Ka-Poot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feather

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: KronosX Audio board is Ka-Poot Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to remove the KLM3363 audio board. Didnt have the time or money to have (local)KASC repair it. In the meantime I’ll be using my trusty M3. Can someone on this forum recommend someone reputable so I’m not wasting money on replacement parts. If this is a design flaw with Korg, ill deal with that later.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like audio output issues are starting to come up more often lately.
Mine started earlier this year or late last year.

And i think my ownership is only at the 4 or 5 year mark.
I bought Kronos thinking it would be a 10 year rig with the potential to go 20.

I still think that 10-20 years is possible but not without repairs every few years, and hopefully not turning into a discontinued parts dead end before the 10 or 19 year mark.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: KronosX Audio board is Ka-Poot Reply with quote

Feather wrote:
Finally got a chance to remove the KLM3363 audio board. Didnt have the time or money to have (local)KASC repair it. In the meantime I’ll be using my trusty M3. Can someone on this forum recommend someone reputable so I’m not wasting money on replacement parts. If this is a design flaw with Korg, ill deal with that later.

A design flaw would have been fleshed out 8 years ago.

Likely a buggy component.
Feather

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg ive never had an audio board fail on a Korg synth since my first M1 purchase in (1988). While the Kronos is a powerful tool for musicians, i believe more focus should have been spent on engineering a better solution for the analog audio stream. I suspect the mute transistors used on “some” early AND X models have caused the symptoms ive explained. The customer should not be the proving ground. 4 other local KB players have had same issues. Appreciate your support.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feather wrote:
Greg ive never had an audio board fail on a Korg synth since my first M1 purchase in (1988). While the Kronos is a powerful tool for musicians, i believe more focus should have been spent on engineering a better solution for the analog audio stream. I suspect the mute transistors used on “some” early AND X models have caused the symptoms ive explained. The customer should not be the proving ground. 4 other local KB players have had same issues. Appreciate your support.

that is a bad trend. I am not making any excuses for any co, especially on a $3000-$4000 keyboard.

The horses are wayyyyyyy out of the barn for re-engineering Kronos or Korg upgrading a component.

I see your design point , now. My contention, is that its a low quality component from a 3rd party. Or a bad batch. And Kronos owners have to tolerate the issue.

Korg service tech are the best ones to discuss flaws. I always recommend a serious 1/1 with them.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feather wrote:
I suspect the mute transistors used on “some” early AND X models have caused the symptoms ive explained. The customer should not be the proving ground. 4 other local KB players have had same issues.

GregC wrote:
that is a bad trend.

I hope it doesn't continue! Anxious

My Mackie mixer has been out in the garage for months. Haven't needed it. I run all sorts of gear through my Kronos Line, S/P DIF, and USB inputs - OASYS, Virus TI, two Deepminds, a Boog, microphones, IPad, and the occasional guitar. Was sampling sounds from my E-MU E4 the other day.

Back when I had my Tritons, I did manage to fry the audio inputs, when I ran an ungrounded projector through them. The projector was playing fast, so I was using the Triton's pitch shifter to keep the audio sounding normal for some film transfers. Was working great until I blew the inputs. I did manage to get them fixed. There were a lot more techs to take care of my gear, 15 - 20 years ago.

Really sorry to hear about any issues. Did you by chance do what I did, which was blow the board by running something hot or not grounded through it? What do you usually plug into the inputs? You sound pretty tech saavy. I'll take your word on the mute transistors, but just curious if it was a "fry" issue.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a keyboard technician the most common audio board failure (any brand) that I see is the accidental exposure to fantom power. Next, is connecting the keyboard to an audio device with ground problems either in the device or the building wiring. Fantom power will knock out the muting transistors for sure.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Phantom Power and why do I need it?

Article #31340 Updated on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:00 AM

Phantom Power or +48V is a method of sending an electrical current through a microphone cable. It is most widely used as a power source for condenser microphones.

Condenser microphone capsules require preamplification in very close proximity. This requires a power source so that the signal can be amplified before traveling very far. In addition, true condenser microphones (as opposed to electret) require a voltage for polarizing the microphone’s transducer element. Phantom power provides a voltage for both these purposes.

Dynamic microphones do not require phantom power. Plugging a dynamic microphone into a preamp on which phantom power is enabled will neither affect the sound or damage the microphone. Ribbon microphones should never be plugged into a preamp with phantom power engaged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: