Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affect th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affect th Reply with quote

I created a wavesequence and added some data to the column denoted as AMS Out 1. I wanted to see what I could then modulate with that data.

Then I created a "Double" HD1 program, and assigned that WS as a sound source in OSC 1, and a different multisample in OSC 2.

In testing these, am I correct that then specifying "Wave Seq AMS Out1" as an AMS mod source only affects parameters in OSC1 (which houses the WS)? That the WS can only affect the OSC that it is a part of, and the AMS Out 1 data in the column can't be used to affect OSC2?

Thanks for the help.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excerpt from the “Operation Guide” book for kronos.
Not the same as Parameter guide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Modulating Program parameters per step
Each step has two AMS Output values. These act kind of like step sequencers, allowing you to modulate any AMS destination in the Program. In other words, virtually any Program-level parameter can have a different setting for each step of the Wave Sequence.
For instance, to adjust the Filter Frequency separately for each step:
1. Select the Program that you’ll use for the Wave Sequence.
2. Go to the Filter Mod 1 tab of the Filter page.
This page has the filter modulation parameters for OSC1.
3. Under Filter A Modulation, set one of the AMS sources to Wave Seq AMS Out1.
4. Set the Intensity as desired.
This means that the AMS 1 output will modulate the Filter Frequency. Now, you just need to set up the Wave Sequence to send values out:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It simply says “Any Program-level Parameter” and even compares it to Step-Sequencer which includes “Common Step-Sequencer”.

Best way to be sure is to try it on a very noticeable parameter, like the filter mentioned above. Then bring the Amp down on each OSC to isolate the sound from each, to see if any OSC is isolated from the AMS Source you ask about.
Program-Level parameters sounds to me like something over all OSC in the program. But i cannot be sure what it means until i try it out.
I would be sure to go to OSC 1 & 2 tab pages and try all the AMS options on the OSC pitch pages.
Those are the only pages with AMS options that are particular to OSC 1 or 2. If it is Program level versus OSC level parameters, then the Wave sequence as source should not even be an available option for AMS on the OSC pitch pages.
It should show up as available source, only on Program-level Parameters which exist outside of any of the OSC 1 or 2 tab pages.

I may be wrong, but my real point here is to explore it based on what the book says and find the right answer based on trying AMS options within OSC tab pages and then trying AMS options outside of OSC tab pages.
I don’t have kronos with me to explore for myself.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, first go to the parameter you want to edit. Look for the corresponding AMS dropdown menu.

In there, you'll see that WavSeq AMS Out can be assigned to it, regardless of which OSC the parameter belongs to.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One fun thing to do with the Wav Seq Out is to assign it to filter cutoff (which is not associated with any OSC).

You can get a Sample and Hold effect if you put the WavSeq steps to random values.

Or you could get a slowly rising filter cutoff if you set the Seq steps to increment slowly.

If you're really feeling adventurous, you could put the filters in parallel, make them both bandpass, and link them with an offset of about 15. Put Filter A's cutoff to about 30-45.

Now, if you use the Wav Seq to move the filter cutoff, you get a talking effect. Cool
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affec Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
am I correct that then specifying "Wave Seq AMS Out1" as an AMS mod source only affects parameters in OSC1 (which houses the WS)? That the WS can only affect the OSC that it is a part of, and the AMS Out 1 data in the column can't be used to affect OSC2?

Thanks for the help.

That is correct. Wave sequence AMS out 1 & 2 only effect parameters of the oscillator they are patched into. Think of the different oscillators as separate programs. For all intents and purposes they are, other than sharing a pitch EG.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affec Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
yeskeys wrote:
am I correct that then specifying "Wave Seq AMS Out1" as an AMS mod source only affects parameters in OSC1 (which houses the WS)? That the WS can only affect the OSC that it is a part of, and the AMS Out 1 data in the column can't be used to affect OSC2?

Thanks for the help.

That is correct. Wave sequence AMS out 1 & 2 only effect parameters of the oscillator they are patched into. Think of the different oscillators as separate programs. For all intents and purposes they are, other than sharing a pitch EG.

Charles, I appreciate all the technical videos you've released, they're very helpful.

But I'm afraid you're incorrect on this one. Atm, I have a dual OSC HD1 program where Wave Sequence AMS Out 1 is affecting OSC2 pitch EG. Granted, I had to go indirectly via an AMS Mixer, since on both OSC pitch EG the Seq Out parameters are grayed out, but it works. Also, affecting pitch this is way is not very useful, as only the attack portion seems to be affected. More useful is using WS Seq Out on filter cutoff.

Again, you can tell whether or not something can function as a modulation source by going first to the destination parameter. In that AMS dropdown menu, whatever is not grayed out is available as a mod source.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried again last night to make an OSC1 wavesequence's AMS outputs to affect any parameters on OSC2, but couldn't do it.

Perhaps the AMS mixer is the way.

There are still about 1000 other things I still want to explore on the Kronos, so I'll put it on the back burner. Discovering is where the fun is.

Thanks gentlemen.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affec Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Charles, I appreciate all the technical videos you've released, they're very helpful.

But I'm afraid you're incorrect on this one. Atm, I have a dual OSC HD1 program where Wave Sequence AMS Out 1 is affecting OSC2 pitch EG. Granted, I had to go indirectly via an AMS Mixer, since on both OSC pitch EG the Seq Out parameters are grayed out, but it works. Also, affecting pitch this is way is not very useful, as only the attack portion seems to be affected. More useful is using WS Seq Out on filter cutoff.

Thanks for the compliment Smile
In my post I mentioned that the oscillators share a pitch eg so what you’re saying makes sense. AMS out from a wave sequence plopped into osc 1 should be able to effect the pitch of osc 2 via the pitch eg. Now that I think about it though, if you wanted to modulate osc 2 cutoff with osc 1’s wave seq AMS out you could still do that through the pitch eg! It’s an inconvenient workaround but totally doable.
I’d need to double check to make sure it’s possible to patch the pitch eg into cutoff within HD-1 but I’m pretty sure it is.

Last edited by CharlesFerraro on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affec Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
In my post I mentioned that the oscillators share a pitch eg so what you’re saying makes sense.

Almost. There is a common Pitch EG, but there is also a per OSCx Pitch/Pitch EG.

I successfully assigned Wav Seq Out 1 to OSC2 Pitch/Pitch EG.

You can also assign WS Seq Out 1 to OSC2 Pitch/LFO. The first method only seems to affect the very first step of the WS. The 2nd method has a more pronounced, if useless effect.

In other words, if you want to get a step sequenced progression using HD1, best to program that within the WS itself, rather than using WS Seq Out X to then modulate OSCx pitch/pitch EG or LFO. HTH
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affec Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
yeskeys wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Again, you can tell whether or not something can function as a modulation source by going first to the destination parameter. In that AMS dropdown menu, whatever is not grayed out is available as a mod source.

Charles is correct; in fact, the Wave Sequence AMS outs are per-OSC, per-voice. Note that both OSC can each have multiple Wave Sequences, so it wouldn't work for the Wave Sequence of one to affect the other.

The Pitch EG is strange, since it shares parameters for both OSC1 and OSC2, but of course it runs per voice, just like the Filter and Amp EGs. If it really does work as you describe, maybe you've found a bug specific to the Pitch EG and AMS Mixers - I don't know!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wave Seq "AMS Out1" data column can only affec Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
In my post I mentioned that the oscillators share a pitch eg so what you’re saying makes sense.

Almost. There is a common Pitch EG, but there is also a per OSCx Pitch/Pitch EG.

Almost, again. Smile Each voice of each OSC has a Pitch EG, just like each voice also has a Filter EG and an Amp EG. In the case of the Pitch EG, a single set of parameters are shared for both OSC - but each envelope runs per voice. There is no "common" EG in addition to the per-voice EGs.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dan Phillips ! Good to see you again around here. Cool Smile
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I do see now that there is one Pitch EG. And that each OSC has its own Pitch EG parameter area that can be individually set, but that references back the one Pitch EG. What I was able to do was route WS Seq Out 1 to both/either OSC's Pitch EG and LFO. Again, not really musically useful, but there ya go.

Thanks for clarifying, Dan. Been a long time since we've seen you around.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Mr Dan Phillips ! Good to see you again around here. Cool Smile

I saw Dan's name and thought this must be an old thread. Mr. Green Cool Mr. Green Hey, Dan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: