Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why no piano roll in Kronos sequencer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Why no piano roll in Kronos sequencer? Reply with quote

The M3 has it. Would be a nice addition to the Kronos. I wonder why it was not included, it seems the code is already out there....
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no piano roll in Kronos sequencer? Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
The M3 has it. Would be a nice addition to the Kronos. I wonder why it was not included, it seems the code is already out there....

this was reported about 100x.
It won't happen. That ship sailed long ago.

The M3 is not exactly the Kronos, anyway.

Kronos is a progression from Oasys. It am curious if Oasys had that SEQ feature.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why no piano roll in Kronos sequencer? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Kronos is a progression from Oasys. It am curious if Oasys had that SEQ feature.

OASYS did not have piano-roll. This is strictly a development of the M3/Krome chain of source code, which is completely different. People tend to think that all Korg keyboards use the same source code, but there are two distinctly different source code chains (actually 3 if you include Korg Italy's PA series...). So just because M3/Krome has piano-roll, does not in any way mean it is simple to somehow add it to Kronos. But this has been discussed thousands of times here. Wink

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no piano roll in Kronos sequencer? Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
GregC wrote:

OASYS did not have piano-roll. This is strictly a development of the M3/Krome chain of source code, which is completely different. People tend to think that all Korg keyboards use the same source code, but there are two distinctly different source code chains (actually 3 if you include Korg Italy's PA series...). So just because M3/Krome has piano-roll, does not in any way mean it is simple to somehow add it to Kronos. But this has been discussed thousands of times here. Wink

Excellent, Stephen. I have always thought history and knowledge is important Smile
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. As an early adopter/purchaser of both the KARMA and M3, I wasn't aware there were separate development paths. I just recently got on the Kronos train (why did I wait so long?, it's amazing).

The sequencer event editing is kind of kludgy. I'm trying to make the switch from using a DAW to Kronos. A keyboard of this caliber really deserves a better sequencer interface.

I am NOT complaining, as I am incredibly satisfied with Kronos. Just hoping it gets addressed at some point, though there are workarounds.

Your local master of the obvious,
Eric
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
Thanks for the info. As an early adopter/purchaser of both the KARMA and M3, I wasn't aware there were separate development paths. I just recently got on the Kronos train (why did I wait so long?, it's amazing).

The sequencer event editing is kind of kludgy. I'm trying to make the switch from using a DAW to Kronos. A keyboard of this caliber really deserves a better sequencer interface.

I am NOT complaining, as I am incredibly satisfied with Kronos. Just hoping it gets addressed at some point, though there are workarounds.

Eric

I enjoy the heck [ of the SEQ] and am productive using the SEQ. Software will always be half a light year more advanced. etc etc.

I think AKAI has decent w/s for recording. Yamaha has a good approach with Montage/MODX and Cubase
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:

Eric

Stick with it. It's worth making the switch. I am infinitely more productive on the Kronos for a number of reasons, and have just fully made the switch to an Out-of-the-box recording setup, having spent a decade trying just about every major DAW and constantly fighting jitter and latency. For the record, I'm in my mid-30s and first started playing with audio recording and sequencing in the early 90s.

One of the things that I love about the Kronos is that it isn't overly visual. Forces one to listen to, rather than read, the music. Though, I've never much liked piano roll views anyway - I don't find them that easy to work with compared to just re-recording the part.

A couple of tips: You can use the Preferences -> Remove Data option to hold down a note whilst recording to erase just that note. Also, you can always use step record to overdub new notes to an existing part.

There is one thing I would love to see added to the Kronos though - in the event list view, at the very least it could show where the event ends, rather than just the duration of the event. But mental arithmetic can fill that particular void Smile

Good luck on your journey.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
yeskeys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird, I like the Kronos sequencer because it seems very solid. I'm almost 60 and I started with the original Macintosh, I used Opcode StudioVision, ProTools version 1, I got so much done with those early systems as I was doing music for radio and TV commercials, everything locked to time code flawlessly, I was cranking stuff out daily for over a decade -and now it seems that Logic on my Macbook Pro NEVER works right, is always choking using synth plugins, it's a true pain. So I'm embracing the Kronos because it does work properly.

Thanks so much for the tip on isolating a note.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, sorry for double post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: