Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm back - with a USB/MIDI question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: I'm back - with a USB/MIDI question Reply with quote

Hi All,

Been away for ages, but I've come back to the font of all Korg knowledge with a question about my Kronos.
It's been hooked into my system via old-school MIDI and 1/4" and has been very happy. Both of us were/are.

HOWEVER, I'm now looking at a little live rig with Kronos and a Mac/LPX over USB.

Now I've got the DAW output happening fine, BUT, and I'm embarrassed to say, I just can't for the life of me get the INTERNAL Kronos sounds to play over USB MIDI.

You know - VERY old school: 16-ch sequencing using a Combi for my sounds.

I know it will work over MIDI (5pin) as it has before, but I want to use USB.

Can someone kindly shed some light on this - the Internet has shown me all sorts of stuff to do with everything BUT this case (presumably as its so bleddy easy! Very Happy )

HELP! Very Happy

DAn
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos USB has two parts. Audio and Midi. They share the same line over USB- B port of Kronos. USB- A ports of Kronos, are Midi and disk mode’s file data only.

So if you want Kronos midi only, use any of the USB ports of Kronos.
If you want Kronos internal Audio and Midi together, then use USB-B port of Kronos.
Whatever mode you are in for playing kronos internal sounds, you will have the sampling page and you will find an Audio input tab page for setting up where the audio will come from.
The Audio page has a column for USB L&R stereo mix of audio. Set both L and R the same for balanced stereo over USB. Set the row for “Bus select” to your kronos L/R output or any of the IFX if you want to use kronos IFX.
This should allow your MAC sounds to enter kronos and sound out through Kronos L/R output.
It should not interfere either with Kronos normal internal sound output at L/R out of Kronos.

If you were trying to get Kronos internal sounds to go out over USB audio and into MAC, then Kronos automatically sends L/R output over USB-B and your sound needs to be setup in the MAC system to route out of whatever sound system the MAC is using.

I use Kronos as the sound system and route my iPad into Kronos over USB-B.
The iPad sounds come into kronos and play out through Kronos L/R output which i also routed in Global audio, to come out of Indiv-1/2 or 3/4...

Describe what you have for wiring setup and which device has the lines going to the speakers or mixer+speakers.
I am assuming your problem is on the Audio side of USB line and not the midi side of it.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Nothing amiss with what I'm doing.

Ok to clarify what the set up is:-

Mac.
LPX
K61 connected via USB-B.
Audio out of K61 going to monitors

LPX has the Korg driver, and is found in Logic's setup.
So LPX has "Kronos Sound" as its audio I/O

(Setting up the sampling page or from the Audio In Combi - I can hear the click from LPX - so sound works: and it also plays my Logic tracks)

K61 MIDI setup

In Logic's Environment page, I've got a single Multi-instrument (all channels enabled) and set to Kronos Sound in "Port" section.
Also named "Kronos" - for clarity

New Ext. MIDI track - set to Kronos Midi ch1

Back to K61 - Initial Combi called up (sound still working as I can hear a click whatever from LPX)

All 16 channels set to "EXT" on status (and all on sequential MIDI ch)

I've drawn in some test notes on the track.

I'm missing the next step - as when I set up an audio track in LPX to record any resultant audio, it only records the click THROUGH the K61. No internal K sounds record. Or even play on "soft-thru".

It's something simple, but I just can't think what it is! (If you need help on an SSL Duality, or that type of stuff, EASY!! Very Happy but this is breaking my head)

Dan

[/u]
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All 16 channels set to "EXT" on status (and all on sequential MIDI ch)

Try setting your channels to INT instead. EXT is meant for the Kronos to control external gear from its keyboard, and that's why I think you aren't getting any sound from the K...
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange:

I'd initially set up the combi as internal patches and had no joy with sound.
So I'd changed it over to "ext" - (I've used the "ext" status before for my live work - triggering sounds from my XP30).
My reasoning being that to get the Kronos to transmit out on the channel, get midi-routed BACK into the K61 via the DAW.

Anyway, the strange thing is that I've gone back to just setting a boggo initial combi to "INT", and low and behold, it's working fine.
WHY this wasn't working yesterday is somewhat baffling. But it's working now Smile
I suspect I'd got so bogged-down in the processes, I went up my own "input" Wink

But sorted now - thanks Smile

I do have another question, but I'll put up a different post for that! Very Happy

Cheers

Dan
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad its sorted. :)

Quote:
My reasoning being that to get the Kronos to transmit out on the channel, get midi-routed BACK into the K61 via the DAW.

If you do this, you may need to turn off Local Control in Global to avoid duplicate notes on the Kronos. No need to set to EXT either. Timbres set to INT will still output MIDI. It can all get quite complex, depending on which mode you're in, i.e. Combi versus Sequencer, whether KARMA is running or how its configured... Expect to be baffled endlessly and be grateful for small miracles when it works as intended. LOL. :)
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Expect to be baffled endlessly and be grateful for small miracles when it works as intended. LOL. Smile

Very Happy
arapahoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync. Any chance you could look at my recent post about “ MIDI Miscoception”?

I can’t get the KK to do anything with with vst’s in Cubase on my Mac.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: