Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Roland Fantom 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland could have stolen a march on the workstation world by making, rather than simply clip-based sequencing, a setup where you could line up clips on a timeline, in parallel with each other, as per Caustic, or Sunvox. Much more flexible, and even if it's not ideal for composing a six part fugue, a great contender for some kind of song mode. Combine that with the piano roll on the individual clips, and you have a lot of power for the studio.

Instead we get what amounts to a bunch of snapshots. For about 75% of the cost I could get a Kronos that will do much more, or for about 30% of the cost I could get a Casio that will do about the same.

I really get the feeling that Roland expects people not to do composition on a workstation, because of very important reasons-that-shall-not-be-discussed.
DREY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEQUENCING
FANTOM is a complete musical composition platform that excels at fast creation and fluid arrangement. You have RGB pads, a classic TR-REC style pattern sequencer, real-time recording with piano-roll editing, and a grid for recording and launching clips. Use any or all, whenever you want.
DREY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEQUENCING
FANTOM is a complete musical composition platform that excels at fast creation and fluid arrangement. You have RGB pads, a classic TR-REC style pattern sequencer, real-time recording with piano-roll editing, and a grid for recording and launching clips. Use any or all, whenever you want.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excusing any free lunches from the plethora of Roland driven video's at the moment... still interesting to here about possible future road maps in this video https://youtu.be/0spqtaHkH5A will be interesting to see how this evolves... (from a personal point of view) this could in time replace my Montage with it's annoying Midi limitations when assigning channels freely in a multi keyboard rig (with out reading the manuals and assuming this can be done like the Integra7)... P.s. it's the weekend I may have a day out tomorrow and check one out...

Last edited by D575 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DREY wrote:
SEQUENCING

So, that's groovy.

So if I compose a symphony, will it contain the whole symphony in one clip? Or will it let me string them together? Does it offer the equivalent of a full linear sequencer?

Because nothing in there suggest anything beyond live-triggered clips.
xp50player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clip limit is 32 bars, so if your symphony is under that, you can consider it a linear seq.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with these two videos.

The first is presented by Roland's Scott Tibbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJmy3aaOBls

The second by renowned session player Ashton Miranda

I think I'm going to have to look at and listen to Roland's new offerings.
Love the instantaneous and integrated architecture, not to mention the quality of sounds. I used to be a dedicated Roland fan until the OASYS and KRONOS came out. BUT, from what I understand, possibly classic Roland synths/instruments may be coming to add to the Fantom much as Korg did with the KRONOS. That would be totally awesome.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc

Last edited by EJ2 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
I'm happy to see Roland coming out with a new workstation, and that the 88 key version has the PHA50 keybed.
The sampler seems to be a basic WAV file trigger, and the sequencer is clip based (something I did not like on my Fantom G) and intended for sketching only. It's a pity Roland did not take the criticism on the Fantom G to heart.

Maybe there is a missinderstanding?
The new sequencer seems to work exactly like the Korg Gadget iOS software and not at all like the oldstyle Cubase/Logic sequencer paradigm the FG used.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the next big question here will be, what can it do that the Kronos can't?
I do admit that I haven't checked out all of the videos on it yet but I'm an old Kronos user. I'm old and my Kronos is a version 1 from 2011. And I love it!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
I'm happy to see Roland coming out with a new workstation, and that the 88 key version has the PHA50 keybed.
The sampler seems to be a basic WAV file trigger, and the sequencer is clip based (something I did not like on my Fantom G) and intended for sketching only. It's a pity Roland did not take the criticism on the Fantom G to heart.

Maybe there is a missinderstanding?
The new sequencer seems to work exactly like the Korg Gadget iOS software and not at all like the oldstyle Cubase/Logic sequencer paradigm the FG used.

The Fantom G forced you to work with phrases (in KORG terminology 'patterns') which easily could turn into a logistical nightmare. These phrases could be assigned to the pads in order to trigger them as clips.
Cubase is different, it allows you to work in a direct linear way, which is my way of working.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
I'm impressed with these two videos.

The first is presented by Roland's Scott Tibbs:

The second by renowned session player Ashton Miranda

Both URLs are the same, maybe the one with Scott Tibbs was this one?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poe1F5RdeNI
Scott is a great musician and listening to the patches he uses in this short tutorial I have to say that the Fantom really sounds excellent and offers a lot in terms of sounddesign.

Only, I cannot understand why they included the SN synth tones from the Integra, but not the modeled acoustic instruments and instead reverted back to what looks like standard PCM samples.
On top of that Roland is not very forthcoming with info about plans for future updates.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/4xK33FmiW24
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can I not find any information about the Sampler, how much RAM does it have, or how much PCM ROM data there is?

How come nobody reviewing the keyboards have asked these questions when they are generally the very first questions people ask?

Regards
Sharp.
xp50player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
So I guess the next big question here will be, what can it do that the Kronos can't?

1. All 16 stereo parts have USB output (3 stereo returns)
2. Stereo multimode analog filter with direct analog output.
3. TR drum machine style programming
4. Piano Roll/Step seq editing
5. Tones bring their own effect into the Scene with no fiddling.
6. High resolution controls(1024 steps), with large value displayed
7. Ladder/Ring LEDs, most controls lit.
8. PCM Sync osc type
9. Better/sexy editing menus, not from an office copier.
10. New custom semi-weighted keybed and top-notch PHA-50
11. JP/MG/P5 additional modeled filter types.
12. More effects. All parts have own MFX, + 2 Scene IFX, AFX(analog filter/drive/amp, Scene Reverb & Chorus, and system multiband compressor.
13. Boot time(!!!!) 40s, not 3min
14. Non-volatile song/pattern storage within the Scene.
15. Mainstage/Logic/Garageband control
16. Drag envelopes on screen.
17. Full screen 4-part vector pad with auto-mode and momentary/latch options.
18. Joystick + wheels.
19. Full polyphony V-Piano AND(!) 256 poly PCM/VA
20. Dual CV/Gate outputs

Last edited by xp50player on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:30 am; edited 16 times in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Why can I not find any information about the Sampler, how much RAM does it have, or how much PCM ROM data there is?

How come nobody reviewing the keyboards have asked these questions when they are generally the very first questions people ask?

Regards
Sharp.

There is 1.7 GB of flash ram..

But the sampler is the same as the fa series..
Just meant for one shots and loops (Deejay style)
You can also slice drum loops.

But so far no indication of being able to use user samples to create your own voices..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: