Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!!! My Pa3x sounding better than new Pa4x. Really???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adminrxb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Help!!! My Pa3x sounding better than new Pa4x. Really??? Reply with quote

Shocked

Hi All,

My 3x is sounding much better than 4x. I am comparing it against a very simple sampled sound with only 1 OSC so there is no factory resource involved here. Sound was imported in Pa4x from Pa3x.

Lucky that I still have my Pa3x. I have compared the parameters between the 2 boards, thinking that some parameters did not get imported correctly but they are identical. I am also using the same speakers and have also matched the MAXX audio settings.

I am unable to figure out why the sound on 3x is more punchy and more clear. 4x is sounding muddy with the same settings. I must be missing something here because 4x is supposed to be the new flagship. OS was upgraded to 3.1 before the sound import from 3x. I am still seeing Preload Buffer @ 300MB after OS upgrade which some other folks have reported as well.

Any suggestions and advise?

[ Roland FA06, Korg PA4x ]
[ Cubase, LIVE ]
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA3x is a great model but comparing sounds is very subjective and personal.
I find my PA4X to be the best sound-wise - even sometimes better than my Kronos.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By definition Pa4X is better sounding not as flagship point of view and nonsense but under technical perspective
since it uses a 24 bit DAC VS 16 bit of Pa3X , only that is the required prove of that.
I have also tested sampler engine behavior with DAC in my Lab , as I always do with a newer arranger before starting
to create new commercial sound resources for it , using model samples of pink & white noise under very accurate
spectrum analyzers I have in my lab and all benchmarks showed excellent response , so your statement is not valid.

There are a lot of causes that an imported sample might do not sounds good , but the first and essential comparison
between 2 arrangers response is by definition in multisamples interface , import MS from Pa3X and listen to both as
multisamples , only there you can claim that might be different and by definition the quality is with Pa4X favor , else
you might face a hardware issue with sound module !

So if multisamples sound very close , as most of average "ears" can hear , then you have to edit SOUND from scratch
mostly to initialize it and then add the required FX / filters etc , since many parameters and values are not the same in
both arrangers.
All above are valid if you're talking for normal samples an not for time sliced drum percussion with inheritance bugs of
older PaSeries like Pa800 that have messed up many Pa4X !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
adminrxb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that you guys (karmathanever & Anthony) reply so that made my day. Thanks a bunch!!!

It makes sense now because MP are pretty close and you are correct that 4x has a better result there. I had to make few adjustment when i transitioned from Pa800 > Pa3x also. Will take me sometime but i am sure it's well worth it. I wanted to make sure that I am not missing something obvious which can always happen on my side Smile No question that these machines are one of a kind.

Really appreciate your feedback.

[ Roland FA06, Korg PA4x ]
[ Cubase, LIVE ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: