Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As long as we’re wishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
... a Sticky post is required .... how to roll back an OS ... there is a lot of confusion and Korg Manuals are not exactly the most user friendly of things to wade through.

What kind of confusion still exists since the detailed postings of your "understanding, backup creates a copy of OS?"

Biggles wrote:
.... My understanding is:- BACKUP does what it says, it creates a copy of the Operating System that can be used to roll back to a prior version if required following an update to said OS or simply to reinstall it .......

Maybe Korg Manuals are not most user friendly, but most important procedures are described. Most of that describtions - like how to backup or to save all musical resources - again in essence, they have been repeated here in recent posts of this thread.

But at least something of your own initiative is expected - so please at least read the concerned postings and manuals of your arrangers. As also mentioned there even more is inside as you think.

At the very least, after that, the repeated question should be avoidable, how to do an OS rollback with a backup file (--> Manual p976-979).
It is ok to expect help asking questions here, but you also have to be prepared to accept this help, otherwise it seems a pity to post here.

Why not further detailed question are asked here if still exists confusion? Maybe you get better answers as ever you will get with webinars!

You seem to have missed the whole point of my previous.

I may not have stated it but I suggested a sticky since the information contained within this thread and especially the posts of Anthony Sharman and yourself are sources of a vast mine of very useful information and that information would be better placed in a sticky post related to backup routines

This “As long as we are wishing” thread is very good but has got off the wishing element into a tech discussion which whilst still excellent the ravages of time will consign said information to the depths of a thread whose title bears little relevance to the backup content
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Backup full resource / Save All Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
.. has got off the wishing element into a tech discussion ...

OP meant an arrangers area of styles and sounds should be left empty - I do not share that opinion. In addition that areas (factory styles / pcgs) can be emptied by users.
OP also meant, if help is needed it should be searched in the manual before - this option I share.

I am not against a sticky, but it should not be complained a lot of confusion before trying to get at least the basic informations from the manual.

In that tech discussion - which has become out of the thread - if you write "Backup routines - look Pa4x v.3.1 manual pages 976 - 979" to a sticky, you will get the same as with manual - who does not try to look for information will not get it.

It is OK to sticky "backup routines" with some additions and explanations, but at least there should be a general willingness to use the manual, because that would make it easier to answer specific questions reliably. A short info ("look into manual" or more friendly "... page nnn") then is not an insult.

PS: With that thread it was you that has got off the wishing element into a tech discussion with your "BACKUP creates a copy of the OS to be used to roll back", although so it is nowhere described in manuals.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be realistic as to the general tech savviness of the average arranger user...

Manuals for products likely to be most used by technophobes should be written for technophobes!

If tech savvy users feel insulted by this, too bad! They will at least be able to understand the instructions, which is more than you can say for many reading the dry manual.

For something as important as backup, with as many possible scenarios as a PA4x offers (backup of altered ROM resources, backup of stock resources, merged backup, OS rollbacks etc.) the bare manual is woefully short and overly technical. Tutorials running the user through some common scenarios should be standard if the process offers as many different possibilities as the convoluted Korg OS does.

Or, as I suggested, redo the OS for the next model so it is all FAR simpler.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree.
- Confirmed technophobe
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
Let's be realistic as to the general tech savviness of the average arranger user...

Manuals for products likely to be most used by technophobes should be written for technophobes!

If tech savvy users feel insulted by this, too bad! They will at least be able to understand the instructions, which is more than you can say for many reading the dry manual.

For something as important as backup, with as many possible scenarios as a PA4x offers (backup of altered ROM resources, backup of stock resources, merged backup, OS rollbacks etc.) the bare manual is woefully short and overly technical. Tutorials running the user through some common scenarios should be standard if the process offers as many different possibilities as the convoluted Korg OS does.

Or, as I suggested, redo the OS for the next model so it is all FAR simpler.

Very well said.

KISS should be the way the manuals are written.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: