Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Sliced Ethnic Percussion Samples Method in 2020

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Time Sliced Ethnic Percussion Samples Method in 2020 Reply with quote

Time slice method is an outdated method of up to 2005 , especially for ethnic users that they own the leadership of this amateur method
that was used for reproducing mostly real playing of darbukas , duholas , tablas and other percussion that Romplers didn't contained or
didn't had the available memory to load real samples of above percussion at that age , and all of you that own such resources , bear in mind
that all of them were made mostly before over 10 years with Pa800 , those resources are incompatible with Pa4X and similar models for reasons
I have explained many times in this section and mess up your new age arrangers !

After Pa3X age , serious sound developers of this genre , should had created physical samples of percussion with velocity layers and round-robin
that would had used just a few Mb of Ram for samples and activating them via midi events in Styles without wasting preloading samples memory
& samples positions.
Self called sound developers or style creators that belong to ignorance sphere without even the elementary instruments knowledge , are unable to
recreate a playing group of percussion or even a real playing drum kit / guitar so the easy solution was always to copy real audio loops of them
and create time sliced tracks in styles even nowadays ...

I can understand the low cost criteria or free net garbage resources loading and consequences are for sure expected , but people that are buying
expensive resources , please be demanding and avoid paying for SETs with junk time sliced real playing percussion & drums , while real percussion
samples will sound much much clear & punchy and you will justify your 4K $ investment's great features that you don't use at all with outdated
resources & bad sound development ...
Time sliced samples and audio files were never used in Pro Music & Studios Production ...

I felt that this reference was needed !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to pick a fight, but the entire Drum&Bass genre (DnB) wouldn't exist without timesliced audio loops and ReCycle.

Not to mention, even if you have samples with plenty of velocity layers and round robins, there is still the question of the performance. Having great tabla samples doesn't make you a great tabla player... There are subtleties of playing technique that no amount of sampling will replicate. And loops may contain multiple players and instruments on one track. Best of luck making a style that accurately replicates that!

Rather than ditch the entire concept, wouldn't it be better for Korg to figure out how to keep track of enough samples so this technique could be done as easily in an arranger as it was over 25 years ago with ReCycle? Sadly, it appears as if the horsepower for decent timestretching is beyond Korg's ability at the moment. So this is basically what's left. All we need is the ability to track a LOT more samples...

Professionals have used time-sliced audio loops since ReCycle was invented. But like any audio tool it can be used to good effect or bad. There may be indeed a bunch of bad loop resources floating around. But please don't conflate those with the entire technique, which has been used to great effect in much popular music, and until hardware keyboards are up to the task of high quality time and pitch manipulation, it's still basically the only option when sample sets and MIDI styles don't offer the exact beat you are looking for (or are too expensive).

Chopping a loop is still the easiest way to use the huge library of existing well recorded drum and percussion loops, whether for ethnic or Western breakbeat based musics. It's a shame Korg don't incorporate a simple REX file player into an arranger. The possibilities would be incredible.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No intention to fight either that's my opinion and my applied experience in Music production as a producer and conductor in studios and discography.
If I like a specific percussionist or drummer I will hire him to play in my arrangement , else I will play his exact set I like from my VST library or midi
events played by professionals if I was not able to play drums and the whole section that I've scored in a ready composition I have made.
In studio arrangements with super computers we don't have the limitation of a hardware workstation and we can use anything we like including
Rex files but I specified that I'm talking about Pro arrangements and not DJs loops play land.
Skilled technicians & Physicians that are in charge of sound modeling projects are very aware that there is no decent time stretching of a natural
acoustic instrument , all that claim the opposite are just wikipedia readers , Rex files can serve some Pro purposes only at their sampled pitch & speed.
I also use PropellerHead Recycle since it was released but for specific applications , or electronic loops of Stylus but not for producing real Music
with acoustic instruments , just different perception.
Also I ensure you that you can replicate every single percussion perfectly if you have the required samples of all played techniques like side hits ,
but this requires knowledge of main sound creators, percussion emulation is the easiest part in sampling emulation so please let me know better
as for years Industrial VST developer.

Concerning hardware sampler/arranger as Pa4X , a Rex player that would read only markers in a single saved sample would be welcomed , but If
I was Korg I would rather release many other really useful engines that are missing in next Pa5X like analog engine , arpeggiators , Karma etc.
Skilled sound developers can create very balanced Rex files outside PaSeries with Recycle or DAW if needed though.
My post has a specific target that users of this genre are aware and not DnB/DJs @@@ , if users want the amateur IMO solution there is enough
space to create some time sliced samples from real played percussion that they're unable to replicate , but it's insane to use above Pa auxiliary
function for every single Style track and consume useful Ram space needed for lead acoustic instruments that factory library is lacking and most
important not to pay for Pa800 age badly made time sliced loops that will cause issues in new arrangers until newer OS will exclude them permanently !

I'm done with this , from my part all required info have been already published ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With enough layers and an LFO or 2 you can recreate the subtle Round robin attack and pitch variances of basically every instrument but you would have to use every page of sound mode to really have 1000s of microchanges. I find that adding a room layer to percussion and drums as part of the sample goes a long way. Im with you 100% on getting rid of using loops entirely because any qualified programmer and sampler does not need it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: