Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pitch bend diagnostics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Pitch bend diagnostics Reply with quote

My user's PA4x's pitch bend has stopped working (but still does modulation).

I know it's probably time to replace the joystick, but is there a quick diagnosis test I can do to see if it is still working but something in the Globals or elsewhere has defeated the function?

Thanks...

Secondly, is there a quick Global I can enable so the small pitch strip does the same function (whole tone up and down of center with a flyback to zero when released) while he is waiting for the replacement joystick to arrive? He's not going to be able to reprogram hundreds of Songbook entries, it's going to have to be a Global function, I think...

Thanks again!
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump....

Any diagnostic routines? Any way to set pitch strip as global bend?
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Korghelper, I’m not sure about any global settings for the ribbon (as I can’t see anything to change in the global menu). As a way to test pitch-bend functionality and/or as a temporary/permanent alternative controller though, you can simply connect a pedal to the assignable pedal input.

I have personally always used a Yamaha Fc7 pedal for all of my pitch bends, as it keeps my left hand free for regular chord changes etc.
Using the pedal is, of course, a way to control pitch-bend globally. There is a ‘glide’ option as a choice but I, personally, found that the Joystick x- works best for me. You can also choose from various curves and also use the pedal calibration feature to have the pitch bend starting at any place you want on the pedal (which is handy, as you don’t always need pitch-bend control over the full range of the pedal.
I know this doesn’t answer your global ribbon controller question but hope it gives you an alternative approach until his joystick is fixed.
Best,
Jon
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It is a shame you can’t assign pitch bend globally to the strip. There are a lot of old micro Moog players that’s still prefer this method of pitch bending..

It is still the only good way to get trils and hammer ons and hammer offs, or any other type of performance that involves a jump in pitch rather than a smooth slide there.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard to replace the PB. If I can do it anybody can!
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don. Problem solved. He disassembled it, found a loose wire and all is again well. Hopefully, he'll order a spare joystick so that he's got something ready to go if it happens again and it's not just a loose wire!

I am a bit disappointed no-one's been able to suggest a way to force the small ribbon into pitch bend mode globally though. Seems to me a bit of a shame to have one, but then have to jump through hoops to assign it to pitch (probably the most useful and common use for it) on a per program basis rather than just enable it globally with one command.

There's SO much more you can do with a ribbon than with a joystick/lever/wheel...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: