Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos lowest score - blind piano test
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kaneda,

Your probably right there. As they say 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

That aside, I certainly would not fault the sound and features on the Kawai MP11SE. At one time I was very interested in the Kawai VPC1 but I think it would have been too much for my limited abilities.

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/rd-2000/

I have the RD2000 and the matching stand as seen in section 4. Pig-ugly I know !! Very Happy

Chris
Kaneda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi,
It's such an ugly piano it wouldn't get past my front door (at any price).

Chris

Ugly ? Think you just described your RD2000...
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - I really do not care about what reviewers think of an instrument. If they review it, by listing the features and playing it a lot, I can hear the instrument through a good pair of studio monitors or studio headphones. I do not need all the narrative from a reviewer about how much THEY like it.

To somewhat contradict my last paragraph, I happen to really like Kawai pianos. I know that they are an acquired taste for some, but they are really woody sounding and I love their action. Some previous reviews of Kawai state that they have great sounds and action because they seem to try harder...I agree with that sentiment, especially after owning and playing Kawai instruments.

Since each of us has different requirements for our piano sounds, each one is unique and subjective.

My main piano sound, at least live, is a Yamaha C5 that Reuben has made available in our forums. I use it on my Korg PA700.

My main piano sound, in my studio and on my albums for solo piano music, is my Lowrey EZP3 (which is basically a Kawai, since Kawai owns Lowrey).

Would I get the MP11SE? IN A HEARTBEAT! I love the action, and the sound. Again, I like that they seem to try a bit harder because they are not in the top 3 or 4 of keyboard companies.

I have tried Nord, and do not understand the hype that so many people bring up about them. Nord does not trip me like the Kawai or Korg does. Yamaha still has one of the best piano sounds out there. They should, as they've been making acoustic pianos for over 125 years...

I am intrigued by the Roland V-Piano as well, if only for making different kinds of pianos because of the modeling engine. I still have the VG-8 guitar modeler from them, and I am still astounded at the guitar sounds I can get out of it, even after all of these years...

I know that in areas where a music store cannot stock every model available for potential buyers, listening/reading reviews will help one make a choice for an instrument. I happen to live in one of those areas. In order to try something that is not in stock, I have to buy it and then return it if I do not like it. That is counter-productive and is a bad business model. This is why I rely on reviews (playing reviews, instead of the talking and hyping of one model or another). I need to make a choice that fits ME, not what a reviewer's position is on a particular instrument.

To say an instrument is 'ugly' and base your decision to purchase it on that, is uninformed and superficial, at best. I have had some fairly ugly keyboards that were MONSTERS in the studio and on stage.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... I'm intrigued...
UGLY >> "Unpleasant or repulsive"

What actually makes a keyboard ugly?

I must admit my Kronos is a bit overweight probably due to a samples addiction - but what would make it "ugly" ????

Laughing
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hmmmmm... I'm intrigued...
UGLY >> "Unpleasant or repulsive"

What actually makes a keyboard ugly?

I must admit my Kronos is a bit overweight probably due to a samples addiction - but what would make it "ugly" ????

Laughing

that's what called ' subjective ' Wink

circles back to this topic. Subjective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: