Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Long Term Kronos owner/musician
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I don't know about sampling particular sounds/instruments, 16 vs 24, in terms of fidelity

I have recorded a few multi track originals in 24 bit and 16, and I cannot hear a diff

I asked a few of my Kronos listeners if they can hear a diff in fidelity and they could not.

I know there are folks that say 24 bit is a difference maker, but I haven't found it

If I do recording on Kronos I would stick to 16-bit, because the dynamic range of source ( patches ) is mostly far less than capability of a 16-bit recording. That’s why you and your listeners cannot hear the difference.

When comes to 24-bit vs 16-bit in different scenarios, I can assure you that with right equipment and some sources it does make audible difference.
The other day I was recording vocals in Logic Pro ( with Aston Stealth mic/ ART Pro MPA II preamp), and the difference was there in front of you.
The true is that 24-bit gives greater headroom margins without noise penalties, and it makes mixing much easier !

An article by Tweak -> https://www.tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm
SKung

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These "16 vs 24 vs 32 bit" articles assume that you just playback recorded audio.

For example, you record a snare drum and play it back just how you recorded it. Maybe you do some effects, like eq and compression.

But for a instrument you may change the pitch of the sample, and that's a whole different world.

Due to the fixed sample rate you begin to lose data the more you change the sample's pitch (aliasing).

So when you begin to edit the sample you lose data. The lower bitrate and sample rate are, the more you lose and the audio quality gets decreased.

The question is when you become to hear the difference?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
GregC wrote:
I don't know about sampling particular sounds/instruments, 16 vs 24, in terms of fidelity

I have recorded a few multi track originals in 24 bit and 16, and I cannot hear a diff

I asked a few of my Kronos listeners if they can hear a diff in fidelity and they could not.

I know there are folks that say 24 bit is a difference maker, but I haven't found it

If I do recording on Kronos I would stick to 16-bit, because the dynamic range of source ( patches ) is mostly far less than capability of a 16-bit recording. That’s why you and your listeners cannot hear the difference.

tm

Excellent clarification, thanks !

Yes, I am recording up to 16 midi tracks on Kronos for a song, then going to audio sampling for my final step, a WAV file. when sampling the entire song, I have the choice of 16 or 24 bit. I will stay with 16, which is a smaller file size, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: