Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poly D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Poly D Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lx-9mLB1V0
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice one, also incl. the FX and sequencer.
I haven't heard anything about the price yet.

Mind you, the 4-voice polyphony means you only get one osc per voice.
If it allows for polychaining it would be nice to see Behringer release a module version of the Poly D.
Or maybe they have an 8-voice version planned for the future?
And although it may be ambiguous, I would welcome patch memory.
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: More Poly D Reply with quote

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/11/25/sonic-lab-behringer-poly-d-4-voice-analog-/
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ask.audio/articles/watch-behringer-poly-d-synth-review-by-loopop
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ask.audio/articles/watch-behringer-poly-d-synth-review-by-loopop
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
That's a really nice one, also incl. the FX and sequencer.
I haven't heard anything about the price yet.

I like the "Mini Voyager" look of it - €/£699 as far as I can tell
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upside: haptic/size, keyboard, 4th Osc, sequencer, chorus

Downside:
- paraphonic isn't really polyphonic, in a way being useful for everyday use. Besides only being 1 Osc per voice and sharing one filter for all voices, what's mainly unnerving, is having to fine tune all 4 OScs for each patch, each time, manually not to sound dreadful (and then probably readjust during play on top).
- sound compromise: to adopt to the new mode, they seem to have put in headroom or whaever, preventing real Model D punch/overdrive behavior. To my ears the basic sound is nice, but not as in the face as normal Model Ds when set up properly and pushed a little harder. It's still a moog sound, but my Behringer model D sounds more like the real deal in my ears. I hope to be corrected by further testing.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems more like their take on the Matriarch sans semimodular elements. The name Poly D is misleading, Para D being what it actually is. Perhaps it should have been called the Sargent Major, or maybe the Field Marshall? Or maybe even the Boogy Man? I like the the idea of the (Star Trek) Borg manifesto and take it on in my own musical ideology (grab stuff for one element that it has which is not in my arsenal yet), but Behringer have fallen down along the line in their attempts at it. They managed to accumulate a great team but then put them to work making contrived synths. I can only imagine what the staff must be feeling in terms of creative expression within their job. As much as it is nice to be getting all these physical versions of what's been released as software emulations for the last 20yrs, I have to say (it again and again), where are the instruments of tomorrow that the synths being cloned were when they were first released?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound odd, but I expected the price to be lower than 700 Euros considering what is out there in terms of true polyphonic synths, even the ones from Behringer.
Maybe Behringer wants to avoid a situation where buyers have to wait several months due to production unable to keep up with demand? If so, the price will probably come down after some time.

Having watched the SonicState video I don't agree with Nick that a reverb instead of the chorus would have been preferable, I think the chorus sounds excellent and adds a lot, especially when there's one osc p/voice.
But I would have liked to see a reverb in addition to the chorus and distortion.
The sound is marvelous.

And as far as boredom among Behringer employees is concerned because they have to build synths based on old designs, I see a team comes across to me as a dynamic exuberant lot enjoying their work.
And what better way for Behringer to build a team of experienced engineers than letting them work on old designs and bring them forward into the 21st century?
The hands-on experience thus acquired is not to be underestimated, and this will certainly translate into interesting designs for Behringer originals.
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:

And as far as boredom among Behringer employees is concerned because they have to build synths based on old designs, I see a team comes across to me as a dynamic exuberant lot enjoying their work.
And what better way for Behringer to build a team of experienced engineers than letting them work on old designs and bring them forward into the 21st century?
The hands-on experience thus acquired is not to be underestimated, and this will certainly translate into interesting designs for Behringer originals.

+1

Nothing but impressed what they did so far - they really love what they do. It's like they absorbed everything done so far - and did it better in many ways.

I have yet to see a Roland synth that has preview before overwriting presets/programs.
- DeepMind allow that
- Nordleads allow that
- Prophet Rev2 allow that
- Kyra has at least view of name you overwrite
- Argon8, yet to see manual come out
- Prologue work fine too with nice sorting options and librarian to dump things you can overwrite last.

And Prologue has preview of subtimbres you are about to combine with current main - really good.

Korg CX-3 v2 had preview - not sure why not every Korg synth has it.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:

Fair call. In my own experiences of being trained in creative design skills, I've been set tasks of reworking existing works, so really I should know better. But I still can't help but want more from their machine. The Neutron is a nice example of what they can achieve I guess.

Narioso wrote:
I have yet to see a Roland synth that has preview before overwriting presets/programs.
- Kyra has at least view of name you overwrite

Interesting that, as every Waldorf machine I own bar the Streichfett and 4-Pole have a compare function. Wonder why they dropped it for the Kyra?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: