Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What i expect from the next Korg Workstation.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: What i expect from the next Korg Workstation. Reply with quote

I've owned two Kronos. The 73 and 61.
Previously I owned the Trinity and Triton.

So why am I now without a Korg Workstation and enjoying Moogs, Rolands and Modal mini synths?

The next Korg Workstation needs to keep the sequencer model, the quality combination programs and the overall quality that Korg demonstrates again and again but ......................

Korg, please add an analogue engine with a knobby interface. Although the touch screen is wonderful, you will need to add real time knobs and knobs and more knobs. The Prologue, Monologue XD engine and the Korg Workstation ethic.

Call it the Kronologue and I will be one happy camper.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be wishful thinking, but I sense a return to the hardware SEQ approach.

Sure , Korg " should ' advance the SEQ and add knobby analog.

Anyway,I am doubtful that Korg will develop to my spec.

They could develop to 75% to what I require. From there its add a 2nd board, to Kronos 3 or Kronologue etc etc.

A 2 board rig [ home studio] and augment any instrument weakness with VST's.

Thats my plan/expectation. Pending anything great from Jan NAMM
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

They could develop to 75% to what I require. From there its add a 2nd board, to Kronos 3 or Kronologue etc etc.

That's the way to go, as it would be most rare to find a single board that did everything you want.

My approach has been to go for the best that is out there from Korg and Yamaha, and I have just also brought that "knobby analog" synth. I've been planning on one for a whole as a bit of a one off indulgence. I did not end up with the one I was planning on, a Novation Summit as stock is so limited, but whilst I was looking I found a new Prophet X at over a 1/3 off. With that discount it was a no brainer!

And then I have the means to play any VSTi I have live.

I don't think any new single workstation from any manufacturer would compete with that, and I can mix and match as I need.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

That's the way to go, as it would be most rare to find a single board that did everything you want.

My approach has been to go for the best that is out there from Korg and Yamaha, and I have just also brought that "knobby analog" synth. I've been planning on one for a whole as a bit of a one off indulgence. I did not end up with the one I was planning on, a Novation Summit as stock is so limited, but whilst I was looking I found a new Prophet X at over a 1/3 off. With that discount it was a no brainer!

And then I have the means to play any VSTi I have live.

I don't think any new single workstation from any manufacturer would compete with that, and I can mix and match as I need.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Prophet X, such nice texture, very good choice.

I like to have a fairly wide palette to work with. But with that, I will pay
for quality.

MODX 8 is still #1 on my purchase list. Selling my FA to make room and fund the next purchase. Doing the NAMM waiting game, just to be sure.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What i expect from the next Korg Workstation. Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
I've owned two Kronos. The 73 and 61.
Previously I owned the Trinity and Triton.

So why am I now without a Korg Workstation and enjoying Moogs, Rolands and Modal mini synths?

The next Korg Workstation needs to keep the sequencer model, the quality combination programs and the overall quality that Korg demonstrates again and again but ......................

Korg, please add an analogue engine with a knobby interface. Although the touch screen is wonderful, you will need to add real time knobs and knobs and more knobs. The Prologue, Monologue XD engine and the Korg Workstation ethic.

Call it the Kronologue and I will be one happy camper.

I just don't see any reason for Korg to add an analog engine. It would make it unnecessarily more expensive, when the VA engines work just fine. Now adding the digital multi engine from the Minilogue XD makes more sense. Third party offerings have made that very interesting.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg would probably avoid much more hardware on the control surface, and just include more function assignments to the already existing knobs.
Function assignments that can include analog filter controls.
Even if Korg adds a few more knobs, those will also multitask via function assignability.

I hope Korg’s delay with a new generation beast, is at least about finding a way to make a more reliable rig.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Korg would probably avoid much more hardware on the control surface, and just include more function assignments to the already existing knobs.
Function assignments that can include analog filter controls.
Even if Korg adds a few more knobs, those will also multitask via function assignability.

I hope Korg’s delay with a new generation beast, is at least about finding a way to make a more reliable rig.

Yes, it's possible. The only limitation to what you say is the fact that controling an analog parameter (wich is fully linear) with a digital encoder (128 values only) is a real limitation. In one Prophet (I don't remember which one) for example, the cutoff digital scale is audible. (it's better on DSI OB6 : 165 steps for the Cutoff, 256 steps for the resonance).
That means that Korg would have to change its encoders in order to get good analog controls.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would get rid of the GM banks to free up some extra space for user programs. Apart from that, maybe an increase from 16 to 24 seq tracks and a general updating of the effects would do for me. To be honest, I couldn't ask for too much more from a new Kronos - any limitations are really all mine, not Korg's.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Personally, I would get rid of the GM banks to free up some extra space for user programs. Apart from that, maybe an increase from 16 to 24 seq tracks and a general updating of the effects would do for me. To be honest, I couldn't ask for too much more from a new Kronos - any limitations are really all mine, not Korg's.

Removing the General MIDI banks would break compatibility with MIDI files and other MIDI related calls to them banks..

SO that's not a good one unless you want to break decades of peoples work.

You have the options to delete any banks on the kronos anyways, so why remove a feature when you can do it yourself if you have no need for it.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Losing the GM banks wouldn't affect me in that way, and I hadn't considered that side of it - I'm used to so many other synths not bothering with GM banks at all.

I don't use those sounds because they're so bland, and I would at least like the option to be able to overwrite them. They're probably more suited to home keyboard users than to the majority of Kronos users.
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want is the increased specs from using a modern processor, a better screen, and for Korg to take advantage of fanless cooling, and shorter boot time. And an interface change to the SEQ so it is actually useable and editable from a connected pc.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:
All I want is the increased specs from using a modern processor, a better screen, and for Korg to take advantage of fanless cooling, and shorter boot time. And an interface change to the SEQ so it is actually useable and editable from a connected pc.

a solid list. DAW integration is a must.

depending how far Korg 'might proceed', with component strength and sound programming[ which is the main point for me], a fair price is a must.

For example, a new chassis, with a few tweaks, and a $4000 price would be an over reach.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible alternative would be to split the Kronos into two.

The first part, a monumentally powerful synth. No sequencer, just lots of digital engines, wonderful audio capabilities, and tight MIDI and/or OSC signal chains. Call it Radias++ or something.

The second part is a studio master with linear sequencing, pattern sequencing, arpeggiation, control options galore and half a dozen MIDI and USB (master and slave) connections so that you can dominate a studio with it.

Price each at $2K, and people will snap them up.
Purusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really need a machine with in-built sequencer, but in many cases, that seems to be be the basis for most of the good multi-timbral, polyphonic synths.

Knronos is great (although would be better with e proper Mac/PC editor), but I'd swap for a machine with all the synth engines and no sequencer.

My only real complaint with Kronos, is that the touch-screen is too fiddly and not multi-touch (as with capacitive screens). Better DAW integration would also be good, but to do that properly I'd be happier with a Kronos plug-in. Having hardware and plug-in versions of my Line6 Helix, is a huge help. Record clean and dial-in the effects. Then move the same effects configuration to Helix for stage-work. Imagine being able to do that with a Kronos-style machine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: