Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many CPU´s have Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we need another hero who continues the work of this 'kronos hacker'.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKung wrote:
Then we need another hero who continues the work of this 'kronos hacker'.

Yes, there are some economics at force here.

It appears the ' upgrade cost' exercise is ramping higher.

it takes talent/skill to develop/program software. Software development , typically is the highest cost component in a complex/specialized device.

I worked for a software co that was in the software development side for embedded and specialized devices.

Last I knew, Talented software developers are sought after by large and small co's in the massive tech sector.
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true, maybe some kind of open source project with volunteers could do that job.
Start could be an image file from a Kronos harddrive, the sources available from Korg and the stuff from (Software Piracy Do Not Click).

Maybe we could find some guys who will be willing to help.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just a little higher :
A cloud new Korg workstation continuously updated, with from us, a subscription not too expensive' No more ending with hardware fails

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an awful lot about the Kronos that is right. And even when it isn’t it has the power and flexibility to deliver a solution.

To me the real issues are
1. Limited polyphony. If you layer just a stripped down SGX2 piano with a simple string patch and play piano properly with two hands and sustain pedal you very quickly run out of notes. Even if you turn off the sympathetic resonance and thin down the HD1 strings you still hit that not stealing algorithm too easily. Instruments like the Roland RD2000, Fantom and Kurzweil Forte all do much better in this respect.

2. The user controls and touch screen interface design are dated and pretty cumbersome. Really the control layout needs to change to be more like a Nord Stage, so the typical filter and envelope controls are actually grouped etc. Having led indicators is now the norm not the Oasis extreme. Resistive touch screens are really history. Capacitive touch screen are much more accurate and responsive and have been the norm pretty much everywhere else since before 2011.

3. User program and combi space. The Kronos has clearly out grown its user space for programs. It’s current bank system is simply not fit for purpose.

4. The Kronos midi implementation is a real mess. Without proper access to all the midi controller code ranges for all the Kronos panel and pedal controls even at global level they’ve miss a massive need. And to limit combi timbres to having to share global controller setup is really not fit for purpose. The pedal controller kludge is a perfect example of this poor design. The Roland’s Fantom or RD2000 or Kurzweil Forte's are way way more flexible.

So really I don’t care if it’s 32bit or 64bit. But I do care about how much processing power is available to play all the notes you expect from a modern top level workstation. And I do think the CX3 desperately needs a redesign to match what Nord can do. The SGX2 needs per note editing to match the competition and to really be considered world class. The HD1 need to be upgraded to match the anti aliasing performance of the Nord Stage 3 or even the Kronos AL1!

Plenty to do here for Korg. And some brilliant opportunities. Because they’re starting from a great place - everything (and there’s load) that’s great about the current Kronos.!!

Last edited by Hector Space on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats fair and accurate, and we can easily add more to that list. And I am not being tweaky.

And, hind sight makes us smart Very Happy
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector Space wrote:
So really I don’t care if it’s 32bit or 64bit. But I do care about how much processing power is available to play all the notes you expect from a modern top level workstation. And I do think the CX3 desperately needs a redesign to match what Nord can do. The SGX2 needs per note editing to match the competition and to really be considered world class. The HD1 need to be upgraded to match the anti aliasing performance of the Nord Stage 3 or even the Kronos AL1!

Plenty to do here for Korg. And some brilliant opportunities. Because they’re starting from a great place - everything (and there’s load) that’s great about the current Kronos.!!

Well the problem is that the old 32bit code is limited to a 3gb adresss space. Wether its 32 or 64bit don't give more processing power, but implies how large memory you can adress at once, wich is also one of the main issues. You could have much larger sample pool if the system could support just 16gb of ram. Together with disk streaming it would mean most people wouldn't have to think about unloading the stock preloads to be able to load large sample libraries. Even it doesn't seem that the typical 2gb library only uses about 300mb sample ram, you just need about 5 or 6 such libraries before you hit the max sample ram with a full 3(4gb) Kronos.

The thing is, it takes very little work for a computer programmer to put in the 64bit tag when you compile the code. Of cause its not exactly that easy. but you get the picture. A redesign of how how they manage program and combi system doesn't sound that difficult to me either, and its not that Krog doesn't have well qualified technicians and programmers. Just what they get out a mildly put "shitty" atom processor compared to 2019 standards is to me impressive. Also have to remember the Kronos is based on tech developed in the 90's for the Oasys when the best processor they could put in it was a Pentium Pro and some Motorola 56000's. But its also pretty out of my league to estimate what it would cost them to put a redesigned system together with a modern processor and a rewritten system software, plus just some of all the suggestions we can come up with for upgrades to the current Kronos state. And wether we like it or not, the world has changed, and honestly I think the Kronos will die at some point since its up against a world of VST's and Protools plugins wich has become defacto standard, so Korg will have to move to those platforms. Developing further on their own proprietary software synths in the Kronos is most likely just not feasable. I think they are just keeping it alive with a polish and a paint jobe every 2'nd year and the ocasional new SGX piano sound untill the sales dwindle too much.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than that, I really can't seem to get the hype about the Fantom. Its an overpriced Roland Piano with some software synth engines that does .. well about the same as a gazillion of other Software Synths does. It isn't innovation to create big moving Synth pads and synth lead sounds. You don't even have to pay for that anymore. There are loads of free or very cheap software synths that does that. it doesn't have to be Omnisphere or Keyscapeto be able to create some interesting synth and keyboard sounds. But that is propably also why the "Workstation" class keyboards have such downsize with most brands. You can get a lot for free or very cheap these days, so only musicians that is willing to pay premium price for Premium boards is professional session and gigging musicians and the big studios and professional music producers and arrangers already use Computer and software based libraries in a whole other league that you will ever find in a "hard/software" board like the Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jan, I like your above posts.

I think your analysis is perfect- it focuses on what Korg is up against.

BTW, when Kronos came out +8 years, hundreds of posters said ;
" No way. I have all my VST's and my $300 Controller."

Absolutely, software is outstanding and the way to go for many.

I have been thinking Kronos is near EOL [ end of life]
Somehow, it keeps rolling along. If Kronos was not valuable, this
forum would be a ghost town.

And its really about music production. A person can write excellent songs
on Kronos. Or perform excellent covers.

thats why many buy a Kronos.

anyway, possibly, given your analysis, we might never see a Kronos type keyboard again. Business stuff.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Kronos is still an amazing machine, even we all can agree it could use some upgrades here an there. Its not the easiest machine to master either, if you want to get all down into all its 9 engines, karma etc. I doubt many uses just half of all its capable of. I know I myself baught it with the meaning, hey I know Korg systems. I have owned both the M and T-series, and worked a bit on 01/w and the Triton i think .. was the first keyboard ever with a touch display,
how hard can it be ??... riiight .. but I soon found out it was alot more complicated than just fiddling with the 2 osc. and EG's and LFO of the M/T series and adding a couple effects.. just the insert, master and total effects gave me a small headache to begin with to figure out, and just the HD-1 engine has quite more settings than the older boards. i have enough to play with for the next 5 years at least no matter if its near EOL or not, and besides I like to work at the keyboard instead of the PC, but a mirror output of the display to an external monitor would be nice .. hint hint Korg ... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: