Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I "decoct" WAV file back into its root Sequenc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocFingers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Can I "decoct" WAV file back into its root Sequenc Reply with quote

I created a WAV file that was inadvertently cut off at the very end of the song.

I cannot find the Sequence it was based upon anywhere in any Directory.

Is there a way to "decoct" the WAV file back into the original Sequence so that I can add back the very end of the song (instead of re-recording the entirety of what was a difficult Sequence)?
Any other ideas or solutions?

Please help if you can, and please use language that a digital moron (me) can understand.

THANK YOU !!!
Rolling Eyes

"An Analog Mind Trapped in a Digital Universe"
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. WAV files contain music data only. The MIDI sequence data used to generate the wav audio is not stored alongside.

There are ways to convert audio files, such as wav, mp3, ogg, to MIDI data, but that would only be useful as a starting point, and would probably work best for audio that came from a single instrument.

One such site, which asks the user to drag and drop their audio file into an area on the web interface is:

https://www.ofoct.com/audio-converter/convert-wav-or-mp3-ogg-aac-wma-to-midi.html

Do not be surprised if the end result is disappointing.

Another option is Audacity, which is free software that has a MIDI export option in the File menu.

Here is an excerpt from the techwalla website:
"According to the Audacity Wiki, converting more than a single melodic line from MP3 to MIDI is a challenging problem that, at time of publication, is being researched. If this is the case with a specific MP3 file that you open in Audacity, the software will detect that the conversion isn't possible. In this case, Export MIDI will not be available on the File menu and the MIDI format will be hidden in the Export Audio dialog."

DocFingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip: Thank you so much for taking the time to help and for the link.

In order to tack a new ending on to the existing wav file (where the ending was inadvertently truncated), I'm wondering if I can record the wav file as a stereo audio track while at the same time overlaying an Oasys piano track at the end (???)
Could I do that, and if so, how?

Could I then add a vocal to the entire resulting "mix" ???

Gratitude
Doc

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to do this in Sequence mode, by inserting the wav file into one of the Audio tracks (note: the wav file needs to be present on the Oasys' internal hard drive to be able to do this). The Oasys Operation Guide details the process on page 108. The wave file needs to be 48kHz monaural. If your wave file is stereo, then you will need to first extract the left and right tracks as separate files, and then inserting left and right audio into two separate audio tracks in the Sequencer. The Oasys piano should be on one of the MIDI tracks.

A vocal can also be added to another audio track. Audio recording source selection is covered on page 97 of the Op Guide. Effects can be added to the audio.

DocFingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip: So once again, TY!
I ran to my Oasys to try this solution, but alas, my touchscreen has frozen and become totally uncooperative. This happened twice before and cleared up on its own within a few weeks both times.
A mysterious glitch and quite disappointing.
I will try the method you suggested and will refer to the pages you provided (thank you again for your extra effort—- it is much appreciated)
As soon as my O has finished its hiccup and allows me to use its touchscreen again, I will let you know if this method worked out.
Gratitude 🙏
Doc

DocFingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip: So once again, TY!
I ran to my Oasys to try this solution, but alas, my touchscreen has frozen and become totally uncooperative. This happened twice before and cleared up on its own within a few weeks both times.
A mysterious glitch and quite disappointing.
I will try the method you suggested and will refer to the pages you provided (thank you again for your extra effort—- it is much appreciated)
As soon as my O has finished its hiccup and allows me to use its touchscreen again, I will let you know if this method worked out.
Gratitude 🙏
Doc

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way might be to copy the wav file song to a recording device of some sort, and then add the piano, and create a wav file of the result. The exact method will depend on the recording device workflow. It could be a dedicated hardware recorder, or a software-based one.

Sorry to hear about the Oasys screen. It might be a connector that's gone bad, and might need reseating. That keyboard probably needs some TLC. It's no spring chicken!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: