Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA700 or PA1000 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: PA700 or PA1000 ? Reply with quote

I just sold my old PA-50 and like to buy either the PA700 or PA1000.
Does the PA1000 have features that make it worth spending and extra 700$? I budget for the PA-1000, just want to make sure my money is worth. I have tried both models at local GC and the PA1000 does look better but sounds the same as the PA700 (within my short test time).

Are features below exist on both models:
1) saving custom rythm to internal memory and USB thumb drive
2) load rythm directly from USB thumb drive (without having to copy to internal memory)
3) playing MIDI OR MP3 song while playing a backing rythm,
4) create rythm from MIDI song
5) create intro from MIDI song
These are the key features I want to have in my next arranger. (TYROS do not have 3,4 and 5 above)
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The features you list are common to both.

The 1000 has better speakers and amp, more Styles, more Sounds, a better keybed with aftertouch, considerably more memory and a few other features including a tilt-able screen.

Is the 1000 worth buying, that is subjective and all I can say is for me no, I would bypass it and buy a 4X but the 4x is Monopoly money in certain locations including the US.
ime95mos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same dilemma. I think I've watched every youtube video there is by now. How much better is the keybed in the PA1000? is it more towards pianoplayers or? The thing I certainly don't need is the mixing feature with two players. More styles and sounds is something that easily can be fixed.

Waiting for a good deal any day now on either the PA700 or the PA1000(this has to be really good).
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have only watched Youtube reviews can I suggest you watch the official Korg Video Manual tutorials on each of the Pa’s.

This is the first of the series for the 700, there is also a series for the 1000.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y93U9xG85ao
ime95mos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! Really good videos!

Biggles wrote:
If you have only watched Youtube reviews can I suggest you watch the official Korg Video Manual tutorials on each of the Pa’s.

This is the first of the series for the 700, there is also a series for the 1000.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y93U9xG85ao
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I also had the Pa50 10 plus years ago, really enjoyed it!

Here are some comparisons I made in another thread. I have the Pa1000:
Upgrades from Pa700 to Pa1000:

- aftertouch
This is well implemented. Overall, the action feels good, a bit on the light side for my tastes. BIG complaint, it's considerably harder to play towards the rear of the keys, this sometimes throws off my playing, with some people its not such a bother

- more than twice the memory for user samples
So the 1000 has around 600MB, the 700 has around 256MBs. There's a double advantage with the 1000 in this regard being that there's a second, large piano on the 1000, which I believe is around 1GB in size, so not as big a need to add new samples to get a decent piano. Some 700 owners are using a piano that Reuben has made available for free that sounds better than the stock one, and that eats up most of the available memory on the 700.

- top panel volume and fx control for voice/guitar (also controls line in volume)
For me this is a huge plus. I play alto recorder and melodica, as well as letting others use my mic. Having volume AND fx amount with two top panel knobs is wonderful.

- USB port on top panel

- harmonizer
Haven't used much, but once again there's top panel button to activate the harmonizer, and a mute button to turn off the mic or guitar or line in

- upper/lower scanner switch for reading chords above and below the split point
This is a cool feature that is new to me. You can choose to have the board reading your input for chords from either side of the split point or across the whole board, very useful

- 2 speakers vs 1 speaker per side, 33 watts per side vs 25 watts
Tried out a 700 and 1000 side by side in GC, couldn't hear any difference in volume or sound quality. Not a very conclusive test, but its evidence that they're pretty similar

- screen that tilts up
I love this feature. Esp when playing outdoors, it really helps with the glare, and indoors its just handy, makes editing easier when you're constantly touching the panel. It's also a liability, I only use it when needed, would dread having it break

- 2GB of factory samples vs 1GB, apparently most of this is for another large piano

- dj style slider for dual sequencer/mp3 playback.

IF I needed to buy again and could afford it, I would definitely buy the Pa1000 over the Pa700. I mostly appreciate the aftertouch, more user sample memory, the top panel controls for harmonizer, and tilt-up screen. That said, if I couldn't afford the upgrade price of the Pa1000 I'd be very happy to have the Pa700.

Just be sure you register with Korg, which extends your 1 year warranty to 2 years.

If price is a determining factor for you look at ebay, ProAudioStar, etc.
I've routinely seen the 700 and 1000 at $1,100 and $1,650, new. Another avenue I've been looking up the Pa700 on the Thomann website (for US customers), it sells thru them for $1033 including shipping, and you can probably find it cheaper if you look for returns with warranty or refurb with warranty, which I've seen on their site. Musicstore.de is another large German retailer. I just sent them an email to find out the particulars:
? As a German company, are they also charging VAT?
? Would I be paying CA tax? Import fees?
? Warranty honored in the states?

Randy
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone did a very extensive comparison chart of Pa700/1000/Pa4X. Tons of good info:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=111673&sid=19831c0613315a8222471f520780cfd8
ime95mos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the microSD card that you can put in the PA700? Would that solve the issue of having less space to store sounds? For example this huge piano sound..
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ime95mos wrote:
What about the microSD card that you can put in the PA700? Would that solve the issue of having less space to store sounds? For example this huge piano sound..

No, you can play mp3 and midi files in real time from a USB stick, and store your Styles etc. on the microSD card. But you need the built-in flash memory to playback new samples
ktn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just be sure you register with Korg, which extends your 1 year warranty to 2 years" ?
If this is TRUE, I do not have to worry about buying extra warranty from local Guitar Center.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktn wrote:
"Just be sure you register with Korg, which extends your 1 year warranty to 2 years" ?
If this is TRUE, I do not have to worry about buying extra warranty from local Guitar Center.

That is not entirely true. The extended warranty from Guitar Center is different than the warranty that Korg offers on its products. The warranty from GC allows you to take the board to them if there is a problem and they take care of the shipping and will repair/replace it if needed.

With Korg's warranty, you are responsible for getting the unit to them and depending on where you are located, may cost you $$ to ship it to them (which is my case).

The GC warranty, if after trying to fix the same problem 4 times, will replace the unit with a new one. Usually for products under a certain dollar amount, they would replace it anyway (I have gone through about 7 Pro-Line foot pedals due to failure and they replace them without any questions). For the higher priced units (I think over $300), they repair it and if after the 4th time, they will replace it. Please look over their warranty info for exact details, as I may not have all of the facts correct on their repair/replacement details.

I bought the extended warranty for my PA700 when I bought the unit and it is re-doable after the warranty period expires. I believe it to be a good investment. They try to push the warranty coverage on EVERYTHING they sell and that is how they make a lot of profit. One cannot blame them and the warranty does work if you need to use it.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: PA700 or PA1000 ? Reply with quote

ktn wrote:
Does the PA1000 have features that make it worth spending and extra 700$? I budget for the PA-1000, just want to make sure my money is worth. I have tried both models at local GC and the PA1000 does look better but sounds the same as the PA700 (within my short test time).

2) load rythm directly from USB thumb drive (without having to copy to internal memory)
These are the key features I want to have in my next arranger. (TYROS do not have 3,4 and 5 above)

I own the PA700. I have gotten A LOT of mileage from mine. I LOVE it!

Why did I pick the PA700? It had the features I needed and also, the PA1000 was not available at the time. It took a few months before the PA1000 was released and frankly, I could not wait, so I bought the PA700.

For me, it was a good choice, and I stand by that choice. Do I need the extra features that the PA100 has over the PA700? No - at least not now. I am in the market for getting another PA700 next month and considered getting the PA1000. The price difference for me also dictates which one I get. I like the PA700. I do not really need the harmonizer features and if I did, only having a 1/4" input for the microphone kind of turns me off a bit.

With regard to the extra memory going to the extra piano sound(s), I loaded a Yamaha C5 sample set that Reuben (another user in the forum) created and it sounds great. I can load styles from the PA1000 (as well ad PA4X, and even older models) so the compatibility is there for me. The sequencer is the same pretty much, but the idea of a dual sequencer is somewhat appealing (it was a feature on the PA500). I could use that feature for DJing using the PA series as a music source. It is not mission critical though, for me to have it , so it is okay that I do not.

The in-built speaker system on my PA700 fills just about any room I play in with robust and clear sound. I am not sure that the extra speakers/amp power would really benefit me. For bigger rooms, I take a PA with me anyway...

I hope that this helps a bit.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
ime95mos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: PA700 or PA1000 ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the great input. It was mentioned earlier that the memory could be an issue after loading a new Piano Sample. Is that the case for you as well? Once the piano is in, there's almost no room left for anything more?

Musicwithharry wrote:
ktn wrote:

Why did I pick the PA700? It had the features I needed and also, the PA1000 was not available at the time. It took a few months before the PA1000 was released and frankly, I could not wait, so I bought the PA700.

For me, it was a good choice, and I stand by that choice. Do I need the extra features that the PA100 has over the PA700? No - at least not now. I am in the market for getting another PA700 next month and considered getting the PA1000. The price difference for me also dictates which one I get. I like the PA700. I do not really need the harmonizer features and if I did, only having a 1/4" input for the microphone kind of turns me off a bit.

With regard to the extra memory going to the extra piano sound(s), I loaded a Yamaha C5 sample set that Reuben (another user in the forum) created and it sounds great. I can load styles from the PA1000 (as well ad PA4X, and even older models) so the compatibility is there for me. The sequencer is the same pretty much, but the idea of a dual sequencer is somewhat appealing (it was a feature on the PA500). I could use that feature for DJing using the PA series as a music source. It is not mission critical though, for me to have it , so it is okay that I do not.

The in-built speaker system on my PA700 fills just about any room I play in with robust and clear sound. I am not sure that the extra speakers/amp power would really benefit me. For bigger rooms, I take a PA with me anyway...

Grace,
Harry
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PA700 or PA1000 ? Reply with quote

ime95mos wrote:
Thanks for the great input. It was mentioned earlier that the memory could be an issue after loading a new Piano Sample. Is that the case for you as well? Once the piano is in, there's almost no room left for anything more?

Musicwithharry wrote:
ktn wrote:

Grace,
Harry

When I have the Yamaha C5 Piano sample pack loaded in my PA700 (which is all the time), there is no real room left for anything else. Reuben also has a smaller sample pack with only two velocity layers that takes up less room, but I have not tried it yet.

I am able to get most of what I need from the factory samples and the Yamaha C5 Piano sample pack. I really do not need to sample anything else, so the lack of room does not bother me much at all.

I also have many other keyboards in my studio, including the Ensoniq VFX-SD, so I have pretty much all the sounds I need. Even when I go live, I can take the Ensoniq with me for those additional sounds. My live rig consists of about 3-4 keyboards anyway...

The only sound that I cannot make is a Oscillator Hard Sync sound (I have another post about this) and it is not my limitation, but rather a limitation of the synth engine. I have another synth that approximates this sound live (until I get the Behringer Deepmind-12 - and it does do OSC Sync).

There are times I wish that Korg would allow the Sample RAM/User RAM to be user-upgradeable, but I do not think that they allow this on their flagship arranger either... it is really not a problem for me, though...

Grace,
Harry
ime95mos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Piano Sound in the PA700/1000 really that bad that one need to upgrade with new samples? Can the current sound be tweaked in any way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: