Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 vs Kronos (1)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raffo333

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 vs Kronos (1) Reply with quote

Hi there, could you please tell me the differences mostly in the sequencer, song editing, karma ?
I am between e New Kronos 2 and a Used Kronos (1) in excellent conditions, the difference in price is 1000 euros.

Best Regards
Raf
JFree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both running on the same OS. To my knowledge there is no functional difference. The original is slightly larger physically and has the wood end caps.
raffo333

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Kronos 1 can be upgraded to the latest OS ?
Any significant difference between the two ?
How about sounds?
JFree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are mirror images-one stays in the studio, one stays on the road.
raffo333

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is an upgrade kit for the RAM and the SSD,
so i guess apart for the bigger display and the wooden side panels ,
are the same ?
JFree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have the same ram and ssd, or multiple ssds. Display is not bigger. To my knowledge they function the same. Someone may chime in with other info-just my personal experience.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffo333 wrote:
So the Kronos 1 can be upgraded to the latest OS ?
Any significant difference between the two ?
How about sounds?

this is for Kronos 1:

Dear KRONOS user,

Korg is pleased to announce the "New KRONOS Sound Pack" for the current KRONOS users.

New KRONOS Sound Pack (normally $299, introductory price of $249)

The "New KRONOS Sound Pack" includes the following new KRONOS Sound Libraries, as featured in the new KRONOS:

• EXs17 SGX-2 Berlin D Piano
• EXs18 KORG EXs Collections
• KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0

The ”New KRONOS Sound Pack" adds these fresh new sounds to the KRONOS and KRONOS X.

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2015/0129/
https://shop.korg.com/kronos/SoundLibraries

• EXs17 SGX-2 Berlin D Piano
Contents: Approximately 8.6GB of PCM samples, 16 Piano Types.

One of the three great pianos of the world, this legendary instrument from Berlin has been captured for the SGX‐2 sound engine. The KRONOS piano engine has always offered huge collections of non-looped/natural decay stereo samples, recorded for every key, with additional unique tools to customize the piano to your needs. Inheriting all of this SGX-1 functionality, the new enhanced SGX-2 Grand Piano engine introduces the new Berlin Grand Piano, including 12 velocity zones, Sympathetic String Resonance and newly-recorded Una Corda (soft pedal - literally "one-string")
The EXs17 Berlin Grand Piano offers resonant piano sound with striking sense of depth.

• EXs18 KORG EXs Collections
Contents: Approximately 900MB of PCM samples, 93 Multisamples (42 stereo)

EXs18 contains a selection of string, choir and brass sounds from the three KORG EXs titles listed below.
・ EXs11 Legendary Strings
・ EXs15 Classical and Ambient Choir
・ EXs16 Funk and Soul Brass

• KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0
Contents: 256 Programs, 32 Combinations, 13 Wavesequences, 1 Set List

KRS-07 provides new Programs which use the samples from EXs17 and EXs18. Additional Song Programs are named for the classic rock and pop songs whose signature keyboard sounds these programs recreate. Use these universally well-known sounds to pay homage to the originals, or as the basis for personal sonic explorations.

EXs17 and EXs18 demo versions and authorization codes
As always, you can download and try out all EXs libraries for free. Initially, they will work in demo mode. You'll be able to play, edit, and save Programs, Combis, Wave Sequences, and Songs which use the new samples - but until you purchase an authorization code, their sound will fade out periodically. To purchase an authorization code, go to the online shop at https://shop.korg.com/kronos/SoundLibraries. Once the "New KRONOS Sound Pack" purchased, entering the authorization code into the KRONOS removes the audio limitations of demo mode - no additional downloads required.

KRS-07 is available for download only after purchasing the “New KRONOS Sound Pack.” Pre-purchase demo mode is not available for KRS-07.

We hope that you enjoy these additions to the KRONOS as much as we enjoyed creating them!

Best regards,
KORG
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFree wrote:
I have both running on the same OS. To my knowledge there is no functional difference. The original is slightly larger physically and has the wood end caps.

Both my original K61 and K88 had black plastic end caps.
JFree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot-you're right. My typing got away from me. The new one has wood end caps, the original is slightly larger. Sorry about that.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos Classic (the original) released with a 30 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM. Approximately 1 gig for the OS and base ROM, and 1 gig for EXs libraries or user samples. This can be upgraded to 3 gigs.

The newer versions released with hard drives that were twice the size (62 gigs) and came with the full 3 gigs of RAM. If you are going to be buying sample sound libraries, you'll want the higher capacity HD.

Using sample streaming (KSC Auto-Load settings, in GLOBAL), the RAM averages around 10% of the sample file (in HD) to play the sound, depending on the sample library. It's possible for the 2 gigs of user RAM to play 20 gigs worth of EXs libraries or user samples. I unloaded the giant 4 gig German, Japanese piano, and other EXs libraries to make room for 3rd party sounds.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Kronos Classic (the original) released with a 30 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM. Approximately 1 gig for the OS and base ROM, and 1 gig for EXs libraries or user samples. This can be upgraded to 3 gigs.

The newer versions released with hard drives that were twice the size (62 gigs) and came with the full 3 gigs of RAM. If you are going to be buying sample sound libraries, you'll want the higher capacity HD.

Using sample streaming (KSC Auto-Load settings, in GLOBAL), the RAM averages around 10% of the sample file (in HD) to play the sound, depending on the sample library. It's possible for the 2 gigs of user RAM to play 20 gigs worth of EXs libraries or user samples. I unloaded the giant 4 gig German, Japanese piano, and other EXs libraries to make room for 3rd party sounds.

Mike- aren't they SSDs?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mike- aren't they SSDs?

Yes, which is why they only need a small amount of RAM to stream to. That is for sample playback. For audio tracks, you can just record straight to hard disk.

You'll notice on the KSC Auto-Load page the size of the sample library on your hard drive versus the streaming size to RAM. For example, this Guitar library is 41 megs on the hard drive, but needs 3.7 megs of RAM to steam to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: