Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the Monologue to make a phaser effect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonneyBuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Using the Monologue to make a phaser effect Reply with quote

How one might use the Monologue to create a 'phaser' like effect?

Specifically kind of like whats happening to the voices in this track 37 sec in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvHjoLxxh8

Any ideas?
synthpeter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A phaser blocks frequencies in the output by splitting the signal, changing the signal phase in one split and mixing it back into the dry signal, causing constructive and destructive interference at various frequencies.

With just the Monologue, maybe you can get somewhere if you feedback the phono output into the audio input. This way you can introduce interference, but I'm not sure that the signal phase is affected in such a way that you can get the phaser effect. You probably need to add some filter circuit in the feedback path.

Last edited by synthpeter on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
synthpeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some tries yesterday evening with the phono out connected to the audio in to see what results could be achieved..

First thing I noticed, is that the audio-in requires a lot of drive to register in the output again, so I had to crank the master volume up a lot.

With that done, I tried various sounds/settings, and the main result was that gritty sounds got grittier, but I couldn't get a phaser like effect.

What I learned from an evening of twiddling with the settings, is that for a phaser effect, you need a phaser pedal..
JonneyBuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info synthpeter! This phaser pedal looks pretty tasty...https://empresseffects.com/products/phaser

I am wondering though if 'phraser' is the right time, perhaps its more of a flanger effect that I'm seeking? Sorry not always spot on with the terminology!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: