Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any RUMORS of new Korg arranger (Pa5X?) in the near future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve350

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not stupid and going to lose money to go back to the Pa3. I am just saying I fell victim to the hype of the better this and better that, and It's all marketing BS. My 4 is not worth thousands of dollars more than my 3, that's all I am saying. It's my fault, no one else. I bought the hype now I have to live with it. But I won't get fooled again with a Pa5 or Pa6, it's the same BS in a new box. I'm stuck with my pa4 so end of story. I am glad you all love your Pa4 but I am telling you it is all BS. You don't get the bang for your buck. Again, I blame no one else but me, I fell for it. If you have a Pa3 and are thinking of going to a Pa4, be real careful.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your position Steve . I bought my pa1x 14 years ago and was not tempted by either the 2x or 3x as I too did not consider the upgrade from my 1x was worth the extra cost . I love my pa1x and the 4x has pushed me other then top as a musician . The next iteration is unlikely to tempt me unless the sounds and features are far and away better than what I have now which is highly unlikely.
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
unless the sounds and features are far and away better than what I have now which is highly unlikely.

I would prefer to see rathet more new feautures than sounds or styles.
It is obvious that producer by new version of their product wants to prove that the new version of the instrument is better then previous generation showing it by sounds improving and new content.

There is much more to do in terms of live control
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve350 wrote:
I am not stupid and going to lose money to go back to the Pa3. I am just saying I fell victim to the hype of the better this and better that, and It's all marketing BS. My 4 is not worth thousands of dollars more than my 3, that's all I am saying. It's my fault, no one else. I bought the hype now I have to live with it. But I won't get fooled again with a Pa5 or Pa6, it's the same BS in a new box. I'm stuck with my pa4 so end of story. I am glad you all love your Pa4 but I am telling you it is all BS. You don't get the bang for your buck. Again, I blame no one else but me, I fell for it. If you have a Pa3 and are thinking of going to a Pa4, be real careful.

I feel sorry for you, but I don't agree. Maybe you just need to give it more time.
I went from PA800 to PA3X and then, after quite a while of hesitating, to PA4X.
Never had ANY regret, because I do find the PA4X VERY superior to PA3X in all aspects: sounds (Italian Grand!), styles, looks, operating, everything.
It's a joy to play it and to be in the forefront of al the latest developments (which sometimes also has a downside, but I don't mind).

When PA5X appears on the market I don't think I will hesitate for long (unless it's totally crap, but that will not happen) and move over to a brand new 76 key version.

Play in style. Wink
steve350

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect everyone on this forum. You all have been very supportive when I've had questions. etc. All I am saying is that for my ears, I don't hear thousands of $'s of improvements. This is ALL on me no one else. I wish there was a music store that had the 4 before I purchased it. If so, I probably would have stayed with my 3.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Rumors next serie Reply with quote

steve350 wrote:
.. I don't hear thousands .. of improvements. This is ALL on me no one else. ...

I have the same opinion regarding the midrange models compared Pa800 vs Pa1000. Also for me I don't see great of improvements.

The development of the StylePlay functions with the Pa1000 is even a big step backwards. Some of the valuable functions of Pa800 have disappeared and therefore that is a severely restriction in Live Control of StylePlay.

What we had on Pa800 you can no longer find on the Pa1000: simple Fill-Buttons for direct access, StyleChange (Link of Performances/KbdSets to Styles), Fill-Mode, StyleToKbd-Set (STS) which also works with songbook, StylePreferences at performance/kbdset level (not as globals) .... just to name a few.

Particularly bad it is that StyleToKbd-Set of Pa1000 cannot be used with the songbook. From the German support following justification I received: background for the insufficiency that the SongBook does not switch to another style like in StylePlay mode while the game is running was the intention, that user instead only should use one sb-entry for each music track to be performed.

That means, with the SetList an uninterrupted transition is not possible when changing the style and that is a restriction to only perform one style per song, i.e. no switching of the style tracks play / mute, no different volume or instruments, no differently initiated transitions of style elements (because also fill mode is missing in the Pa1000).
I hope that a development step backwards will not be repeated for the next model and think that it will take at least two years until new models come onto the market.

I also hope that in the meantime the long overdue OS update in midrange area is coming instead of staring at rumors in next future!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been over a year now since people reported a pa4x follow prototype, up in the korg factory, which was In the proces of sound design..

I would have bet my left ankle that Korg aimed to release it at musikesse 2020..

But with the Corona that might be much later...

But with the i3 around, there are signs what direction korg might be going...
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bachus...how do you envision this... (quote: "But with the i3 around, there are signs what direction korg might be going...")
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Hi Bachus...how do you envision this... (quote: "But with the i3 around, there are signs what direction korg might be going...")

For example 16 multi function buttons that can be different things..

Just look at the different functions of the buttons on the i3

If you make it 18 buttons and combine them with the 9 sliders..
that gives even more options..

Also expect that there will be 8 knobs, also assignable ..

In general i expect less buttons... altough, that would be contra the strongest thing of the pa4x..
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if there were more buttons then (for me) they would have to have useful specific performance functions.
If the next PA ends up like a Kronos (or typical workstation) then it will not be for me.
I personally think the PA4X has the best control surface of any arranger - excellent for performing and recording.
Lots more programmable buttons/pads/sliders would turn it into a workstation (which it is not).

The PA4X control surface is one of many features that positions it well above any other arranger.

Korg - please don't end up with a hybrid arranger/workstation.....

Just my personal opinion Wink

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess they are at the advanced stage of pre release by now so from a hardware perpective this will be a fixed position...
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what to think about the PA4X, since I have the PA700. Before that, I did have a PA500 for a time but never really got into it. I used Roland arrangers before jumping solely back onto the Korg ship for arrangers. I am glad I did. Yamaha was too expensive. Roland is too dated. Aside from the offerings from Ketron, I see little competition for Korg.

I think that they got it right with the current PA series, and in my case, the PA700.

I, personally, would LOVE to see more workstation features in a future PA series offering. In particular, I would love to see a more comprehensive MIDI implementation (layering multiple tracks onto a single MIDI channel (similar to their workstation system)). I have a lot of success with the Korg Kross and M50 in this regard. Leaving each MIDI track to a single channel kind of defeats the layering aspect in a sequence - at least for me.

I would also LOVE to see KARMA implemented in an arranger. Yes, some may see it as overkill (since there are already style tracks), but imagine the possibilities of having KARMA running, in realtime, over style tracks... I would wholeheartedly welcome that addition. In my opinion, it would open up the PA Series to a whole new world of music writing.

Being able to store more than one sequence at a time in memory would be neat too.

Keep in mind that I am coming from this from the view of what the PA700 offers. I do not use KAOSS at all in my original music writing and only use it for ONE SONG in my band. To me, it does not offer much in the way of functionality. I get more mileage out of using the ARP features in my M50 than I do KAOSS. Maybe it is me...

I think that a hybrid would be neat, and Korg certainly has the tech to make it happen.

I have read reviews on the Kronos and some of the reviews have talked about how KARMA can almost make the Kronos into an arranger - emphasis being on the 'almost' wording. Why not make the extra jump and have a model that actually DOES arranging, with styles, but with the functionality of a workstation.

I would also love to see peripheral support for the PA Series. Being able to hook up a mouse/keyboard to it would also be neat. It would also give the unit the ability to act as a centerpiece of a studio. The video out is neat, but is limited, at least in my opinion. Allowing for global touch screen compatibility would be cool too. This would further the 'centerpiece' mode for the unit.

With the above said, how much would it cost? I would not see a problem with a $3k-$4k price range if it had all of those features. It would certainly be the price of admission and I bet it would attract a whole new set of users. Granted, some of those users may be from the current workstation demographic, but they would still get sales.

With my first statement about being firmly in the Korg camp, I am intrigued by the Ketron offerings; particularly the Audya and SD7/9 units. They have a lot of neat stuff and sound really good (largely due to their live guitars and drums stuff for style playback). I would have to think LONG and HARD before adding a non-Korg unit into my studio though.

Even Medeli has an upcoming workstation called the AKX-10. I am not endorsing them at all, really, but if the specs on it are really true, it looks to be rather impressive. Reviews of it online (there are only a few) show that it is eerily similar to the Yamaha PSR-SX, but with older sound tech. That may be a deal breaker. The price of this unit is supposed to be around $800 USD. Not bad considering what the specs say. Of course, we all know about Medeli and their mediocre sounds/tech, but even they have stepped up their game, in the name of competition. I digress...

I hope that all are safe and healthy during this time of world-wide pandemic.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am intrigued by the Ketron offerings; particularly the Audya and SD7/9 units. They have a lot of neat stuff and sound really good
Have to agree - Audya has always intrigued me since it was released many years ago - nearly bought one - didn't jump in back then due to its excessive number of bugs plus zero support here in OZ and grossly marked up ($$) - still unsupported and expensive now in 2020 Confused
Quote:
I would also LOVE to see KARMA implemented in an arranger.
....never for me!! KARMA is unbelievable technology (thanks Stephen Very Happy ) but definitely not for an arranger. If you've used and manipulated KARMA (I don't mean deep editing but just manipulating it from a performing/recording perspective) then you'd realise that the control surface would have to be doubled (let alone the screen size!!)

Some reckon KARMA is like an "arranger-style" player which it is most definitely not - so very very far from it.
I have owned the original red KARMA, M3 and now, Kronos plus the KARMA MW software - it is outstanding technology - amazing performance keyboards but never fit in the arranger category.

I have been asked several times in the past "should I get a PA1/2/3/4X OR an M3/Kronos?" - the answer is another simple question - "do you want a professional arranger or professional workstation stage keyboard?" - if you seriously need both then buy both.

Good old Casio, when they’re not working on new calculators and watches, do actually come out with some good keyboard gear.
I was very impressed with their MZ-X500, so much so, I bought one.
Now this IS an attempt at an arranger-workstation hybrid - it has very acceptable professional sounds and some great features (some I wish were in my Korgs!!!). I think of it as an unnecessary purchase (suffering from a bit of G.A.S. at the time Wink ) but I am reluctant to part with it. Despite a couple of good OS updates, Casio has already dropped it in terms of its future - great shame really. But it’s CHEAP & FUN and very useable!!!

It's just the way I see it from my experience.

Take care

Pete Very Happy
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's always a disconnect when evaluating the 'value' of going from one model arranger to its immediate successor...

Personally, I always think that unless there is a RADICAL change in the basic sound engine, in the basic style engine, in the voice and effects architecture, there is always going to be a reasonable opinion that it's 'not enough' value to make the switch. And for some, that is quite correct. For others, 'incremental' improvements are sufficient, especially if they have babied their older arranger and can recoup perhaps half the new cost by selling it used.

This makes the new arranger effectively half price, and therefore the incremental change is relatively cheap.

But it's a pretty fair opinion that the PA4X is an 'incremental' model change. Korg have mined the venerable Triton engine and effects architecture for about as long as it can possibly go. There doesn't appear to be any horsepower to spare to add things like a big increase in polyphony, or number of effects inserts that could radically improve the user experience, and the creaking of the sampler engine is starting to show an endgame, having all kinds of problems dealing with large sample numbers, etc..

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's time for Korg to do a complete reboot.

New sound engine (Kronos based?), totally new effects architecture (Korg can't afford to let Yamaha one-up them in such a massive way), totally ground-up redesign of the sampler architecture, realtime timestretching of audio, integrated audio and MIDI playback.

Then there are improvements to the style engine crying out to be implemented... Velocity offsets of style Parts (play harder, style plays harder), Fill-to-Same simple 'pickup' fills that are less busy than full fills, more fills (six works very smoothly on BK series Roland's), more Intro/Endings, easier paring down of complex styles to rhythm section only and back, better voice leading on Guitar Mode, better full Pianostyle chord following (Roland's 'five notes before a new chord with sustain down, three with it up' system is a gamechanger), and the integration of NEXT's variable swing factor into the basic style controls would ALL be very welcome.

In fact, there are some splendid thing's NEXT can do to a style, from the aforementioned variable swing to style complexity and variety that would be better if integrated into 'normal' style operation rather than tucked away into the X-Y pad system they now have. Many of us remember the old arrangers and their .swing factor' buttons and buttons for increasing and decreasing style complexity. Time for those useful functions to reappear...

Then there's Yamaha's eight part Chord Sequencer. The CS taken to its logical (and useful) conclusion. Copy that!

Until this happens, I think we are always going to see the endless debate about whether upgrading one model step is 'worth it'. But Korg have the opportunity (and the current technology) to make the next PA arranger 'worth it' to absolutely everybody. Will they? The last few incremental upgrades don't seem to hold out much promise. But as improvements become more and more small, as there is a legitimate point in saying it's getting harder and harder to actually hear these smaller and smaller improvements, a bold step by Korg becomes more and more needed.

I for one would love to see a model finally come out that there is no debate about whether it is 'worth it'!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
I for one would love to see a model finally come out that there is no debate about whether it is 'worth it'!

A dream that we all have exactly the same requirements and goals - never gonna happen whilst we are all human Wink

As an aside, the PA4X is more than "worth it" for my musical requirements - in fact I am unsure that a new model could have enough "new" stuff to warrant an update of my gear (BUT who knows where Korg will go next).
As for a PA?x with a "Kronos" flavour doesn't make sense - I have both and can tell you that the PA4X is already on a quality par with Kronos in many areas and of course, they are 2 very different keyboards in terms of design - one a workstation and the other an arranger.
Consideration for the control surface is a big issue too - lots of buttons/sliders with multiple functions is a nightmare for an arranger which is primarily a "performance" machine - Nord Stage, Jupiter-80 are performance machines with outstanding control surfaces - so is the PA4X right now - Genos has gone too far with its control surface lacking live & recording support let alone having the same Tyros-based OS - re-design that and I'll seriously consider one - I like Yamaha quality.

So, any rumours - NO - and as always we await the team's announcement.

Take care
Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: