Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automatic overwrite of last pcg?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Automatic overwrite of last pcg? Reply with quote

For fun, I loaded the factory pcg. Just to try some old combi's. I didn't save it.

Wen I restarted the Kronos, the factory pcg loaded automatically.

So my conclusion is, that when you load a pcg, it automatically writes it as wel, overwriting whatever you were working onl.

Now I seem to have lost the latest pcg I was working on. Is there a way to retrieve that?
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't save it to disk using another name, prior to loading another one, I don't think you can get it back.

Last edited by Dniss on Sat May 23, 2020 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic overwrite of last pcg? Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
For fun, I loaded the factory pcg. Just to try some old combi's. I didn't save it.

Wen I restarted the Kronos, the factory pcg loaded automatically.

So my conclusion is, that when you load a pcg, it automatically writes it as wel, overwriting whatever you were working onl.

Now I seem to have lost the latest pcg I was working on. Is there a way to retrieve that?

guessing you don't recall the name of the 'custom ' PCG you were working "from ".

I think its possible to have many PCG files on DISK. I you don't see it, exactly, go by date.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Save All often or every time you create new programs/combis requiring a good amount of work/time. Loading any other PCG replaces the Kronos memory with its Programs/Combis/Global data, thus the importance of backups.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FILE management strikes again
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gone, unless you saved a PCG file for a project you were working on. Do you have other user files?

I save a PCG with every new project. If I'm about to load something, and I'm not sure if I saved my newest programs, I will save a PCG with a name like, "Current520."

I also try and keep a backup of the hard drive. I have a 128G USB stick for that, as well as an old WD drive.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I’ve got a 250GB SSD primary, and a 250GB secondary, so that I have plenty of space for storage. I also have two 128GB USB sticks - one for backups, and one for passing data (imports, samples, etc.) back and forth from my PC.

Any time I’m making big changes I create a backup of the current data (Save All) in a separate directory under a Backups subdirectory, and as well if I haven’t made a backup in several weeks. I name the subdirectories Backup<date> so that I can go back to nearly any point in time, and I also copy them off to USB. Lastly, I also copy the data to my PC for safekeeping.

Takes some effort and forethought, but it is worth it if you should screw up something along the way.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.

Many hours of work lost.

This is not intuitive. Loading means something else than saving in my vocabulary.

I sort of recall I knew this a while ago but forgot it - I didn't work on programming for six months or so.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
Loading means something else than saving in my vocabulary.

When loading a PCG file then all included resources will always overwrite your existing PCG data !
Loading function is not trial or temporary in hardware keyboards , unless noted in manuals !
That's why just "Saving PCG" (the latest one) , is always the most important routine in your Kronos due to prevent this situation !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is unintuitive because one tends to think of the Kronos as a computer (which it really is).

But as a Keyboard, the settings you change via PCG are permanent, they live between reboots of the machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: