Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

direct mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruifa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: direct mode Reply with quote

hi,
can someone please explain me what's direct mode for ?

I use midifiles and styles, so, will direct mode stream all ( styles, modifies , sounds, PCM samples directly from the file in direct mode from usb stick for example?
im a little confused about this,

Best regards to all ! Sad
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Direct set is a function where it reads and plays back the contents of a set EXCEPT PCM and SOUNDS without loading them into keyboard...

EDITED as the info were incorrect to avoid future confusion!!
Sorry about that!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus

Last edited by musiccankill on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...slight correction...
DIRECT data can include Keyboard Sets, Styles, Pads, Voice Presets, SongBook Entries and Set Lists

NOT sounds

Assigning a SET for DIRECT access will effectively add banks of styles, keyboardists etc.. for immediate access.
Please refer to the latest User manual from page 945 "The Direct Data"

Don't hesitate to ask for more help on this if needed.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
...slight correction...
DIRECT data can include Keyboard Sets, Styles, Pads, Voice Presets, SongBook Entries and Set Lists

NOT sounds

Assigning a SET for DIRECT access will effectively add banks of styles, keyboardists etc.. for immediate access.
Please refer to the latest User manual from page 945 "The Direct Data"

Don't hesitate to ask for more help on this if needed.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Seems like i never really used it!!
Sorry!
Just knew it can't use the PCM files!
I m going to edit my answer to avoid confusion!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s hope Korg finally come up with a total solution for the next PA. Anything less is such a half measure as to be barely an improvement over the old system. The speed of modern stick memory is considerably faster than the Korg’s current load speed, so it shouldn’t introduce any bottleneck. Several other arrangers allow full data on removable media and it simplifies backup and storage enormously, not to mention that it finally removes the onus of not knowing whether a song can be loaded because its resources aren’t loaded.

It’s time all data resided in one place, and was instantly accessible at all times. Isn’t this the 21st century, dammit?!
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
...It’s time all data resided in one place, and was instantly accessible at all times. Isn’t this the 21st century, dammit?!
+1000000...,
Totally agree and tired of this out-dated OS in 21st century.
Bill1983

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: $2,000 Difference Reply with quote

BR wrote:
Korghelper wrote:
...It’s time all data resided in one place, and was instantly accessible at all times. Isn’t this the 21st century, dammit?!
+1000000...,
Totally agree and tired of this out-dated OS in 21st century.

I don't disagree but, at the same time, I can't see a GENOS costing an additional $2,000 US Dollars. Do keep in mind that the next generation will be a complete OS Re-Write for Korg. At best, the current CPU will only support C+ and I'm almost positive much of it is done in Assembly Language in order to get the the current performance. This is a huge undertaking for Korg and, as with any ground up new platform, there will be bugs, BIG BUGS.

Let's all be patient. It'll be worth it.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do keep in mind that the next generation will be a complete OS Re-Write for Korg

...and this will be followed by a billion complaints that it is not like the old one, this is missing, that has changed etc..etc...
...the learning curve required for PA3X to PA4X was complained about enough.

Of course I have no idea whether Korg will produce a brand new arranger or produce a next generation of the PA series. Either way, I will not be parting with my PA4X this time. There will be bugs of course as these machines are impossible to achieve 100% UAT - the testing permutations are in the high millions.

I reckon Korg have done a very good job with their arrangers and workstations. I hope the "next" machine does NOT have lots of generic/programmable control surface buttons and sliders - that is for workstations, not arrangers IMHO.

In the meantime we're getting superb new styles eh!!!

Pete Very Happy
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times have I heard you say that this is the last arranger you will buy karma. ???? 😂😂😂
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I hope the "next" machine does NOT have lots of generic/programmable control surface buttons and sliders - that is for workstations, not arrangers IMHO.

Pete Very Happy

I'm afraid here, I can't agree with you on this one, Pete. Everyone tends to use arrangers in a different way, some are very basic LH chord RH solo arranger only mode players, some are full keyboard arranger only players, some are primarily SMF or audio backing players, some are loop users, some use multiple splits, some use Markers extensively, some use the Chord Sequencer a lot, some use the harmonizer, some don't, some use LH bass, some like adding drum or percussion parts on the fly.... And, of course, there are some that do many of those, or all of them!

But there's only ONE physical layout on the arranger, or mild multi-function at best. And that layout of the physical buttons, sliders and knobs isn't necessarily the best for each way you can use an arranger. The reason many WS's have gone to more user-definable controls is simply that they have already acknowledged that a WS can perform a myriad of functions and hardwiring the controls to best suit one type of user or another will limit its appeal.

Now that arrangers are so powerful and multi-functional, its time for the manufacturers to acknowledge that one layout may not be the best. Let's be honest, except for the first few weeks of familiarization, who actually READS the legend on a slider or knob? You simply learn their position, and hope they either have an LED or a contrasting color to be able to hit them accurately on a darkened stage... So why hardwire them any more?

Sure, start with them all in a nice conventional layout familiar to all, but I for one would really like to be able to assign any function I want to any physical controller I want, AND be able to design touch screens with what I want on them, too. This is bone simple easy programming, it's not a tough thing to pull off.

WS's are doing very well in the market. And I believe that part of that success comes from not forcing all their users into one tightly defined box.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
How many times have I heard you say that this is the last arranger you will buy karma. ????

Aha!!!!! You see - I made sure I worded my statement legally and carefully - I only said that I wouldn't "part with" my PA4X - nowhere did I mention not buying a new one!!!

Wink

(Take care worth - always great to hear from you)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: