Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the greatest Korg release - ever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: What's the greatest Korg release - ever? Reply with quote

Sharp will probably push this somewhere else.

A light hearted thread - but could be insightful. Too many items to be a poll so here goes:

What in your view is the greatest ever Korg release?

Edit: Initially said no comment - but perhaps too 'dry' a thread if you can't comment - so please feel free to say why (but please, no rows Smile )

Only one allowed however:-

For me:

OASYS

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
pranaearth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavestation
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Year Wink
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Next Year Wink

Smile

I think I'm on the wrong forum - I should move this over to Facebook! I thought we'd see an interesting set of options emerge. Little did I realise nobody visits here anymore, or hasn't a favourite Korg product!! Smile
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this question is a bit misleading Smile

First, there is tech now that we did not have in Korg's earlier days...

With that said, I think that it depends...

I would put the DW series in the list for the early/mid 80's. as well as the SAS-20 (Korg first arranger).

For the late 80's/early 90's, I would say the M1. It brought together a workflow that allowed most musicians to complete a full instrumental song (whether demo or otherwise) in one box. I do not believe that they are technically the first company to release a workstation, as I believe that the Ensoniq ESQ1 was the first. With that said, Korg integrated EFX to make it more complete, whereas the ESQ1 did not have effects.

I would also add the Wavestation to the list. The Wavestation is self-explanatory Smile

For the mid 90's, I would say the Korg Trinity. It employed a new high-definition synthesis system and introduced the touch screen that so many of us take for granted now Smile

For the 2000's, I would certainly say the OASYS workstation. It was an exercise in an absolutely complete workstation. Had it been priced cheaper, I bet they would not have been able to keep up with the demand.

For the 2010's, most would say that the Kronos should be on the list. While I somewhat agree, I would say that the Kross is a more worthy entry. Why? The Kross provided sufficient polyphony, great sounds, extreme portability, and the ability to record audio - all for a VERY reasonable price of entry.

This list is not all-inclusive, since it only included keyboards. I did not list any guitar processors, digital recording systems, or drum machines.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
synthpeter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make a case for the MS-10, and in its slipstream the MS-20.

That's 1978 tech that's still going strong 40 years later; as can be witnessed by the MS-20-mini and MS-20-FS available today.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the for its game-changing effect on the production side of things, the M1. Yes there was a workstation before it and those that came after it are incredible more powerful and complete in terms of being music production workstations, but the M1 was the one that really kicked it all off. Complete popsongs, movie soundtracks, televisions themes, advertising jingles, it could and did do them all. It also helped make the PCM synth model tired and over used, so that new models had to be created Wink
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg i2 - it was revolutional
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
I have to say the for its game-changing effect on the production side of things, the M1. Yes there was a workstation before it and those that came after it are incredible more powerful and complete in terms of being music production workstations, but the M1 was the one that really kicked it all off. Complete popsongs, movie soundtracks, televisions themes, advertising jingles, it could and did do them all. It also helped make the PCM synth model tired and over used, so that new models had to be created Wink

A big +1.
It was such a blessing when that workstation entered the market.
I find the OASYS concept (began in early nineties) also very important because it dramatically expanded the workstation in terms of depth, versatility and quality.
billysynth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OASYS

AND IT NEEDS TO BE RE ISSUED IN A MORE SLEEK AND SUPER POWERFUL HYBRID DESIGN

VAS
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg M1, it was the greatest game changer in keyboard history..
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Volca trio.

Not because of what they sound like (although if you have the chops they can sound quite good, and can sound great with some effects) but because of what they created in terms of a wave of useful, small, affordable desktop devices.

In a world of bedroom studios and vanishing budgets and gigs, that's huge.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donca matic. Without this the rest may never have been. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Backpool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For newbies dipping their toes in the arranger/workstation market .

Korgs release of the EK50 was a REVALATION ...IMHO

It is SO easy to use and play super music on ....'out of the box' without changing a thing!

Yet Korg have done little to promote this wonderful pocket money product.

I have owned and played arrangers for years and never found anything quite like it.

Keith
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second/third/fourth/fifth both the Wavestation and Korg M1. I've owned three of each of these (still have all of them except one M1, which died in a horrific car accident; fortunately we survived).

Gigged with the M1s for over 10 years on a two-tier setup, primarily organ sounds up top, everything else on the lower tier. Never let me down, not once. (I wonder how many people knew that the expression pedal controlled the rotary speaker effect automatically -- found that out by accident, btw). Had almost all the PCM cards -- still have them! But the Wavestation, I fell in love with more than any other synth. Still in love with them, but primarily only using the A/D version for its inputs. The Wavestate is tempting, really tempting and if Korg ever releases a desktop/module or at least a 49-key version with aftertouch (c'mon, Dan, help us out!!!) then I'll pick it up immediately no matter the price.

(Sorry for breaking the rules. I missed them on the first read through. :( )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: