Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground noise problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam..korg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Ground noise problem Reply with quote

Hello every one,
I connected my Korg M1 to my E-MU sound card and I have ground noise issue.
If I also directly connect the output of the Korg M1 to Yamaha HS5 speakers still I have some noise but perhaps a bit less noise a but also with different characteristics. But all of the are related to ground noise as when I am dumping syx I hear some noise increasing from speakers regardless if M1 is connected to my sound card or speakers directly.

I want to know what is the best solution to remove the ground noise loop.

Thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the M1 produce any of these noises when listening through headphones when there is nothing else connected to the M1, apart from the mains cable?

sam..korg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Does the M1 produce any of these noises when listening through headphones when there is nothing else connected to the M1, apart from the mains cable?

Yes. I checked very carefully. Whenever I bring M1 to the system ( conenct to my sound card) I hear the ground noise loop issue even when M1 is off. It could disappear if I remove the electricity plug

Could it be some issue in the power grouding of my M1?
sam..korg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the answer. I needed to use XLR cable in both sides. I used XLR TRS cable
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using balanced cables is certainly good for reducing induced noise, but it seems that there may still be an underlying problem which might be worth invetigating further. It might be useful to use a continuity meter/multimeter to check that the M1 chassis and jack grounds are connected to the mains power ground through the mains cable, and the same for the other audio equipment. It may be helpful to power all of the audio devices from the same mains socket, by using a mains distribution block or board, so they all share the same earth, and by keeping the mains supply cables close to each other. The audio signal cables, if they are long, should be kept not too far from the mains cables, but separated from them e.g. by a few cm up to a metre or two. Keep the audio equipment away from possible sources of electromagnetic interference, such as air con units, washing machines, large fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: