Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 6 keyboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos 6 keyboard Reply with quote

Hi. I am excited to be ready to buy a Kronos! I considered a Yamaha Montage, and wondered how you guys feel it compares, if you've tried each.

But I will likely go with Korg. My first keyboard was an X3. I have an M3 now that I will likely sell.

My only regret is that Korg made the 73 key model fully weighted. I would vastly prefer a nice semi-weighted keyboard for the 7 octave model. So, I will have to go with the 6.

Have you tried the semi-weighted keys of the Kronos 6? What are your thoughts.

Thanks so much for any responses.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual name is Kronos 2 in 88, 73 and 61 versions. There is also the recent Kronos LS with a lighter 88-key keyboard and no aftertouch, though some reported problems with the keys after a year of ownership.

Before buying my Kronos 2 some years ago, I tried all the top machines from the other brands, including the Montage 8. I didn't really like the feel of the Montage keyboard, especially the connection/response between the keys and the sounds. The organ sounds were also rather poor. YMMV.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Montage. I think the synth and bass sounds are nice, or on the MODX anyway, I played one for hours in a store, but I'm sure Korg has better organ sounds as you mentioned, and probably comparable synth patches.

I am interested in hearing people comment about the Kronos 61 key action as compared to other Kronos which are fully weighted. By the way, I very much like the action on my M3.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't analyze the Montage synth engine much, but I doubt it is in the same league as monsters like the Kronos AL-1 or MOD-7. Even the MS-20, Polysix and STR-1 engines in the Kronos offer refreshing alternatives to work with.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys actually feel that the Kronos isn't just an alternative in the flagship class with Montage, but that it's a vastly better instrument altogether?

That's cool. As I say, my first was a Korg, it's my main axe now, and has always been my favorite. But the MODX I played had some cool stuff. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm ready to buy the synth action one.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall, the Montage FM-X engine is close to the Kronos MOD-7 and possibly the Montage AWM2 slightly superior in sound quality compared to the Kronos HD-1. For versatility though, as mentioned earlier the Kronos has more synth alternatives with the enormous AL-1, the unique STR-1 and also the fun Polysix and MS-20 engines.

For the rest, IMHO the Montage can't compete with the Kronos CX-3 organs. For electric and acoustic pianos, the Kronos also has dedicated engines with the EP-1 and SGX-2, even though it's also up to everyone to decide which instrument has the best pianos. And if you are still not satisfied, the Kronos is also a complete sampler and there are many third party sound libraries available.

One obvious Montage advantage many will see is its interface, more recent and quicker to use, even though the instrument is of course less complex. The two main problems with the Kronos is 1) its interface based on an old fashioned way to reach things. I don't have much problems with it though, because it's pretty close to what I had years ago in my (now sold) Wavestation. The other tough fact about the Kronos is 2) that it takes a long while to master. You can of course enjoy it right out of the box, but there is so much to learn that you could easily spend the next 5 years discovering and programming. Cool
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a super helpful response, thank you. Yeah the Kronos has a lot of sound engines, very interesting. Korg has always had the best organs; in fact their CX3 is regarded more highly by guys I play with than Hammond's digital version of their own organ.

I have an issue with Yamaha even if I turn out to prefer the Montage, which is that I use pitch bend a lot with synth bass and lead sounds, and I vastly prefer a stick to a wheel. Yamaha uses nice key beds; in some cases I believe the same as Korg... but I love that joystick for pitch bend on a Korg keyboard. I have kept this M3 as a controller for years because it's a good one.

I should also say though, I'm curious how a modern keyboard would interact for me with Logic Pro X. They probably already have maps for it, and can be quite useful.

I'm really curious about all these various synth engines on the Kronos. I love rhythm based filtering and LFO sounds, so I assume a Karma engine on the Kronos must be fantastic for that, and have editing capability.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

For the rest, IMHO the Montage can't compete with the Kronos CX-3 organs. For electric and acoustic pianos, the Kronos also has dedicated engines with the EP-1 and SGX-2, even though it's also up to everyone to decide which instrument has the best pianos. And if you are still not satisfied, the Kronos is also a complete sampler and there are many third party sound libraries available.
g. Cool

KK, in CX-3 mode, can the 8 sliders on the Kronos work as drawbars?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:

Glad I can help. About the drawbars, yes and you actually have nine for CX-3 control, just like on a real Hammond with tone generator. Cool

I made a video about a year ago very briefly presenting some sounds you can get from the Kronos engines with some programming, in case you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xF3yl5V3o
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a K2 61 and the keybed is OK only. I bought it because I don't like weighted keys.

IMO weighted keys only good for pianos and most of the stuff I play is synth related.

Shame they didn't use the 76 synth action keybed from the Oasys which is glorious.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg used a Yamaha keybed for their high end synths. (01/W, Triton, Trinity, Wavestation, etc.) The same keybed that was used in the DX-7. I built two MIDI controllers using that keybed as it is my favorite action.

Yamaha discontinued that keybed years ago (after the second Motif) so Korg had no choice but to move on. I suspect that very nice keybed costs much more than newer less robust versions. Competition brings innovation and lower prices BUT it can also bring lower quality.

I wonder if manufacturers offered a premium version product offering the beter keybed for example, would people buy it?

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
I have a K2 61 and the keybed is OK only. I bought it because I don't like weighted keys.

IMO weighted keys only good for pianos and most of the stuff I play is synth related.

Shame they didn't use the 76 synth action keybed from the Oasys which is glorious.

Ahh, that is a shame! If something works, why change it? I wish Apple would adopt this philosophy as well. ; ) Yeah, me too. I never met a piano or Fender Rhodes I didn't like, but in my experience, synth manufacturers make weighted keys too heavy, with too much resistance. Plus they are exhausting to move around.

I love those light synth keys. I also love semi-weighted keys, with just a bit of resistance. That can be very nice to play also.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
PlasticLoveDoll wrote:

Glad I can help. About the drawbars, yes and you actually have nine for CX-3 control, just like on a real Hammond with tone generator. Cool

I made a video about a year ago very briefly presenting some sounds you can get from the Kronos engines with some programming, in case you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xF3yl5V3o

9 sliders for drawbars!? That's fantastic.

Thank you for the link to this video. You did an excellent job. Your titles in the beginning are so professional. I would like to do titles that well.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
9 sliders for drawbars!? That's fantastic.

Hi there,

Glad you like my video. Also, about the nine drawbars, indeed if you look at close-up pics of the Kronos controls, you will see that it's actually the master slider which in CX-3 mode is used as the 9th drawbar. And just like on a real Hammond, if you use a percussion setting (2nd or 3rd harmonic) in a CX-3 program, that 9th drawbar is disconnected.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Korg used a Yamaha keybed for their high end synths. (01/W, Triton, Trinity, Wavestation, etc.) The same keybed that was used in the DX-7. I built two MIDI controllers using that keybed as it is my favorite action.

Yamaha discontinued that keybed years ago (after the second Motif) so Korg had no choice but to move on. I suspect that very nice keybed costs much more than newer less robust versions. Competition brings innovation and lower prices BUT it can also bring lower quality.

I wonder if manufacturers offered a premium version product offering the beter keybed for example, would people buy it?

Geo

Ugh. That is so disheartening. You don't want quality to diminish, especially in something as crucial as the keys. I mean, that's how we play music and make contact with our instrument. Skimp on the knobs if you must, but please not the keybed. That troubles me because years ago, I sold my Motif 7 (original Motif) and then tried a Motif XS and loved it. It felt super smooth, and the sounds were nice too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: