Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would like Korg more if they updated Kronos OS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I think sometimes we have to get out of our bubble on what we think today.

I haven't met anyone who can accurately predict the future.

Its about the collective community of Kronos owners, I think this bigger picture
is more important.

Communicating to Korg Inc is fair game. Today.

Did you vote ?

Thank you for your many years of effort on the forum.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
I would love to be wrong, but I believe the Kronos is the last of the flagship workstations. I see more and more performers using laptops on stage. I sincerely doubt that a viable market exists for a new W/S to be profitable in terms of R&D.

That is pretty much what I think too. I see the Korg Kronos as one of the few ultimate top musical machines of its kind that mark the end of an era and will remain unsurpassed (in its day). Like the great Korg PS-3300 and Yamaha CS-80 until around 1980. Then later the Fairlight CMI and Synclavier which stopped being produced around 1990, etc.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
[quo.

That is pretty much what I think too. I see the Korg Kronos as one of the few ultimate top musical machines of its kind that mark the end of an era and will remain unsurpassed (in its day). Like the great Korg PS-3300 and Yamaha CS-80 until around 1980. Then later the Fairlight CMI and Synclavier which stopped being produced around 1990, etc.[/quote]

I am not convinced comparisons to other devices is accurate.

I see this a lot on gear discussions, but I see these devices as different animals in prior decades where circumstances are significantly different.

I am not finding solid data that Kronos ' remains unsurpassed ' in 2020.

In my phone calls to several dealers, is that other Flagship boards and the software platforms, have reduced demand and sales of Kronos.

I love my Kronos but I stay in touch with the data and demand in 2020.

And the other choices have caught up with Korg.

Just think, if Korg Inc did enhancements 2 years ago, and/or 1 year ago that
could have helped Kronos sales in 2020.

My opinion still stands- Korg Inc should make Kronos a priority today.

I am not inclined to give Korg Inc a free pass. For whatever ' rationale '.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
KK wrote:
...ultimate top musical machines of its kind that mark the end of an era...

I see this a lot on gear discussions, but I see these devices as different animals in prior decades where circumstances are significantly different.

In my phone calls to several dealers, is that other Flagship boards and the software platforms, have reduced demand and sales of Kronos.

See in bold italic above. You mention I should not compare different animals, but you compare the Kronos to software platforms. I don't see any hardware machine right now offering more than the Kronos in terms of sound and versatility. Certainly not the Montage or the new Roland thing. But hey, that's just my opinion. We'll see who is right about how great the Kronos is/was in the 2030 Keyboard magazine about famous vintage synths of 2010-2020.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
GregC wrote:
KK wrote:
...ultimate top musical machines of its kind that mark the end of an era...

See in bold italic above.

1) You mention I should not compare different animals, but you compare the Kronos to software platforms.

I don't see any hardware machine right now offering more than the Kronos in terms of sound and versatility. Certainly not the Montage or the new Roland thing. But hey, that's just my opinion. We'll see who is right about how great the Kronos is/was in the 2030 Keyboard magazine about famous vintage synths of 2010-2020.

1) No sir.

I stated the buyer demand of software platforms are competing with Kronos in terms of choice.

That is a direct quote from 2 dealers in the US.

They have the data on software sales 2020. Fantom, Montage/MoDX.
Finally Kronos.

Thats not 'my compare'. Thats a shift from Kronos in 2020 to the other models
and software.

I don't have any power to tell anyone what to buy.

I am reporting the news from retail.

Thats not 'my compare'.

It doesn't matter much what you or I think about Kronos. As you say, its our opinion.

As I have said a few times, introduce me to anyone who can accurately predict the future. I find it difficult to support a point based on a wish of what maybe might occur in 2030.

Thank you
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my feeling is that the best thing we could do as a user community in asking for a software update is to offer up a prioritized list of what we feel is important to us. I know there are some existing threads but they are sort of scattered and perhaps a bit dated - people who submitted ideas years ago may have moved on from Kronos.

Personally I wouldn't rule anything out that can be done in software since we don't have access to the intellectual capital to know what might be a small vs. huge effort. We could make educated guesses but there may be things we don't know too.

For bug fixes if we could include steps to reproduce I'm sure that would be helpful.

Maybe a new thread to collect ideas for enhancements? There has to be some website that would let you create a list of things and let people vote for their X favorite items to identify top choices...

My 2 cents. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do a few enhancements that are high on the list and not huge costs.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only normal that people buy different things/choices and of course many associate newer with better, hence the other two hardware things. Software use is increasing too, hence why the era of hardware workstations is slowing down and possibly ending with, as I mentioned, the Kronos as its most significant example.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
I guess my feeling is that the best thing we could do as a user community in asking for a software update is to offer up a prioritized list of what we feel is important to us. I know there are some existing threads but they are sort of scattered and perhaps a bit dated - people who submitted ideas years ago may have moved on from Kronos.

Personally I wouldn't rule anything out that can be done in software since we don't have access to the intellectual capital to know what might be a small vs. huge effort. We could make educated guesses but there may be things we don't know too.

For bug fixes if we could include steps to reproduce I'm sure that would be helpful.

1) Maybe a new thread to collect ideas for enhancements? There has to be some website that would let you create a list of things and let people vote for their X favorite items to identify top choices...

My 2 cents. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do a few enhancements that are high on the list and not huge costs.

1) Yes, we have a fair list going here :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122431&start=0

copy/paste:

Currently, we have +8 years of requests that are disorganized and buried.
+300 topics/posts where we can not easily dig up and sort out the useful suggestions.

I see this organization challenge as a result of lack of structure on the forum.

My "topic " is a house cleaning step towards what is viable, feasible.

Can we, as a concerned group agree on what 'will never happen ' ?

I think that 'subtraction ' will help us create a prioritized and organized list.

Not totally sure if this 'subtraction ' is how we should proceed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, and then once more : If, at best, Korg has in his boxes a project to build a successor to the Kronos, my only faithfull hope is that he has a downward compatibility with the current Kronos.
Hopes

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it has been discussed many times before that workstations like the Kronos is a thing of the past, and a Mac/PC with software synths is far superior in some areas, but will never be easy to manage on stage. The Oasys was the first "real workstation" to include a magnitude of different Sound Generators to cover just about "everything a musician could want". The hardware is outdated .. the code is outdated and some of the sound engines is also inferior to what you can buy for the Mac/PC today, but the fact is that really many of the top pro session keyboard players all around the world still use one or more Kronos'es in their lineup .. and then there is all the rest of us. The Kronos is still popular for those that have the time to get to know the beast, and it remains one of the best keyboards now nearly a decade later.

That is why I don't get Korg isn't interested in developing more for the Kronos when they have such dedicated well known users as eg. Jordan Rudess that still after over 2 decades still use the same Korg hardware as his main setup. I know he is propably also getting payed for it, but anyway. The Kronos is still a viable choice today even it shows its age compared to some of the newer top products its up against, so give people some upgrades, even I had to pay for it, I would propably be willing to if it ment dissing a couple k's out on a hardware and software update that braught the Kronos into the 2020's with 64bit OS, a modern upgradeable hardware platform with a new hi-res display, VST support, better i/o connectivity.

I know it'll most likely only be a dream, but one can dream .. right Wink

I was seeing one day, how Yamaha (in Asia) offers people upgradeable kits of their Electone organs to put them up to the latest models. And Organs is a very small niche market today .. even there live a lot of people in Asia, the majority off them don't have the money to even buy a 20 year old Electone. If I would buy one of those in Asia and get it shipped to Europe the top Electone would cost as much as min. 5-6 Kronos together, so Its only a question if you want to develope it and let those who have the money pay for the ultimate "Kronos" or at least a small hardware updgrade.

Even the switch to a fairly cheap 4/8 core mobile board and 8gb ram .. upgradeable to 32 with sodimms would be more than 10x as powerfull as the current Kronos2 hardware, and I'm pretty sure Korg has the devs to make it happen if they wanted.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, I’m setting aside money for next year.
Even with the change in management I find it hard to believe that the current CEO would abandon the OASYS concept.
It was successful with the Kronos, and even when the original prototype in the early nineties proved to be too expensive it provided the elements for the Trinity.
It’s tied in with KORG’s image and reputation as being ‘the king of workstations’, so it stands to reason that a next generation will see the light of day.
And yes, in terms of hardware and coding the Kronos is old compared to what’s available today.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
For what it’s worth, I’m setting aside money for next year.
Even with the change in management I find it hard to believe that the current CEO would abandon the OASYS concept.
It was successful with the Kronos, and even when the original prototype in the early nineties proved to be too expensive it provided the elements for the Trinity.
It’s tied in with KORG’s image and reputation as being ‘the king of workstations’, so it stands to reason that a next generation will see the light of day.
And yes, in terms of hardware and coding the Kronos is old compared to what’s available today.

I believe you know about the apparent lack of interest in Kronos by Korg Inc.

I go by facts and 1 year and 4 months of silence.

For me its " What is Korg Inc doing today ". All that history, is well, history.

Current facts and gaps of time are more revealing vs a keyboard from 15 years ago.

If you look at the recent new products by Korg the past year, that also illustrates where Korg management is taking the company

And a new color Kronos is not visionary.

I know many owners place considerable weight on what Korg did 20 yrs ago, 15 yrs ago, 9 yrs ago.

I am not in that crowd.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still very with my Kronos X but I would love to see a hardware upgrade path. Components go obsolete and I would love to see a path to keep my Kronos going long term with updated hardware we could swap into our beloved Kronos box.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I am still very with my Kronos X but I would love to see a hardware upgrade path. Components go obsolete and I would love to see a path to keep my Kronos going long term with updated hardware we could swap into our beloved Kronos box.

make sn effort to participate

this is in our "Top 50 " topic:

10] guarantied supply of existing motherboard to cover potential failure over next 10 years

after you review out list, include what you want from Korg
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:

That is why I don't get Korg isn't interested in developing more for the Kronos when they have such dedicated well known users as eg. Jordan Rudess that still after over 2 decades still use the same Korg hardware as his main setup. I know he is propably also getting payed for it, but anyway.

I can promise you he doesn't get paid. No artist has ever been paid by Korg. Free gear, and/or tour support? A few top people get that, but no one really pays keyboard players to use their gear. I know Korg doesn't for certain, I really doubt any other major company does. And I was in the business for almost 35 years...

Regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: