Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Pa 4x multitracking on logic pro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masoodfarooq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Korg Pa 4x multitracking on logic pro Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to record a track on logic pro with my 4x. And i want all the 16 tracks from the keyboard to show up in logic. is there any way i can do this?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Masood

Welcome to the forums - was great to chat with you today.
As I mentioned, I have mostly focused recently on multitrack audio with Logic (but not with my PA4X)

I am sure someone here will help and I too would be keen to get some help with this.

Take care

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean '' i want all the 16 tracks from the keyboard to show up in logic ?

Do you want to record just a track or you wanna rec in multitrack ?

Depending what you want to do :

-You can export the whole style in to a midi file and import it in DAW.
All tracks that hold information on every element will be shown.

- record multitrack,including right hand and pads .
Can be done in Cubase/Nuendo. It should be done in Studio One or Logic too.

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Masoodfarooq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Korg Pa 4x multitracking on logic pro Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thank you for a response. So what i want to do is play a song like as if playing in a normal gig and recorded it on logic sort of live with the tracks seperated so that i can master them accordingly if that makes sense.

So how do i export a style as a midifile and import into logic?
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case you don't need to export the style,
but to rec in multitrack option.
I had posted somewhere here or on fb
a short clip showing how to
prepare the tracks for that on Nuendo or Cubase.
I assume this can be also done on Logic or any other daw.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still hold that MIDI recordings of entire performances (style and solos) made in the arranger itself and then exported as SMF’s tend to have slightly tighter timing accuracy than going up a MIDI or USB cable and having the computer record that stream...

If your workflow starts with a complete performance and then simply needs light editing and then recording each Part as an audio track (to use higher quality effects and compression, etc.) for later mixing and mastering, doing the initial capture in the arranger is probably the easiest way to go.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa 4x multitracking on logic pro Reply with quote

Masoodfarooq wrote:

So how do i export a style as a midifile and import into logic?

Pa4-X-Exporting-Style
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR, I don’t think this is what the OP is talking about. He wants to record himself playing a song, not edit a style, I believe.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi KF, If you ask me, Cubase is far better onthat,
making styles edit and much more is easier on Cubase, Logic must update that soon, Its great but this litle thing is missin in Logic, So i hope i,m wrong. It shud be the same.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draging the whole recording to the right position later is not a problem i believe.
Of course some Daw still can be synced to midi in notes,Cubase for Atari ST was great for that,don't know why this option doesn't work anymore since then.

On other hand,exporting he style and import it in Daw gives you the tighter timing accuracy,no doubt for that.

Third option that nobody mentioned so far ,is to record in pa4x's sequencer using fast method whatever you want to record using the style,right hand and pads,save it as a midi file,and then import it on cubase.
I don't remember if you will need to quantize or move manually the start point,or if is gonna be an extra empty bar due to internal sequencer,but you can give a try,i think that works too.

Just in realtime recording you can play over and over if you need to,if you need to change just one track or a detail on a track,while will be double and triple if you decide to record that first on the keyboard's sequencer.

alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa 4x multitracking on logic pro Reply with quote

Masoodfarooq wrote:
I am trying to record a track on logic pro with my 4x. And i want all the 16 tracks from the keyboard to show up in logic. is there any way i can do this?

I do not use Logic and I do many assumptions that may be wrong (did not really get what you want to achieve), but generally:

1) Assuming that you finally want to record Pa4x audio separately for each (up to 16) tracks and do your mixing/mastering later.
2) First you need to record your PA4x MIDI for each channel you use. This can be also done with Pa4x internal SEQ, but I prefer record/edit/tweak my MIDI also in DAW. For this
a) Set up new Midi preset in Global->Midi (I am using unused empty preset) where Channels 1...16 are set to all needed internal sources of sound I am using (upper, lower, bass, ACC, drum, perscussion, if using Pads, then these also etc) - you need to configure both Midi In Channel and Midi Out Channel pages the same way and save new Midi preset for your use in Page menu. Doing so your Pa4x is ready to send MIDI as you play and receive recordfed midi and play it.
b) Set up your computer DAW to receive/send midi from each of your channels, record your performance (track monitoring should be off) all MIDI tracks together. This can be played back on Pa4x and should sound exactly as played on Pa4x. Edit and tweak your MIDI as neccessary on compter DAW.
c) Create Audio tracks alongside MIDI channels - each for your MIDI tracks.
d) Play back recorded MIDI channels one by one and record each audio track separately.
e) Mix and master etc.

Sure there are many small details in the process but you figure them out as you go (setting tempo and so on). Also there are some extras (routing harmonizer chord data etc), if you want to record also your voice using Pa4X harmony and effects.
But generally this workflow is OK for me.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa 4x multitracking on logic pro Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Masoodfarooq wrote:

I do not use Logic and I do many assumptions that may be wrong (did not really get what you want to achieve), but generally:

1) Assuming that you finally want to record Pa4x audio separately for each (up to 16) tracks and do your mixing/mastering later.
2) First you need to record your PA4x MIDI for each channel you use. This can be also done with Pa4x internal SEQ, but I prefer record/edit/tweak my MIDI also in DAW. For this
a) Set up new Midi preset in Global->Midi (I am using unused empty preset) where Channels 1...16 are set to all needed internal sources of sound I am using (upper, lower, bass, ACC, drum, perscussion, if using Pads, then these also etc) - you need to configure both Midi In Channel and Midi Out Channel pages the same way and save new Midi preset for your use in Page menu. Doing so your Pa4x is ready to send MIDI as you play and receive recordfed midi and play it.
b) Set up your computer DAW to receive/send midi from each of your channels, record your performance (track monitoring should be off) all MIDI tracks together. This can be played back on Pa4x and should sound exactly as played on Pa4x. Edit and tweak your MIDI as neccessary on compter DAW.
c) Create Audio tracks alongside MIDI channels - each for your MIDI tracks.
d) Play back recorded MIDI channels one by one and record each audio track separately.
e) Mix and master etc.

Sure there are many small details in the process but you figure them out as you go (setting tempo and so on). Also there are some extras (routing harmonizer chord data etc), if you want to record also your voice using Pa4X harmony and effects.
But generally this workflow is OK for me.
Well said.
Me too, this is the way I work with my Pa4X and my DAW with difference that I use Backing Sequence (Quick Record) instead of Sequencer in Pa4X,
and doing editing, mixing, etc... in my DAW.
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't write down the whole process right now ,but if it helps,
if someone knows how to use "input transformer" functions on Cubase/Nuendo,he could easily make all 16tracks write individually midi data/notes/controllers etc while playing on pa4x.

Just try to sync as possible to the metronome while recording,to avoid extreme quantizing later.

It works great,and is the only way of multitrack midi recording real time,
otherwise quick record on pa4's sequencer is your second best way ofdoing it,and edit it later on daw.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korg1 wrote:
Of course some Daw still can be synced to midi in notes,Cubase for Atari ST was great for that,don't know why this option doesn't work anymore since then.

One of the reasons the Atari’s were so tight with their MIDI capture and playback was that they were one of the only (if not the only, iirc) computers to have built in MIDI ports and that the MIDI system to be directly integrated into the OS.

Nowadays all MIDI interfaces piggyback some other I/O system (usb, FireWire etc.) and need drivers and are not directly integrated with the computer’s hardware and OS. The Atari didn’t share the MIDI I/O with anything else (unlike USB or FireWire etc.) and was clocked directly off the CPU, so nothing systemwise ever interrupted the output.

It truly was the golden age of timing accuracy never since equaled. Steinberg tried a system in the early 2000’s that buffered MIDI multitrack output and used an internal clock to output it more accurately (Linear Time Base), but it has since disappeared and was only possible to use with Steinberg software.

But software instruments are sample accurate, so if you are rendering something (EDM, for instance) that you want incredible tightness, it might be worth taking an arranger drum track (for instance) and rendering it using a software drum machine in your DAW instead of playing back the MIDI track into the arranger to record to audio.

But if you MUST use the arranger’s drum kits and want as tight a timing as possible, and also the maximum mixing flexibility, it pays to use your DAW’s Drum Track capabilities to solo each drum or group of drums (cymbals, toms, kick, snare, hi hats etc.) and record each one separately. The less you throw down a MIDI pipeline, the tighter the timing accuracy.
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true,only when using Atari's cubase5 can trigger Cubase start recording when pressing the pa4x's keys....
Too bad my Atari,along with monitor,hard disk and a Roland 606 were stollen 10years ago.

But i believe some other Daws are capable of doing that,set pa4x as master and daw as slave ,and record,otherwise you will need a timepiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: