Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross and Keytar Controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sutekh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Kross and Keytar Controller? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Kross with a Keytar controller? Specifically I'm looking at the Alesis Vortex cause its the cheapest (sorry but the Korg costs $600) Specifically, how easy is it to set up and use via MIDI and also does the wireless USB work with the Kross? Thanks for any advice or intel.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Setting it up should be fairly easy. Get a MIDI cable between the Keytar and the Kross. The keytar will send out its note events then to the Kross to produce the sound.

I'm not sure what you mean by the wireless USB. Concerning the Kross an its USB interface, it can only work in USB device mode, connected to a computer, where the correct drivers are installed on.

You may look for wireless MIDI systems for full movement freedom on your keytar. It consists of 2 boxes that talk to each other using a wireless connection. On of the boxes is connected to your keytar, the other to the Kross. The connection between such a box and the Keytar/Kross is again MIDI cable.

Ciao.
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this: Convert your Kross1 into a keytar. https://youtu.be/I7YHznSAEYY

You'll get 5 octaves of full size keys, hundreds of onboard sounds, with multiple splits, battery powered, under 10lbs, and one of the coolest looking Korg's ever made.

Last edited by six_feet_under on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Alesis Vortex keytar (original version). It is a neat instrument, but kind of a pain to program. It came with a softsynth that I do not use. I use it with my other MIDI keyboards (mainly Korg stuff and my Behringer Deepmind-12). I also have a number of Kross keyboards as well.

Basically you set up the Program/Combi you want to use and then assign the Vortex to play on that channel. It will work fine from there. I am not sure about the acceleromoter on the Alesis controlling things on the Korg, but I am sure you can set up any controller you want to make that part work too. The Vortex has a ribbon controller on it and the Kross can use that info.

With regard to actually modifying a Kross into a keytar, I have seen the video mentioned by another poster. I think it may be a neat idea, but some may find it a bit uncomfy to wield. It actually reminds me of the Korg Poly-800 I had as my first synthesizer. I used to use that thing as a keytar until I got a proper one.

The extra handle on the Vortex makes it easier to play and the octave buttons are placed on the unit to make it relatively easy to switch octaves when needed. I think that it is a better option, as it will allow you to keep the Kross on a stand to be used traditionally for songs that would not require a keytar Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand Musicwithharry, personal preference.

I'll tolerate wearing a 38in wide keyboard just so I can get a full 5 octaves, with splits and good on-board sounds, and not have the midi cable attached. In my bands, I don't play guitar solos, I play keyboard solos, so I need both hands on keys, not ribbon controllers and octave switches.

Also, I put a wireless connector on the audio output, so I am totally un-tethered to my amps, and I can roam all over the stage, and in the audience.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: