Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone opened their Kronos or other Korg KB's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Korg gear, but I've only owned a couple of Korg workstations - the Triton and the Kronos.

To me, I don't think the Kronos 61 is as well engineered mechanically as other keyboards I have owned. That being said, it hasn't failed in nearly 9 years. I also wonder if some of the engineering decisions on the Kronos specifically are down to weight.

The Triton LE I had seemed well engineered though, and on par with other workstations I've owned. All the other Korg products I own are still going strong.

The Korg arrangers are engineered in Italy by a completely different team to their workstations.

I think it's an interesting approach with the power supply. Power supplies are one of the costliest parts to have certified for different markets, so having an OEM power supply that's pre-certified makes sense. I guess it makes it easy to replace if it breaks - the internel switch-mode power supply for my Kronos is rather hard to get ahold of 10 years after release.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get over to " Top 50 Enhancements " topic and add that power supply situation to the list.

Plus anything else that is lacking or questionable on Kronos
longeze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DeltaJockey Nice username! I assume you're a pilot then? Me too - choppers & fixed wing Wink You're living the dream though, it has to be said Smile

To your question, since the PA900 power supply is internal, it doesn't have prongs protruding from it for connection to a wall receptacle. I made no attempt to open it or measure ripple etc to determine anything further about the design, so I can't speak to that, other than to say that it's possible that you are correct about it being a compact switch-mode supply.

I unfastened the 2 retaining straps, and was a little surprised about it's light weight. Given that, along with the fairly substantial current requirement of the internal power amplifier, I would've expected a significantly heavier transformer from an analog DC supply, which all goes to support your assertion of it being a switch mode supply.
rickster1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about power supply failing leads me to ask about my 1st gen Kronos 73, which is currently at a repair shop... the K would be on, I'd be working with it; & suddenly the power goes out, the screen black. After a couple of these, it eventually wouldn't make it thru the boot-up without power failing.

So....DeltaJockey & others here... Is this a power supply problem?
The keyboard is over 8 yrs old, & I've used it a lot.

Thanks for your advice.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone opened their Kronos or other Korg KB's? Reply with quote

longeze wrote:
Has anyone opened their Korg KB's?....

As regards the Kronos 2 generation, I've had to open and work inside mine (a K2 73) several times, one time for replacing one joystick potentiometer and others concerning SSD's.
The first time I've opened it, I've got an impression of cleanliness, precision, reliability and quality. Each wire is clearly clipped, each part is easily identifiable with the technical manual.
Actually, it looks very professionnal. It's my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: