Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Memory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:
B. I'll look into getting either
2) Toshiba or Samsung 250gb SSD somewhere.

1)As for the second RAM still nothing back from Korg Support on that but I think those two would correct my woes.

1)make sure you read the Matin Hines post above for the additional RAM

For my Song backup [ +80], I use standard USB thumb drives, either 16 GB or 32 GB. easily availble on Amazon.

2) I got a 120 GB SSD[Samsung] 5 years ago on Amazon. $55

These are important investments to maximize your Kronos enjoyment.
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:
Backing up to Lacie failed. I mean after about four hours only 2% was formatted so I aborted. I'll look into getting either a Toshiba or Samsung 250gb SSD somewhere. As for the second RAM still nothing back from Korg Support on that but I think those two would correct my woes. Looks like I need some sort of SATA cable and some screws too. Patience Gaston, patience! Thanks for the advice and direction you guys! Very much appreciated.

If you just clone and replace the SSD, you will use the existing cable and screws.
Gaston

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pull the RAM specs off of Mr. Hines post and guidelines. That is very helpful. He specs a 1gb second RAM. I'm not clear on how to clone an SSD but I'm sure it's pretty self explanatory. I assume an additional SSD can be installed as a backup device right within the chassis and then appear as a second drive in the "Save" drop down. It would make good sense in the event of the first SSD crashing.
Gaston

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Gaston wrote:
B. I'll look into getting either
2) Toshiba or Samsung 250gb SSD somewhere.

1)As for the second RAM still nothing back from Korg Support on that but I think those two would correct my woes.

1)make sure you read the Matin Hines post above for the additional RAM

For my Song backup [ +80], I use standard USB thumb drives, either 16 GB or 32 GB. easily availble on Amazon.

2) I got a 120 GB SSD[Samsung] 5 years ago on Amazon. $55

These are important investments to maximize your Kronos enjoyment.

I have been using a 16gb thumb drive to back up a periodic "Last Dump" of all data. But this new issue prevents me from doing and saving more recording work. I'm sure these steps you and tunaman have outlined will get me back to work, thank you guys so much.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:

1) I did pull the RAM specs off of Mr. Hines post and guidelines. That is very helpful. He specs a 1gb second RAM.

I'm not clear on how to clone an SSD but I'm sure it's pretty self explanatory. I assume an additional SSD can be installed as a backup device right within the chassis and then appear as a second drive in the "Save" drop down. It would make good sense in the event of the first SSD crashing.

1) your should buy the 2 GB Ram.
Match the pin type of your existing RAM in your Kronos.
Like a mirror image.

Martin details that RAM type.

2] You can go either way on your next SSD.
Do the clone work if you want to.

Its also straight forward to add a 2nd SSD which is what I did some years ago.

In my K, the original factory SSD is simply my ' boot ' drive.

I keep all my Song work and 3rd party stuff and my 2nd SSD.
IOW, all the heavy data file work is on the 2nd [ larger ] SSD.

Either SSD choice will work out on your K1.
Gaston

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
You likely don’t need a second drive, and it would probably be best just to keep it simple with a single drive. I’ve got two, but the second is merely for redundancy of backups.

You can clone your existing SSD to a larger SSD. Many have gone the 250GB route, myself included, while some have used 500GB drives. If you opt for a 250GB drive you will likely have more than enough disk space for the life of your Kronos, unless you do a ton of sampling or sequencing onboard.

Get a good SSD - I went with Crucial, others I’ve read have used Toshiba or Samsung. It’s not a difficult process, if you’re familiar with computers and have access to one. You can buy a SSK DK100 to do the cloning for you, then you will only need to connect it via USB to expand the partition.

Found the SSK DK100, ordered. Thank you!
Gaston

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have ordered Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT250MX500SSD1(Z), Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400) CL6 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory CT2KIT25664AA800 / CT2CP25664AA800, the SSK Aluminum USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD SATA, Offline Clone Duplicator Function (10TB Support)

All from Amazon

Thanks so much for the support GregC and tunaman. I'll report back once installed and running. 👍
Gaston

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been inside this axe many times. I clean it once a year. Have replaced broken keys, etc. I've got one key in the highest octave that's about 200% louder than all the rest so I'll check that out once inside this time. Might be a piece of glitter or something shorting out. I've even replaced all the rubber and felts. I play this instrument a lot and often very hard at gigs, sometimes my fingers bleed. One time some drunk chic who just had to sing into my mic spilled a glass of red wine into the bottom three octaves. Every minor third the whole way up was 200% louder. But I got in there and cleaned up all the wine and let it dry out. It was fine. The Kronos 88 is one fine instrument. I really, really love this keyboard.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you need immediate access to your whole history of songs and samples, you can move (rather than copy) old projects to with external USB thumb drive, hard drive or DVD.

Unless you have a lot of expansions or samples you regularly need, for most people there shouldn’t be too much need to upgrade the larger SSDs that were included in later models.

You can also transfer data from the Kronos to a PC using a network adaptor. This makes file management much easier Smile
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Gaston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Unless you need immediate access to your whole history of songs and samples, you can move (rather than copy) old projects to with external USB thumb drive, hard drive or DVD.

Unless you have a lot of expansions or samples you regularly need, for most people there shouldn’t be too much need to upgrade the larger SSDs that were included in later models.

You can also transfer data from the Kronos to a PC using a network adaptor. This makes file management much easier Smile

This is very useful and I'd like to practice this knowledge set. At first when I maxed out I tried to free up space by deleting old, unnecessary midi songs. I quickly learned that was pretty much a very stupid idea because I found myself deleting projects that I really shouldn't have deleted. Really great stuff that I'd not yet found the right use for commercially or artistically. It seems I've done this before using thumb drives, saving total data dumps in the past and transferring them to my macbook that way. I'd gotten out of that practice for reasons unknown except to say that I backup those data dumps to two separate thumb drives regularly. This I suddenly and now realize does nothing to back up the library of songs I've compiled over a decade. Kronos is still the sole resident holder of all the data. In other words, saving "all" will only save the current song file, not all in the library. The "network adapter" that you speak of is the cable that has a USB on one end and a tapered square plug at the other end? My most immediate need is to continue recording songs that use audio. I use a lot of audio live in solo and duo performances. I have no use for audio in trio or quartet. I'm immediately interested in copying and backing up the audio folder (and song folder) that I regularly use in my home rehearsal and gig which consists of approximately seventy Kronos songs. I can't built upon that until I either free up some space or install/backup to a second SSD and/or expand RAM and/or offload/backup to my macbook. If I can successfully offload to my macbook as you suggest I can be back to work as soon as that's complete. Thank you for sharing this suggestion SeedyLee.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to using the Save All function, you should regularly copy the directories and files to the USB memory stick or other external medium.

The Copy function is exposed via the Utility page under Disk, in the context menu, and you can use the Multiple Select checkbox to select all of the directories and files in the root and then copy them to the other location when prompted.

If you have a copy of the Factory directory already stored offline, you can omit that directory to save time and space (unless you’ve intentionally made changes to the content, of course).
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a used Kronos on Ebay that says it has 1TB of storage. How does one get that?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Korg-Kronos-2-61-key-Music-Production-Workstation-1TB-Onboard-Storage/133501261097?epid=23010161858&hash=item1f154b9529:g:9v4AAOSwwFZfQxhF
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a 1TB SSD, or two 500GB SSD drives, and follow the cloning process. I believe I’ve seen someone post that they were able to successfully use a 1TB drive... I opted to use two 250GB drives myself, as I didn’t think I’d need that much storage.
Gaston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Buy a 1TB SSD, or two 500GB SSD drives, and follow the cloning process. I believe I’ve seen someone post that they were able to successfully use a 1TB drive... I opted to use two 250GB drives myself, as I didn’t think I’d need that much storage.

Well here's where I'm at. Installed the additional RAM and it's working, indicated 3GB total as expected. I thought I'd cloned the new SSD "Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT250MX500SSD1(Z)" using the SSK k100. It appeared to be complete. Reinstalled both SSDs, booted up no problem. But when I try to open the new SSD it recognizes it but says that it's "UNFORMATTED". I think I'm close but no dice. Did miss a step?
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities - 1. You connected the wrong drive as the primary; 2. You had the drives reversed in the SSK and cloned the bare drive onto the original drive. Hopefully it is the former - try reversing the SATA cables on the motherboard.

One other thought - did you expand the partition? If so, perhaps something went awry in the process?

If you have a computer, connect the enclosure to it via USB and see if you can read the drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: