Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Memory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought to help troubleshoot... try only connecting the single SSD first until you get it to recognize and boot.
Gaston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's booting fine from the original HDD. I moved the original HDD to the SATA 0 input and assigned the new Crucial SSD to the Sata 1 input. When I'm in DISK it reads the data from the original HDD no problem, all the data is still there. The new SSD isn't formatted. I'm assuming I need to format the New Crucial SSD, then copy all the directories/songs PCG, KSC and from the original HDD to the new SSD? Or do I have to remove both SSDs again and do it via SSk K100?
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:
Well it's booting fine from the original HDD.

Whew... that's good. I need to go dig up my notes from my upgrade - I'm going to do it again myself for a new (used) K2 73 I just bought, so it will be good to document the process here.
Gaston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Gaston wrote:
Well it's booting fine from the original HDD.

Whew... that's good. I need to go dig up my notes from my upgrade - I'm going to do it again myself for a new (used) K2 73 I just bought, so it will be good to document the process here.

Yeah, I'll try to copy/paste all the old files from the original using the "multiple" box to the new drive later today and report back how that goes. I really don't want to go back inside and remove both drives again. It's too cumbersome. Besides I don't want to risk dropping one of those screws down into the machine (again)! I did last time but was able to get it out by tipping the entire chassis. It fell to the far end. Retrieved it, screwed it in. Crisis averted! 👍
Gaston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just formatted the new SSD and copied all my files from the original HDD to it by using the "multiple select" in disk utility. Works like a charm! Thank you everyone for your attention. I did get an email from Korg and will follow up with them. Have a really great day!
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! To be clear, your original drive is still the boot drive, and the new drive is the secondary drive?

If that is the case, you should be able to get by as long as you modify your workflows to write out backup, sampling and sequencing data to a directory on the second drive.
Gaston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Good news! To be clear, your original drive is still the boot drive, and the new drive is the secondary drive?

If that is the case, you should be able to get by as long as you modify your workflows to write out backup, sampling and sequencing data to a directory on the second drive.

Yes I'm booting from the original drive which I moved from Input SATA 1 input to SATA 0 input. I had to buy a longer SATA cable (30"), maybe a little long but hey for $5 who cares right? I went with the 250GB Crucial SSD. I had to buy some small metric screws to hold the drive in place in the chassis. I bought four of them size 3m x 5m, Phillips. I did use lock washers as well. It makes no sense to me to try to clone the original drive with the SSK K100. Because the new drive must be formatted first and that can only be done after it's installed in the Kronos anyway. I'll probably just explore using my macbook to back up all my files via USB anyway. And yes the boot drive (factory) will just be that from now on with the larger new Crucial SSD as the target drive for all my saved work from now on. I suppose I could delete the work files and directories from the original drive but I fail to see the advantage in it now. Upgrading the RAM gives me some wiggle room to proceed even if it's just 1GB of more memory. I think rather than record audio in 24bit I'll switch to 16bit from now on too. I'm going to write Korg later today and thank them for the support as well. Thanks to everyone on these forums for all the assistance. I would not have had a clue how to continue without it.

Looking ahead, Kronos is such an awesome keyboard, all things considered. I surely hope the the next generation of workstation Korg develops will certain include transportability of all existing data in our Kronos machines. Also, the screen is difficult for me to read when performing outdoors against the reflection of the sky. I spend so much time seated in front of Kronos I find myself bent over a lot working screen parameters and sequencer features. My posture has always been problematic despite my mother's warnings at the age of five. But those are very minuscule issues that pertain mostly to just me. I've really grown fond of some of the software instruments Apple is coming out with lately. Some of the grands, the Hammonds, the Leslies and the electric pianos are blistering great. But as much as I love them I just can't justify dragging around a laptop just to have those sounds live. If there's ever a way to integrate them on board in the next generation, coupled with expanded memory. I'd buy it tomorrow. Just saying...
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:
It makes no sense to me to try to clone the original drive with the SSK K100. Because the new drive must be formatted first and that can only be done after it's installed in the Kronos anyway.

Just one point of clarification - the reason I advocate using the SSK is due to the one-button clone feature built in... it doesn't even need to be connected to a computer. Insert the source and target drives in the respective bays and push the button - no formatting required.

Regardless, you have a plan and have solved your issues, so that is the best outcome possible. Enjoy!
tunaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:
Well it's booting fine from the original HDD. I moved the original HDD to the SATA 0 input and assigned the new Crucial SSD to the Sata 1 input. When I'm in DISK it reads the data from the original HDD no problem, all the data is still there. The new SSD isn't formatted. I'm assuming I need to format the New Crucial SSD, then copy all the directories/songs PCG, KSC and from the original HDD to the new SSD? Or do I have to remove both SSDs again and do it via SSk K100?

I just ran across another thread while putting together my upgrade details:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118683&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=clone

KK ran into this issue and posted this information:

Quote:
5) If you connect two bootable SSDs on the Kronos ports (for example a cloned one and the original as is), the second one is considered "unformatted" by the Kronos. I suppose this is to avoid conflicts or because it can't read two multi-partitioned disks. But I let mine plugged this way, so if the first fails, the second will start my unit right away (worse-case scenario).
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, also my fourth point listed in that topic is to me a good advantage with the Samsung EDO over the original Kronos SSD :

Quote:
4) On my unit, the 250 GB Samsung EDO SSD boots 17 seconds faster than the original SSD. Note that I use the entire memory available (before = 2:33, now = 2:16).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: