Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital Audio connection Yamaha Montage <-> Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Digital Audio connection Yamaha Montage <-> Kronos Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to send the Montage audio output to the Kronos inputs in order to use the Kronos audio sequencer and also for sampling. I want it to be on digital flaw of course!
The Montage outputs digital audio through the USB B output and the Kronos has two types of digital inputs: USB B and Spdif (optical).
So I'm looking for a USB B cable on both sides but couldn't find that.

Have you ever done this type of operation? If so, how did you connect the two synths. (I gave the example with the Montage and the Kronos, but it could be other config).

Thank you
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liviou,

I'm not sure you can do that. Though it may be technically possible to go audio digital only between them physically, I don't think the onboard software gives that functionality. I've been playing around with more exotic routings of audio on the Kornos, and have asked a question on the forum, for which I had zero replies.

The only way I think may be possible, is to connect both instruments via a DAW, and see if you can enable both USB audio at the same time. I know on the Mac you can create an aggregate audio device from 2 sources in the Audio/MIDI setup panel, not sure on Windows.

I wish the Kronos had multichannel USB like the Montage, I have found it a very useful function when routing instruments and effects around. The Kronos supports the multichannel outputs, but not via USB..pity.

Not sure if my input will help, perhaps someone else may have had more experience, but if my enquiries are anything to go by, we are in the fringe realm here Smile

Chris
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will try what you suggest.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what DeltaJockey has suggested by going via a daw,it can work with an imac....not sure about windows.
Careful settings are needed and using Soundflower or a similar app may be required to seperate input/output flows.

However,using a line out audio source can also work well with the Kronos,its adc conversion is very good and worth considering.
Although this method doesn't initially maintain audio in the digital domain,the audible differences can be marginal.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
I agree with what DeltaJockey has suggested by going via a daw,it can work with an imac....not sure about windows.
Careful settings are needed and using Soundflower or a similar app may be required to seperate input/output flows.

However,using a line out audio source can also work well with the Kronos,its adc conversion is very good and worth considering.
Although this method doesn't initially maintain audio in the digital domain,the audible differences can be marginal.

Yes, I do agree. The Montage and the Kronos AD/DA converters are excellent.
My question came from a technical interest.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Fred, sorry I can't help on your audio questions.

Slight hijack of your topic.

I removed the UR44 completely from my audio chain

Routed Kronos audio out to MODX audio in.

I like using either Kronos or MODX as a mixer.

Sweet. Sounds crystal clear

I like using either Kronos or MODX as a mixer.

Less cables ! Less stuff .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: