Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help. Repeating synth note: cannot figure it out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilroy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Help. Repeating synth note: cannot figure it out Reply with quote

All,

Something that has stymied me on the kronos thus far (new to it) is that I can't seem to create a prog that has a simple repeating note (for example a synth bass). By that I mean I hold down a key and it repeats the sound and note of the key (in tempo) in 1/4s, 16ths, whatever until I let it go. I tried to use the step sequencer following Narf's step sequencer tutorial (which was great) but that didn't work because I don't want to change the pitch. Can anybody tell me a simple way to do this or point me to a korg preset that does it that I can repurpose. Again, I just want a prog where I hold down the note and it repeats the note rhythmically until I let go. A repeating synth bass would be the example.

Thanks in advance for your help.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very reasonable request

has to be a GE/Karma [ ARP] that does this.

Pick your program , see the KArma tab and look thru the GE categories.

When you find it, set your tempo. Latch will free up your hand/finger
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you select GE 000 Arp Model 1, and set the Note Range Slider on the KARMA GE Page to 0, it will simply repeat the same note over and over. You can choose different rhythms with the Rhythm Pattern Slider.

Secondly, if you want the step sequencer to repeat the same note over and over, I believe it's possible to set all the steps to the same pitch, although I don't use the Step Sequencer.

Kilroy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen and Greg. You guys are great. I am going to try the karma solution. In the meantime, synth god Dan Stesco showed me a couple ways to do this so I will share here. This is probably rudimentary to most of you, but revelatory to me.

He does it in a way that doesn't play notes repeatedly but rather slams down the filter repeatedly using the LFO, which produces a very cool effect, just like I wanted. You do this by going to the filter tab of your EXi and assigning the modulation to LFO4 (in my case) and setting the intensity to +24 (or whatever works for you). Then go to the appropriate LFO tab and down at the bottom you click the Midi/Tempo Sync checkbox and set the note value.

Another way he showed me, if you want the sound to stay bright is to do the same thing only with the amp instead of the filter.

I was able to cheat a little bit and start with one of the sounds from him Vangelis pack, which is awesome by the way. I am finding many uses for his progs outside of vangelis.

Thanks again guys and thanks much Dan!
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:
Dan Stesco showed me a couple ways to do this so I will share here. This is probably rudimentary to most of you, but revelatory to me.

He does it in a way that doesn't play notes repeatedly but rather slams down the filter repeatedly using the LFO, which produces a very cool effect, just like I wanted.

Very similar to what I used to do with analog synths in the olden days before arpeggiators and sequencers were commonplace. I used that sort of thing for covering the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and then later to try to replicate the Giorgio Moroder "chugga-chugga-chugga" sequenced synths on those early disco hit records from Madonna, Donna Summer, et. al.
Kilroy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Me too! I remember doing it on my OB-8 to get the EVH Why can't this be Love sound. I just couldn't figure out how to do it on the Kronos.

I used to have the Triton Extreme interface (mostly) mastered, and I thought it would be a relatively painless transition to the Kronos, but it hasn't been. I think I've forgotten a lot. But its slowly coming back to me...

Xenophile wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Dan Stesco showed me a couple ways to do this so I will share here. This is probably rudimentary to most of you, but revelatory to me.

He does it in a way that doesn't play notes repeatedly but rather slams down the filter repeatedly using the LFO, which produces a very cool effect, just like I wanted.

Very similar to what I used to do with analog synths in the olden days before arpeggiators and sequencers were commonplace. I used that sort of thing for covering the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and then later to try to replicate the Giorgio Moroder "chugga-chugga-chugga" sequenced synths on those early disco hit records from Madonna, Donna Summer, et. al.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: