Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lo-fi sound on Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilroy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Lo-fi sound on Kronos? Reply with quote

I am trying to do a lo-fi piano sound and can't seem to get it. I have looked at the effects and I can get some overdrive with the tube sim, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a bit reduction or almost a bad compression sound. Any thoughts/ideas appreciated. Cheers!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lo-fi sound on Kronos? Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:
I am trying to do a lo-fi piano sound and can't seem to get it. I have looked at the effects and I can get some overdrive with the tube sim, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a bit reduction or almost a bad compression sound. Any thoughts/ideas appreciated. Cheers!

You can start with good upright piano sound (you can find some good ones in Kapro Concert Grands series : https://shop.korg.com/kronosSoundLibraries) and then use EQ to get the right response.
You can chain 3 7 bands graphic EQ and get 21 bands graphic EQ. You will get the exact sound you are looking for.

012: Stereo Graphic 7EQ
P. 917 : "You can configure a 21-Band Graphic EQ ranging from 80Hz to 8kHz if you route three Graphic 7Band EQ effects in series, with a setting of 7:Low, 9:Mid, and 11:High for each EQ."
Kilroy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw in the Op Manual an effect called "Stereo Decimator." I will try that. It looks like what I want to do.

Thanks Liviou. Can I assume there are no upright pianos in the Kronos ROM?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:
I just saw in the Op Manual an effect called "Stereo Decimator." I will try that. It looks like what I want to do.

There is one Upright Piano in Exs4 Vintage Keyboard expanson bank,
Program G021
Stw-2 Upright Piano
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a low fi AP/upright slightly detuned ?

It's easy to layer two AP's and slightly detune one in a combi.
Kilroy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liviou. I searched for "upright" in the search function last night with no results. I will search again. Hopefully I didn't delete it somewhere along the way.

Greg, I thought about that as well, that way you can control the amount of detune.
Kilroy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the exs4 be something that was was preloaded on my synth? When I went and looked at the factory files there was I-G or U-G banks in the PCGs. I don't know where else to look for it on the hard drive.

Liviou2004 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Program G021
Stw-2 Upright Piano
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lo-fi sound on Kronos? Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:
I am trying to do a lo-fi piano sound and can't seem to get it.

Have you already tried effect 23: Stereo Analog Record?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:
Would the exs4 be something that was was preloaded on my synth? When I went and looked at the factory files there was I-G or U-G banks in the PCGs. I don't know where else to look for it on the hard drive.

Liviou2004 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Program G021
Stw-2 Upright Piano

This Library, EXs 4 is Vintage Keyboard and is part of Expansion Libraries folder on the SSD. It isn't preinstalled so you have to do an install. In this folder, you will find other expansion librairies, like EXs3 : Brass and others.

You can see all the available expansion librairies on Voice Name List pdf file, available on Korg website. (from page 266).
Kilroy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Program G021
Stw-2 Upright Piano
Kilroy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOund it! It was in an extras folder. Thanks for the tip. I am going to try to swap it out on one of my combis and see how it sounds. Also, there was a lo-fi piano right next to it so I need to check that out as well.

Kilroy wrote:

Liviou2004 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Program G021
Stw-2 Upright Piano
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:
FOund it! It was in an extras folder. Thanks for the tip. I am going to try to swap it out on one of my combis and see how it sounds. Also, there was a lo-fi piano right next to it so I need to check that out as well.

Kilroy wrote:

Liviou2004 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Program G021
Stw-2 Upright Piano

Great !
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilroy wrote:

In case you’re not aware, you can load them individually from within the PCG, and redirect them to an alternate open slot (if you have any).
Kilroy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware of that. Thank you for your comment though. I knew eventually I was going to load the whole (half) Exs4 bank to audition all of them. I have only had this kronos for a few months and I have been programming combis and programs all over the place, and I didn't know the location of any of them without searching, which wasn't really sustainable. Yesterday I loaded up my PCG in PCGtools and spent about four hours cutting and pasting and clearing out a couple banks so I could have all my custom HD-1s, EXis, and combis in single banks. So now I am good. I ended up loading about 12 of the EXS4 sounds. The lo-fi piano was great but I had to lose the loud vinyl and clicking sounds to make it useful.

Anyway, it's all a learning process for me.I've been using Korgs since I bought a brand new Poly-61--my first synth--when I was 14 or so. But I forgot a lot while I focused on soft synths the last few years, so I'm just stumbling my way through some of the basics right now.

tunaman wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

In case you’re not aware, you can load them individually from within the PCG, and redirect them to an alternate open slot (if you have any).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: