Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create sub-bass with Karma?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Create sub-bass with Karma? Reply with quote

Another thread...Thanks for helping:

Am trying to setup Karma so that when I play a chord with the left hand an additional sub-base note is produced, the root note.  It doesn't need to be rhythmic, just sounding while I hold the keys. 

I have been fiddling round with the settings of 1044 droner but am sure there must be a RTC model that comes closer to it? 

And it should stay within a certain key range, the sound of this sub-base note, like C1 to C2.

I did read the OP manual/parameter guide but I just don't get the results am looking for. 

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the synth bass sub category, shiould be several with included factory FX

I recall using Dark Bass program for deep bass.

in Program mode , quick split feature will display your your split points/key range per instrument

Using Combi mode will also get you there
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear - am using a pad sound (program) only, not a split. Am playing a chord around C4 range, and want to add a bass note from the same sound like 2 octaves lower. And then within this lower octave-range.

I want to do this so as to have a pad sound, plus a low bass (which one usually plays with the left hand, thumb and small finger) and the keep the right hand free for the melody.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OIC, i think, the Sub bass in your title took me else where

I recommend working in Combi mode

Sounds like you need a Karma GE to handle the bass note work

If so, finding that GE and mapping it to a key range, lets say using module 1 should get you there.

Stephen can be more precise.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, when you play a chord you want a bass sound to play the lowest note always?

There's an easier way.

For example, take any mono bass program such as Program ID066 Distortion Head.

On Program Basic > set Voice Assign: Priority to Low.

That’s it. No matter how many notes you play, it will always play the lowest note you are holding.

Now save that program and put it in a combi.

Whenever you play a chord, the lowest note will be played by the bass program.

Does that do what you want?

BlackForest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen, I was more thinking of

- a program, not a combi
- a pad sound, and with the same sound add the base-note of a chord
- so no separate bass-guitar etc sound but within the same program/sound

Just as if I had a third arm/hand to hold the bass tones about 2 octaves lower than the chord.

tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip Stephen - May not meet the OP’s objective, but I can use that idea for some of my voices in the future. Thanks!
BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while but I still haven't managed to get this going.

It should be when I play a chord in any inversion (?) and karma always plays/adds automatically the root bass note 1 or 2 octaves lower, within the same sound (not a separate program/sound).

CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:

It should be when I play a chord in any inversion (?) and karma always plays/adds automatically the root bass note 1 or 2 octaves lower, within the same sound (not a separate program/sound).

Ah I see the problem. First turn KARMA on then go to the KARMA tab.

In GE Setup/Key Zones check the Thru In Zone box. That allows your chords to come through. Go ahead and use GE 0: Arp Model 01 Up/Dn for this.

In MIDI Filter CC Offset uncheck the CC-A box. That disables the panning effect built into this particular GE.

In Control put Transpose down -12 or -24 depending if you want one or two octaves. You can even assign this to a switch if you like but I'm not going to explain that process here.

Change Clock Advance Mode to Dyn. This will disable the clock from enabling events, in other words it stops the arpeggiation.

Make sure Chord Trigger Mode is on 1st. This will allow the first note of the arp to play. That note is the transposed bottom portion of your chord. Though we will need to adjust some RTC parameters before that takes place.

Put Velocity Sense Bottom on 1. This will make it so the transposed note adopts the same velocity as the chord you play.

In GE RTP Scenes go to number 11 and change the Note Series: Wrap Bottom value from +36 to 0. This disables wrapping of low generated notes to higher values.

Now jump over to the KARMA GE tab. You can also access the same screen from the Control Surface menu, doesn't matter.

Change your tempo to 40, this will elongate the rhythm sustain values of the generated notes. Also move slider 2 Rhythm Pattern all the way up. Slider 3 Duration Control should also be all the way up. All these parameters will sustain the generated note.

Velocity accents should be all the way up, you don't need KARMA accenting the velocity of the generated low note.

Put slider 5 Note Range at 0. In the off chance that you actually hold a note long enough to go to the next note in the Series, this will make it so KARMA just triggers the same low note. Also flip Switch 1 to Force Mono. That means KARMA can only generate one note at a time.

I believe that's it.

KARMA will not be perfect. Sometimes it might generate a transposed note from the middle of your chord. This actually has more to do with your playing than with KARMA. There might be a way around this but I'm not sure at this moment. You could build a custom GE to get around that problem I'm sure. Besides, ocasionally playing a random transposed note from your chord ads flavor to the performance. KARMA is not meant to be static.

Good luck.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
BlackForest wrote:

Ah I see the problem. .....

Awesome, thank you Charles, you're the man!
I'll try this later on - still another 2h at work here in Germany...

BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it does work indeed! Excellent.
I found out one also has to enable "Root Position" in tab "Control", that's working 100% now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: