Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is essentially the same 20-year-old software and data architecture and design. Same workflow issues persist relegated to the user to figure out how to manage their keyboard configuration and dependencies across programs, combis, arpeggiators, drum kits, samples, etc. Frequent "Save All" is presumably still the answer.

The directive to simplify the user interface seems to have been interpreted literally as removing the *physical* number of buttons, sliders, and control surfaces. The focus should have been on simplifying and streamlining the *logical* user interface and workflow. Moving the same user interactions from physical buttons and sliders to the touchscreen isn't an improvement, it's just a change.

On the plus side, the OS will be familiar to long-time Korg workstation users with little to no learning curve. By the same token, the negative aspects will also be familiar to long-time Korg workstation users. It's unfortunate and frankly bewildering that simple "low-hanging fruit" changes requested for *decades* haven't been implemented. E.g. RPPR shutdown notes are still fixed as all notes C2 and below and are not configurable.

However, a feature I do like is the 4 scenes, each configurable with its own arp and drum track in program, combi, or sequencer mode. Simple, straightforward, and useful. But that is still far, far behind compared to the MODX Rhythm Pattern function (accessed via a dedicated button) where from a single screen you can audition a variety drum kits and 8 drum patterns from each kit while playing another part.

IMO the selling point of the Nautilus and what will potentially draw customers to consider buying will be the quality of the sounds. It will not be because of its functions, architecture, or interface.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:05 am; edited 8 times in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the email and thought "Oh s**t I can't afford this" then went to the Korg site and realised I didn't need to Smile
xp50player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos For Dummies

I would, however, partake in the new content, if offered for the Kronos. I doubt it will be though, due to the parameter differences.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price I thought they’d include Karma
rbox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
As I posted in the Kronos forum: this is massively underwhelming!It is nothing more than one further of the recent years long Kronos repackaging efforts (from new colours to the Grandstage) by the actual Korg management, without any remarkable overall concept update.

It offers only two slight OS-improvements:
- one slightly updated engine
- a slightly updated sequencer, not really up to date, but with somewhat better overview and editing.

But the lower price comes with some massive downgrades from the Kronos level:
- a sad joke of a completely insufficient controller interface for live play (and even unnerving in the home studio), still with an outdated capacitative display.
That means among others:
- no vector joystick
- no sliders for B3 play
- no alphanumeric field
- even some of the most basic things require touchscreen use with menu diving.
On top of all that:
- no aftertouch
- a poor man's arpeggiator instead of KARMA
That's no workstation any longer, but some stagepiano with more sounds.

Else it seems to be the same 10 year old hardware concept with 2Gb RAM limit, with a bit more than 700Mb streaming headers left for sampling libraries, like in the Kronos. This all seems to indicate, that we are still facing some old (Intel Atom?) CPU with a 32bit OS. As somone wrote, his cheap Chinese 200$ pad offers a much faster and better processor than that.

I begin to ask myself not only, when the actual Korg management has begun to work on a Kronos successor concept, but rather, if they have begun doing that at all up to now? Maybe we could wait another 5-10 years for anything worth calling a Kronos successor? In the meantime the world would go on and leave them completely behind.

Did you see in the Video how bad responsive the Touchview Display in the Korg Nautilus is? This is for me a K.O Criteria for an Instrument.
Korg uses an outdated Display Tech compare to Rolands new Fantom , where the Display is very userfriendly and responsive like an Iphone Display. 15 Years after the Korg Oasys i see no progress and any development in their Workstation Concept. The awful Sequencer , i dont understand why they cannot updatet it? Because the old Korg M3 has a piano roll Editor. I am quite disappointed with how Korg treats their workstations and has not developed any further. Maybe Nautilus is an Exit Strategy....?
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbox wrote:

Did you see in the Video how bad responsive the Touchview Display in the Korg Nautilus is? This is for me a K.O Criteria for an Instrument.

I did see that. The example I saw was changing mix volume by moving the touchscreen sliders up and down. The values were jumping about 4-6 steps each time. That would create noticeably abrupt volume changes. To get better precision you would need to select the slider or parameter in the touchscreen and then use the value knob to adjust the value. Then use the left and right buttons below the knob for +1/-1 adjustments.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpoodoo wrote:
rbox wrote:

I did see that. The example I saw was changing mix volume by moving the touchscreen sliders up and down. The values were jumping about 4-6 steps each time. That would create noticeably abrupt volume changes. To get better precision you would need to select the slider or parameter in the touchscreen and then use the value knob to adjust the value. Then use the left and right buttons below the knob for +1/-1 adjustments.

Yep, horribly disappointing for the sake of a few dollars difference in parts. Resistive touch screens do have some advantages, namely being a little more robust. But this isn't an application that requires that degree of robustness. The extra responsiveness would have been a better bet - or at least a value slider (a $1.00 part).

It's a really strange move from Korg. It feels like they've phoned this one in a little bit. I'm still hopeful that a genuine Kronos successor is on the horizon, and the strange pricing is a preemptive move before the Kronos is discontinued.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
bpoodoo wrote:
rbox wrote:

Yep, horribly disappointing for the sake of a few dollars difference in parts. Resistive touch screens do have some advantages, namely being a little more robust. But this isn't an application that requires that degree of robustness. The extra responsiveness would have been a better bet - or at least a value slider (a $1.00 part).

It's a really strange move from Korg. It feels like they've phoned this one in a little bit. I'm still hopeful that a genuine Kronos successor is on the horizon, and the strange pricing is a preemptive move before the Kronos is discontinued.

Agreed. I use the value slider and up/down buttons on the left of the touchscreen on my Triton all the time. IDK it's almost like the physical interface was intentionally hamstrung on the Nautilus, perhaps to create market distinction between it and the Kronos? If you're a professional musician who performs live, you're going to want the extra faders, buttons, and controllers on the Kronos that the "Naughtilus" doesn't have.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody figure how much below 0 degree celsius, freezing temperature, that mobile phone withstand?

Is Kronos having that kind of display?

Touring equipment must stand very low temperatures being in a tour bus etc.

Could this be a reason for choice of technology?
Display chosen for Nautilus can take lower freezing temperatures maybe.

You unpack tour bus, and find the display is dead on your Nautilus or something - how nice is that.

I once without thinking put a thermometer with lcd display in freezer to see what temperature was - what do you think happend?

Most stuff we use is for 0 Celsius and up as working temperatures.
Wink
hans1966

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the new Nautilus is a combination between Krome and Kronos. this is Korg's idea, so the end user can get the best of both models in one package. just my thoughts

I choose the Peace of God!
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans1966, I can't agree with that.

I don't have a Kronos, but I do have a Krome, and I'm pretty sure that they got some of the worst of both sides in there.

Some of the things from both sides that they left out:

* no piano roll (Krome)
* no organ-type fader bank (Kronos)
* no Karma (Kronos)
* no aftertouch (Kronos)
* no mid/low-range pricing (Krome)
* no data-entry keys (Krome)

OK, so it has nine engines (nice), sampling and resampling (nice), USB host mode (nice) and some effects power along the lines of the Kronos.

If I were the product manager, I'd refer to those features as table stakes, given the current state of the market. That's the minimum you need to be credible, to get people's attention at all. Where's the compelling new function? If not, where's the compelling new featureset?

For the same price as an 88 Key Nautilus I can get credible competitors from a range of market participants, that have been out for a while.

I'm more excited by the SQ64 than by the Nautilus, and I already have a performance sequencer that I love.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to empty my mind from all I know what is Kronos and let go to make room to feel and embrace what is Nautilus like a fresh leaf. kinda feel out my two cents about this.

So I've listened to some of the preset currently demoed, Seen the new way of performance building or song building how you call it. Some of the new sounds being played for now. The functionality of the control surface display , knobs navigation. The workflow of scene.

To some, this could be seen as a miss without what the Flagship Kronos has. But as it has all of Kronos nine engine sounds and a restricted control surface its build to be an interesting way of using scene and combi mode using everything else big what Kronos has faster intuitive.

One thing what I always do with any new synth I try to get my way around how to make sounds and that not an easy thing so I try to recreate songs like "Oxygen" just to know my way around. I don't own a Kronos but I've dabbled with it and seen lots of sound creation tutorials sums it up its massive and truly a flagship even in a year I wouldn't be abble to do what I have in mind a proffesionel would but not me.

Nautilus to me in my own oppinion I've seen people dabble with the Kronos in way's just for the great sounds and what not The Nautilus can fills lots of those inspiring gaps and quick performance build. I wanted the Kronos for the full expirience but man I don't know anymore.

If I went with the Nautilus I would have all the sounds the Kronos has but also another performance workstations synths akin to what the Montage, I already figure I'm into performance/workstation keyboards. I hope to learn more about this off all of you here.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the message first dropped into my inbox yesterday announcing the Nautilus, I assumed that the Nautilus would be at the MODX price point as a cut down sibling to the Kronos to compete with the MODX. So I was quite shocked when I saw the price last night. I can't work it out.

It is not a MODX competitor. It is not a full Kronos replacement either as it loses so much in terms of the control surface, aftertouch and Karma.

I can only think that either Korg have decided few people want the extra features of the Kronos and it is is the new Kronos at a slightly lower price point, or it is a sub Kronos filling out the mid-range £2K price point (Krome for the < £1K?) and there is a new, more powerful flag ship in the wings at a higher price point as the Kronos replacement.

On the plus side, it means that my six year old Kronos X 61 is still top of the Korg pile (for now), and the GAS did not strike. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
W

On the plus side, it means that my six year old Kronos X 61 is still top of the Korg pile (for now), and the GAS did not strike. Smile

c'mon Derek, you know you have to buy it Wink
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:
W

c'mon Derek, you know you have to buy it Wink

Let me think.....

Get rid of a perfectly good Kronos. Lose the control surface. Lose aftertouch, lose Karma. Gain a dark mode GUI.

Nope. Wink

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: