Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
leonh wrote:
If I want flagship workstation I still prefer Kronos for 250£ more why I or anyone would for the sake of small saving get a poorer version of Kronos ( with the same internals it seems ) is beyond me that is unless the stop production of Kronos and then we have no choice.

"Poorer version of Kronos"? Isn't that part of the problem? Is it really a 'poorer' version, or is it a different version that takes a lot of things from their current flagship?

It has a lot from the Kronos but it does not make it a poorer version in the least. It also features some things that Kronos does NOT have.

I own the PA700 and it has a lot in common with the flagship PA4x, and I can load styles from the PA4X onto my PA700. I have never once considered my PA700 a poorer version of the PA4X, even though it shares much in common and lacks a lot as well. The Nautilus would be no different. If ANY keyboard would considered a 'poorer' version of the Kronos, would it not be the Krome?

In my opinion, your comment, frankly, is part of the problem.

Grace,
Harry

No offence pa 700 is poorer version of pa4x even pa900 or 1000 not bad but that how it is now anyone's who got Kronos knows that Nautilus is lite version of Kronos which is fine problem is price you get a Kronos 2 for 250 £ more would you buy your PA700 instead of PA 4x if difference was 250 £ ?

Again, poorer version? I think that we have a language barrier here, because the PA700 is not a poorer version either. It is a different version, just as the Nautilus is from the Kronos (even though they may share many resources).

There are going to be many people who like the Nautilus. It is not a Kronos Lite. I have never heard Korg say that yet in their videos although they do compare many of the features and sounds with the Kronos.

It is NOT a poorer version. It is a different version with a good feature set and while I think that price is a bit too high by a few hundred US dollars, it is still a good buy for those who want one.

I like that Korg have different tiers of instruments (with their corresponding pricing). That way, people can choose what they like. In my opinion, Korg have been a little lacking in the mid/high-mid department between the Kross and the Kronos. The Nautilus helps to close that gap. I think that the Krome is the 'odd duck' of the lineup due to its lack of features compared to the Kronos (and even the Kross). Sure, it has 4Gb of sounds in it, but lacks so much more then what I would expect a mid-range board to have. It is still a nice instrument though, just not one that I would consider.

We will agree to disagree on this, I guess Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC

Last edited by Musicwithharry on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KorgPlayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
leonh wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
leonh wrote:
If I want flagship workstation I still prefer Kronos for 250£ more why I or anyone would for the sake of small saving get a poorer version of Kronos ( with the same internals it seems ) is beyond me that is unless the stop production of Kronos and then we have no choice.

"Poorer version of Kronos"? Isn't that part of the problem? Is it really a 'poorer' version, or is it a different version that takes a lot of things from their current flagship?

It has a lot from the Kronos but it does not make it a poorer version in the least. It also features some things that Kronos does NOT have.

I own the PA700 and it has a lot in common with the flagship PA4x, and I can load styles from the PA4X onto my PA700. I have never once considered my PA700 a poorer version of the PA4X, even though it shares much in common and lacks a lot as well. The Nautilus would be no different. If ANY keyboard would considered a 'poorer' version of the Kronos, would it not be the Krome?

In my opinion, your comment, frankly, is part of the problem.

Grace,
Harry

No offence pa 700 is poorer version of pa4x even pa900 or 1000 not bad but that how it is now anyone's who got Kronos knows that Nautilus is lite version of Kronos which is fine problem is price you get a Kronos 2 for 250 £ more would you buy your PA700 instead of PA 4x if difference was 250 £ ?

Again, poorer version? I think that we have a language barrier here, because the PA700 is not a poorer version either. It is a different version, just as the Nautilus is from the Kronos (even though they may share many resources).

There are going to be many people who like the Nautilus. It is not a Kronos Lite. I have never heard Korg say that yet in their videos although they do compare many of the features and sounds with the Kronos.

It is NOT a poorer version. It is a different version with a good feature set and while I think that price is a bit too high by a few hundred US dollars, it is still a good buy for those who want one.

I like that Korg have different tiers of instruments (with their corresponding pricing). That way, people can choose what they like. In my opinion, Korg have been a little lacking in the mid/high-mid department between the Kross and the Kronos. The Nautilus helps to close that gap. I think that the Krome is the 'odd duck' of the lineup due to its lack of features compared to the Kronos (and even the Kross). Sure, it has 4Gb of sounds in it, but lacks so much more then what I would expect a mid-range board to have. It is still a nice instrument though, just not one that I wold consider.

We will agree to disagree on this, I guess Smile

Grace,
Harry

Let me try to summarize:

Nautilus is a Kronos, but Nautilus. Period.

entonio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just not defensible that the Nautilus isn't a poor man's Kronos. It's not a matter of opinion. Improved presets (IF they are so) and samples are not a 'change'. Loss of controls to what is essentially the same UI is not at all a matter of muscle memory. No aftertouch settles the fact that this is not meant to be a flagship product.

The Nautilus is obviously a streamlining and dumbing down of the Kronos line, meant to make the Kronos line no longer king of the hill, so that a completely new line may replace it. The new line will be significantly more expensive.

Nothing else makes any sense - if Korg just wanted to discontinue the Kronos line, they'd just discontinue it. If Korg just wanted to keep the Kronos line as their top offering, they'd just keep selling the Kronos. If Kronos wanted to make the Nautilus the new flagship, they wouldn't have let aftertouch out (it's probably more complicated to them to remove aftertouch from the existing design than keep it). No, the Nautilus is simply meant to make the Kronos line more downmarket, so that something else can take over.

Neither comparing to the prices of the used Kronos, nor trying to fool yourselves that it isn't a downgrade, nor being worried that this is the new top product, makes any sense. Get the thing if you're so impressed by it (no one is), calmly wait for the future (I'm more than content to do that), but don't waste your time with a discussion based on wrong premises.
KorgPlayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
Get the thing if you're so impressed by it (no one is)

Wrong. I am impressed, and I will pre-order the thing Very Happy
entonio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KorgPlayer wrote:
entonio wrote:

Good. But in that case you should have said so in the thread where it was asked and had no takers.
KorgPlayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
entonio wrote:

Good. But in that case you should have said so in the thread where it was asked and had no takers.

I guess I have missed that. Thread URL please?
KorgPlayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1-2 important questions Reply with quote

KorgPlayer wrote:

1. Will I be able to load KRONOS sound banks to NAUTILUS and vice versa?

Yes, the Nautilus will be able to import the Kronos PCG sound files. That is confirmed.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krome EX 61 £780

Nautilus 61 £1920

Kronos 61 £2400

And that is the problem, the Nautilus is just to expensive by imo £300

What competition does it have?

Kursweil PC4 @ £1650
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:

Nautilus 61 £1920

Kursweil PC4 @ £1650

if I follow your thinking, you are asserting the PC4 is equal to the Nautilus

Nautilus, a keyboard that has 4 demos, and a a few YT's plus Korgs training videos.

And other than a few YT's, no one [ that I know of] has a Nautilus

So, if I or you much prefer the old Kurzweil sound of PC4, to a handful of Nautilus sound examples, I suppose thats the opinion ?
entonio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, come on, no matter how critical one is of the Nautilus, Kurzweil isn't real competition, they could make a competing product but neither the PC4 nor any other of their offerings are. I'd love a modern-day K2600, but even then they'd be limited to what Fatar can provide.
leonh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Krome EX 61 £780

Nautilus 61 £1920

Kronos 61 £2400

Kursweil PC4 @ £1650

Kronos 2 61 is actually 2250£ now
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Biggles wrote:
Krome EX 61 £780

Nautilus 61 £1920

Kronos 61 £2400

Kursweil PC4 @ £1650

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/korg/korg-kronos-2-61-key-synthesizer-workstation

Andertons: 2399 £
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
leonh wrote:
Biggles wrote:
Krome EX 61 £780

Nautilus 61 £1920

Kronos 61 £2400

Kursweil PC4 @ £1650

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/korg/korg-kronos-2-61-key-synthesizer-workstation

Andertons: 2399 £

Pmt online ,Guitar guitar 2245£ Kronos 2 61
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
Well, come on, no matter how critical one is of the Nautilus, Kurzweil isn't real competition, they could make a competing product but neither the PC4 nor any other of their offerings are. I'd love a modern-day K2600, but even then they'd be limited to what Fatar can provide.

Could you explain this a bit better? I feel as if I'm missing something.

The PC4 has:

16 tracks of MIDI. A strong sound design model including a couple of different engines, with 256 voices of polyphony (although you can stack enough layers to reduce that substantially), 32 effects DSP units, a full linear sequencer, complex arpeggiators, a Medeli action (not Fatar) with aftertouch, nine sliders, knobs, buttons and (big win in my book) a screen that's not a touchscreen. It gives a piano-roll equivalent view of events if you want to get granular with your edits, even though you have to use the hardware controls to change events (not a big deal to me).

So how's the PC4 not competition for the Nautilus? It seems to provide a lot of horsepower, and actually have a better interface with more hardware controls. You have a gripe with the V.A.S.T. engine?

I'm genuinely asking, here. They aren't feature-for-feature clones of each other, but they definitely seem to be in the same ballpark of capability, and I'd say that the PC4 seems to have the edge in terms of composition and studio master duties.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1-2 important questions Reply with quote

KorgPlayer wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:

1. Will I be able to load KRONOS sound banks to NAUTILUS and vice versa?

Yes, the Nautilus will be able to import the Kronos PCG sound files. That is confirmed.

Thanx for the info. what about SNG ? thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: