Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best settings/effects to get a realistic grand piano sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCCASGAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Best settings/effects to get a realistic grand piano sound Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am considering buying the EK-50 over the CT-X3000/5000 due to its easier OS and the superior quality of its keybed (which is my main worry about Casio CT-X3000/5000).

The thing is that I don't like too much the grand piano sound (I guess it is due to the amount of reverb it has, but not sure).

Has any of you played with the effects and managed to get a more realistic grand piano sound in your EK-50?

If not really possible, I will start considering buying something different (even if more expensive)... maybe the Yamaha P121.

Thanks for your help.
Roberto
Mitzie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the latest update the Piano Button was set, by default to 001 Upper 1 and 001 + octave for Upper 2 & 3 which I rather liked. I have reinstated this combo on Bank A Set List 1 -which is my default sound when I boot up.

Personally I don't like muddy bass Piano sounds and will often transpose the lower piano voice up an octave
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best settings/effects to get a realistic grand piano sou Reply with quote

RCCASGAR wrote:
Hi all,

I am considering buying the EK-50 over the CT-X3000/5000 due to its easier OS and the superior quality of its keybed (which is my main worry about Casio CT-X3000/5000).

The thing is that I don't like too much the grand piano sound (I guess it is due to the amount of reverb it has, but not sure).

Has any of you played with the effects and managed to get a more realistic grand piano sound in your EK-50?

If not really possible, I will start considering buying something different (even if more expensive)... maybe the Yamaha P121.

Thanks for your help.
Roberto

The main piano sound on the EK-50 os very similar to the one in the Triton. That means, at least to me, that it has a good bottom end and a good top end, but the mid section is a bit flat. Korg users have been dealing with that on the Triton series for years. Even the main piano on the M50 was the same way. They changed it in the Kross and it sounded pretty good.

I have the i3 (2020 version) and it has all of the sounds of the EK-50 Limitless, and the piano sound is the same way. In a mix or layered with other instruments, it is okay. I would not use it for solo work, in my opinion. I have other synths with much better piano sounds (including the Kross 1).

You can drown it in Reverb, but it will still be a bit flat in the mid sections... layering it with Strings or something (to the point of cliche), will help a bit.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
RCCASGAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your feedback. I finally bought the EK-50 ,and it is already at home with me... Very Happy
RCCASGAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone let me know which voices are the more similar ones in the EK-50 to the following electric pianos?

- Fender Rhodes
- Wurlitzer
- Yamaha DX7

Thanks a lot!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCCASGAR wrote:
Can anyone let me know which voices are the more similar ones in the EK-50 to the following electric pianos?

- Fender Rhodes
- Wurlitzer
- Yamaha DX7

Thanks a lot!

If you are looking for specific patches, I would recommend going to Korg's website and grabbing the EK-50 Voice Name List pdf document - that will give you all of patches contained in the EK-50.

https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/5830e07166d7a1c9702bef701ea819ca.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%2A%3DUTF-8%27%27EK50_VNL_EFGSCJ1.pdf&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf%3B

Did you get the EK-50 or the EK50L (Limitless). The EK-50L has extra voices and styles that the original EK-50 does not have.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
RCCASGAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I have the EK-50, not the Limitless version. As far as I know, Korg has made available for free a lot of extra patches for EK-50, so I think we can now get almost all (if not all) the ones from the Limitless version for free.

I am not sure that this PDF document help me, as I am pretty sure none of the patches names will refer to Rhodes, Wurlitzer or DX7 (due to copyright issues), but I will give it a try.

Roberto
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCCASGAR wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I have the EK-50, not the Limitless version. As far as I know, Korg has made available for free a lot of extra patches for EK-50, so I think we can now get almost all (if not all) the ones from the Limitless version for free.

I am not sure that this PDF document help me, as I am pretty sure none of the patches names will refer to Rhodes, Wurlitzer or DX7 (due to copyright issues), but I will give it a try.

Roberto

Korg may not come right out and tell you which sound takes after a specific keyboard, but one can usually tell.

Anything with 'FM' in the name is usually going to be some kind of variant of a Yamaha DX type sound, since Yamaha's claim to fame was FM Synthesis. Since FM synthesis is open for anyone to use now, some have begun to use the DX names a bit more. Korg would also use VPM for a DX type sound, as VPM is considered a form of FM synthesis too.

Stage EPs are usually some kinds of Rhodes sound. 'Dyno' pianos are the same thing but a different kind of Rhodes EP sound. Tine pianos are similar.

Reed EPs or Wurli would be the Wulitzer type sounds...

That is why I did not give specific sound names at first. I would simply go through the sounds and find the one that works the best for whatever song you are playing.

Grace,
Harry
RCCASGAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the tips!

I know I could have done this, but the issue I have is that I don't have any piano/keyboard knowledge (I bought this keyboard to start learning), so it is very difficult that I can play anything which allows me to hear clearly how the existing patches sound...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG EK Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: