Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning MS20 engine...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Learning MS20 engine... Reply with quote

Good tutorial on the MS20 engine? The best I've found so far is Q. Robinez video, are there any other resources. I had no problems getting around on my eurorack system (I had 4 rows of 104hp, but you lost a lot of command switching screens and acclimating to the Korg paradigm. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
THanks!
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good way is to learn the original one. Google "MS-20 patch book" to get many visual examples of programs (knob positions, patch cords, etc.).
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KK. Great idea. My first synth was the MS10, back in the day. My university had an OB 8 voice, even though I had multi-tracked some demos with the MS10, the faculty member in charge didn't let me take the synth courses (lab aceess) because I wasn't a music major.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Below is the link I was referring to. It's an easy and quick start as very "visual", if you don't feel like learning all the knobs and patch panel right away. But in the end, the MS-20 basics are similar to working on a Moog or any other synth (VCO, VCF, VCA, modulation, envelopes, etc.).

http://korguk.com/downloads/korg/ms20mini/MS20-PatchBook.pdf
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles did a some good tutos upon MS-20 EX :
https://www.youtube.com/c/CharlesFerraro/search?query=MS20[/url]
yeskeys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need a good cheat sheet(s) so I can learn what what parameters map from the primary graphics page to the other tabs. It should be easier to figure out what maps to what across the pages.

Related - If I have a Program, comprised of 2 MS20s, can I patch between the two EXis, making a more powerful MS20?

I also plan on getting the Behringer 2600 when it comes out - does anyone know if there is enough voltage presentable at the individual 4 outputs on the Kronos to feed a meaningful voltage into the 2600 to do stuff like open filters, change EG stage amounts, etc?

Thanks
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
I think I need a good cheat sheet(s) so I can learn what what parameters map from the primary graphics page to the other tabs. It should be easier to figure out what maps to what across the pages.

Related - If I have a Program, comprised of 2 MS20s, can I patch between the two EXis, making a more powerful MS20?

I also plan on getting the Behringer 2600 when it comes out - does anyone know if there is enough voltage presentable at the individual 4 outputs on the Kronos to feed a meaningful voltage into the 2600 to do stuff like open filters, change EG stage amounts, etc?

Thanks

1°) You can download here 9 templates to be cut and placed over the control Panel : https://web.archive.org/web/20200811033401/http://www.kronoscopie.fr/fichiers/tools/Tone_Adjust_Tool_All_Engines.pdf

2°) No you can't patch betwen the two EXi. But you can use a trick about the MS-20Ex Exi Audio Input : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_74JN-b6M in french but can easily be followed.
There's a trick you can use too : put two MS20 Program in a combi, send one on them to an individual output, jack-plug this output into an Audio input, use this audio input as the Exi AUDIO IN of the second MS20 Prog. I've posted about that : http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=111590&highlight=

3°) The average voltage of an audio line is -0.45v/+0.45V. It is not eurorack compatible. But you can use Line to CV/Gate converter, like that : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/blue-lantern-modules-hot-rails. And so, use an individual output as the audio entry in this converter and then send the signal to the 2600.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy those Charles Ferraro tutorials are just what the dr. ordered! Well done and explained. Thank you all for the tips, I wish I could spend all day working to master these engines. The sequencer also baffles me to the point that I'm not sure if it's me or my Kronos acting up when it doesn't perform steps I expect it to do.

That's for another day however. I have real work to do this week, so I can pay for my toys.

Thank you good people,
Eric
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been looking for something like this too. I find it astounding that as complex as the Kronos is to learn with all its features that Korg has never taken it upon themselves to develop a "proper" tutorial series on how to use the Kronos. Often I find many people like myself getting frustrated trying to find whatever resources they can to learn the ins and outs of it.

I never find it surprising when there are features on the Kronos people don't know about or just skip altogether because they never had the patience to learn it. Also the manual my first go to is of little help at times it doesn't address nor answer every question so there's that too.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
I had been looking for something like this too. I find it astounding that as complex as the Kronos is to learn with all its features that Korg has never taken it upon themselves to develop a "proper" tutorial series on how to use the Kronos. Often I find many people like myself getting frustrated trying to find whatever resources they can to learn the ins and outs of it.

I never find it surprising when there are features on the Kronos people don't know about or just skip altogether because they never had the patience to learn it. Also the manual my first go to is of little help at times it doesn't address nor answer every question so there's that too.

The Kronos Parameter Guide is the most comprehensive guide that has never been published for any synth of any brand. Considering all the synths I've played, I've never seen such a work on guides.

You're right, the Kronos need many times, many months and years for a supposed masterting. Every one who intends to buy one should know that.

(Believe me, seeing the Yamaha Montage manual, the Kronos Manuals, with about 2,000 pages, is a real bible ! Fortunaltey, the Montage/Modx get a great teacher : M. Joël Borg from Mossieurs website and Youtube channel.)

Many people have produced numerous tutorials, vidéos concerning the Kronos.
This forum, with its 15,700 topics and 180,000 posts is an extraordinary database. Many people here are happy to help others.
So we can't complain about a lack of informations. We must just have the courage to look for them.

Whatever the source of informations, whatever the quantity of available informatrions, above all each one is alone with his synth, and must spend time to read, try, make mistake and rectify, look for informations.
That's the price to pay to a real apprenticeship.

The original Minimoog manual had 22 pages with big font !!
The original ARP 2600 manual had 118 pages but on a little book format (so about 60/70 A4 pages) with handmade diagrams !

Considering the power of these machines - and many others - , I've never heard Edgar Froese, J.M. Jarre, Vangelis, Klaus Schulze, ... complain about the lack of brands tutorials !!
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
blazerunner wrote:

The Kronos Parameter Guide is the most comprehensive guide that has never been published for any synth of any brand. Considering all the synths I've played, I've never seen such a work on guides.

You're right, the Kronos need many times, many months and years for a supposed masterting. Every one who intends to buy one should know that.

(Believe me, seeing the Yamaha Montage manual, the Kronos Manuals, with about 2,000 pages, is a real bible ! Fortunaltey, the Montage/Modx get a great teacher : M. Joël Borg from Mossieurs website and Youtube channel.)

Many people have produced numerous tutorials, vidéos concerning the Kronos.
This forum, with its 15,700 topics and 180,000 posts is an extraordinary database. Many people here are happy to help others.
So we can't complain about a lack of informations. We must just have the courage to look for them.

Whatever the source of informations, whatever the quantity of available informatrions, above all each one is alone with his synth, and must spend time to read, try, make mistake and rectify, look for informations.
That's the price to pay to a real apprenticeship.

The original Minimoog manual had 22 pages with big font !!
The original ARP 2600 manual had 118 pages but on a little book format (so about 60/70 A4 pages) with handmade diagrams !

Considering the power of these machines - and many others - , I've never heard Edgar Froese, J.M. Jarre, Vangelis, Klaus Schulze, ... complain about the lack of brands tutorials !!

I don't believe in making excuses for manufacturers nor blaming myself for what a manufacturer fails to do when it comes to a consumer enjoying a product they've created. My experience with the Kronos so far has already made me rethink about buying another Korg flagship or just moving to DAW like everyone else and I'm not alone in that feeling.

I own a real MS20 but yet it's a challenge to have to learn how to use the MS20 on the Kronos.

I'd simply like to spend my time making music not figuring out how to become a computer engineer to operate one synth/workstation. Every time you turn on the Kronos just to use one basic feature that it boldly advertises should not have a need to become a research project.

While the Kronos may be a power house of possibilities it certainly is poorly executed to the point of it almost being impractical to make music with which leaves people searching for Keyboards that have a more natural feel to them that inspires them to make music instead of discouraging them from it.

Yes if you read the manual cover to cover and spend a Doctoral Degree's worth of time learning it you can master the skills needed to operate a dated keyboard while some 16yo just did what took you 4 years to learn within 15 minutes of downloading his new vst.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
I don't believe in making excuses for manufacturers nor blaming myself for what a manufacturer fails to do when it comes to a consumer enjoying a product they've created. My experience with the Kronos so far has already made me rethink about buying another Korg flagship or just moving to DAW like everyone else and I'm not alone in that feeling.

I own a real MS20 but yet it's a challenge to have to learn how to use the MS20 on the Kronos.

I'd simply like to spend my time making music not figuring out how to become a computer engineer to operate one synth/workstation. Every time you turn on the Kronos just to use one basic feature that it boldly advertises should not have a need to become a research project.

While the Kronos may be a power house of possibilities it certainly is poorly executed to the point of it almost being impractical to make music with which leaves people searching for Keyboards that have a more natural feel to them that inspires them to make music instead of discouraging them from it.

Yes if you read the manual cover to cover and spend a Doctoral Degree's worth of time learning it you can master the skills needed to operate a dated keyboard while some 16yo just did what took you 4 years to learn within 15 minutes of downloading his new vst.

Well, it's your experience, absolutely not mine.
It's always a pleasure for me to swich it on, dig into the sound engines, find new sounds, create songs, make some sampling, etc...
As it is a great pleasure to work on others good instruments.

So it doesn't matter at all, the Kronos doesn't suit you, that's it. I'm sure you've find a better instrument which suits you.
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s really the point, isn’t it Liviou? The Kronos can be as simple or complex as the user wants or needs - many never dig in to the manuals and just use the basics to create music, while others dig in as deep in the areas that interest or service them as they can.

The beauty of the Kronos is that it IS as deep as it is, and that is nearly limitless in spite of its age - there really are few (if any) alternatives developed in the intervening years which can match the capabilities.

However, it apparently isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. There are plenty of other simpler alternatives to choose from.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
That’s really the point, isn’t it Liviou? The Kronos can be as simple or complex as the user wants or needs - many never dig in to the manuals and just use the basics to create music, while others dig in as deep in the areas that interest or service them as they can.

The beauty of the Kronos is that it IS as deep as it is, and that is nearly limitless in spite of its age - there really are few (if any) alternatives developed in the intervening years which can match the capabilities.

However, it apparently isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. There are plenty of other simpler alternatives to choose from.

Yes, agree with you.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m kind of surprised to hear the MS-20EX is challenging to learn for someone who owns an MS-20. I know it has some added functionality with AMS but the basic operation is the same isn’t it?

Just curious what’s giving you the most trouble...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: