Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarification on what preloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraserhutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Clarification on what preloads Reply with quote

Hi all.

I just got a hold of a Kornox X. Upgraded the OS and firmware, purchased and installed the New Song Pack.

The question I have is this - which version of the preload.pcg should I load?

The contents in FACTORY are from 2011.

I installed FACTORY_V2 and loaded PRELOAD_V2.PCG and that seems to work.

Which is the latest blessed factory data the an updated Kronus X? I didn't see anything on the Korg website.

Also, where do I get the latest demo songs that that the berlin piano?
Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you loaded PRELOAD_V2.PCG you should be fine. It was the latest version of the preload for the original KRONOS/KRONOSX released in 2013 with System 2.1.

To make things confusing, Korg named it PRELOAD_V2, although it has the original order. Only CX3 programs in banks I-A and U-C were updated to take advantage of new amp and rotary effects introduced in OS 2.1 in 2013. Other banks and all other data is included, but remains the same;

After the New Kronos was released in 2014 with a "new order" of programs, the kronos community began calling it version 2. The updated CX3 patches remain but '_V2' was dropped and it is named PRELOAD again. It is technically the third version that has been made available.

As far as I know, a preload.pcg with the "new order" is only available with a new Kronos2 (since 2014). Although the manuals are available online that show the voice name list (VNL) of the new order.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the new order, the new EX, and the CX3 programs, were there any other new sounds in the K2 version compared to the earlier version?

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Other than the new order, the new EX, and the CX3 programs, were there any other new sounds in the K2 version compared to the earlier version?

Geo

new sounds in K2 ?

K1 and Kronos X owners could pay and have a K2
equivalent:

this is from Jan 29, 2015.

Dear KRONOS user,

Korg is pleased to announce the "New KRONOS Sound Pack" for the current KRONOS users.

New KRONOS Sound Pack (normally $299, introductory price of $249)

The "New KRONOS Sound Pack" includes the following new KRONOS Sound Libraries, as featured in the new KRONOS:

• EXs17 SGX-2 Berlin D Piano
• EXs18 KORG EXs Collections
• KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0

The ”New KRONOS Sound Pack" adds these fresh new sounds to the KRONOS and KRONOS X.

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2015/0129/
https://shop.korg.com/kronos/SoundLibraries

• EXs17 SGX-2 Berlin D Piano
Contents: Approximately 8.6GB of PCM samples, 16 Piano Types.

One of the three great pianos of the world, this legendary instrument from Berlin has been captured for the SGX‐2 sound engine. The KRONOS piano engine has always offered huge collections of non-looped/natural decay stereo samples, recorded for every key, with additional unique tools to customize the piano to your needs. Inheriting all of this SGX-1 functionality, the new enhanced SGX-2 Grand Piano engine introduces the new Berlin Grand Piano, including 12 velocity zones, Sympathetic String Resonance and newly-recorded Una Corda (soft pedal - literally "one-string")
The EXs17 Berlin Grand Piano offers resonant piano sound with striking sense of depth.

• EXs18 KORG EXs Collections
Contents: Approximately 900MB of PCM samples, 93 Multisamples (42 stereo)

EXs18 contains a selection of string, choir and brass sounds from the three KORG EXs titles listed below.
・ EXs11 Legendary Strings
・ EXs15 Classical and Ambient Choir
・ EXs16 Funk and Soul Brass

• KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0
Contents: 256 Programs, 32 Combinations, 13 Wavesequences, 1 Set List

KRS-07 provides new Programs which use the samples from EXs17 and EXs18. Additional Song Programs are named for the classic rock and pop songs whose signature keyboard sounds these programs recreate. Use these universally well-known sounds to pay homage to the originals, or as the basis for personal sonic explorations.
Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:

Geo

The new KRONOS 2 included new EXs17 Berlin Grand Piano. Also, EXs18 KORG EXS Collections: selected sounds from EXs11 Legendary Strings, EXs15 Classical and Ambient Choir, and EXs16 Funk and Soul Brass.

As Greg mentions above, owners of original KRONOS and KRONOS X can add these new sounds with the "New KRONOS Sound Pack".

Besides this, and the CX3 programs introduced in system 2.1, the new KRONOS re-order of the factory programs in preload.pcg with System 3.0 included all programs from the earlier version, although no other new sounds.
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a K2 can probably provide you with K2 preload file if you want the new song with the Berlin piano.

Please can someone confirm if this is subject to copyright?

Beware as it might mess with your head if you purchase more sounds from Korg - the Kronos X expansion packs load to different slots (unless you download the K2 packs and use them on Kronos X with K2 preload) - the K2 expansion packs generally have a different program order... I have no idea why Korg did this - probably a marketing thing...

Owners of both Kronos X and K2 will probably decide to use K2 preload files and K2 expansion packs to ensure both machines operate in sync. You need to decide where your starting point is and stick to it. Someone jump in here if this isn't correct?

hope that helps
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peas&Carrots wrote:
Anyone with a K2 can probably provide you with K2 preload file if you want the new song with the Berlin piano.

s

the new song ?

To clarify the K1 owner or X owner has to purchase the Berlin samples to enjoy the Berlin Piano.

Berlin samples are not automatically on a K2 PCG file, AFAIK. The PCG file includes the programming and some Combis utilizing Berlin.
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlin City Tour
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://soundcloud.com/korg/s000-berlin-city-tour
fraserhutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peas&Carrots wrote:

These programs don't sound without the samples which you much purchase and authorize. I did so. Nice piano.

You can download the EX-17 for evaluation. The samples fade in and out until you authorize them.
fraserhutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Peas&Carrots wrote:

s

the new song ?

To clarify the K1 owner or X owner has to purchase the Berlin samples to enjoy the Berlin Piano.

Berlin samples are not automatically on a K2 PCG file, AFAIK. The PCG file includes the programming and some Combis utilizing Berlin.

To clarify - I bought the New Sound pack with the Berlin piano. It did not come with demo songs so I was hoping someone could point me to where i might be able to get hold of them. There should be demo songs including the Berlin Tour lSNG that GregC posted on Soundcloud. At least I assumed there was one available.
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:

These programs don't sound without the samples which you much purchase and authorize. I did so. Nice piano.

I know, but as you say you have purchased the New Song Pack. I was referring to the Preload File and any copyrights.

The demo song comes with the K2 Preload files. You will need to load the K2 Preload for it to work properly otherwise the Song will be referencing incorrect program locations etc. So there is no point in someone sending you just the song file.

I complained about this on here when the K2 was released. it was stupid of Korg to have 2 sets of programs - the K2 file should have been available to everyone so that we can all work to the same platform including the sound designers who were forced into producing two sets - one for the X and another for the K2. Stupid just stupid...

If you know someone with a K2 or a music shop with a K2 just take a USB memory stick with you and copy all the Factory files... Shocked
Sweat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I believe it was for marketing reasons that Korg reordered the factory programs with the new Kronos (2014), so that the new Berlin piano would be listed in the first bank.

After updating my original Kronos (2011) with the New KRONOS Sound Pack, I also rearranged the factory programs with PCG Tools to the new Kronos2 order according to the new manual (VNL) that became available online. This effort was mostly in anticipation of eventually purchasing a K2 and keeping them in sync. I later found there is really no advantage or gain to either order. ...unless perhaps you want to play the demo songs.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting back to 1 of the questions,,, about copyright of that Berlin City demo song, bottom line, get permission from the rights holder.

if you play it on the Korg shops site, there is a name attached to it. thats a starting point. and/or write to Korg USA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: