Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split Keyboard Zone for External Instrument via MIDI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Split Keyboard Zone for External Instrument via MIDI Reply with quote

I want to play an external software synth along with Korg internal sounds in the COMBI (or seq ) mode. I can't do that because the EXTERNAL MIDI instrument does not respect the ZONES of the Korg. Entire 88 keys play the same sound.
Is there a solution to this ?
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? Try setting up a Combi with two timbres configured to MIDI channel 2, with the key zones split at middle C, and set your external controller to use MIDI channel 2.

Which sound(s) plays across the keyboard?

If the controller only honors one timbre assignment, then you’ll likely need a different controller.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keyboard zoning of timbres in a Combi is something that occurs internally in the Kronos. There is no zoning information that is transmitted as MIDI data from the Kronos. Only MIDI note on, velocity, and note off events, although there may be additional MIDI data generated by Karma, and from use of the Kronos control surface. The external software synth would itself need to be set up to perform zoning, based on keyboard note number, velocity, or whatever. The OP doesn't mention the software synth in question but it is quite a simple process to set up zoning with a soft synth like Omnisphere.

Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The OP doesn't mention the software synth in question but it is quite a simple process to set up zoning with a soft synth like Omnisphere.

The external Software Synth is Equator 2 from ROLI. What you say makes sense. Zoning is entirely internal to KORG. Outside Synth does not send that information. I will check what the Equator has. Could be similar to Omnisphere. Could you explain what the simple process is ..Thanks
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The OP doesn't mention the software synth in question but it is quite a simple process to set up zoning with a soft synth like Omnisphere.

The external Software Synth is Equator 2 from ROLI. What you say makes sense. Zoning is entirely internal to KORG. Outside Synth does not send that information. I will check what the Equator has. Could be similar to Omnisphere. Could you explain what the simple process is ..Thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relevant screen in Omnisphere is the Stack screen in Multi mode. An example of the screen is shown here:

https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/d/daw_lerning/20190325/20190325003031.png

The zoning is done simply by using the mouse/touch pad/touch screen to drag the edges of the keyboard extents and tapers to suit.

In the Korg M1 VST, the keyboard zones are manually entered in the MIDI "tab".

ROLI support details setting up zones here:

https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000173411-equator-creating-split-voice-patches

The Mainstage VST host also allows timbre zoning to be set up.

FB Music

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m using the B3X On an ipad in combination with my Kronos. Split points and keyboard zones are setup in a Kronos combination. Works perfectly for me. One thing that is important is that the external midi channel is not the same as the Kronos’ global midi channel...

Hope this helps.
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I use my TeX61 on top to control my Kronos, and I use channel 2 for the MIDI connection. It honors all of the splits and zones just fine, and gives me an extra 61 keys to work with.
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The keyboard zoning of timbres in a Combi is something that occurs internally in the Kronos. There is no zoning information that is transmitted as MIDI data from the Kronos. Only MIDI note on, velocity, and note off events, although there may be additional MIDI data generated by Karma, and from use of the Kronos control surface. The external software synth would itself need to be set up to perform zoning, based on keyboard note number, velocity, or whatever. The OP doesn't mention the software synth in question but it is quite a simple process to set up zoning with a soft synth like Omnisphere.

That's odd. Using a Combi with EXT selected, I was able to create a zone which a software instrument I have set up in Gig Performer responded to the zone on my Kronos. I'm confused now.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's intriguing. Having tried playing several different keyboard-zoned Combis across the zones and with Ext selected, MIDI note on/note off data were only seen on MIDI channel 1.

Could it be that KARMA is playing a role?

alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Split Keyboard Zone for External Instrument via MIDI Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:
I want to play an external software synth along with Korg internal sounds in the COMBI (or seq ) mode. I can't do that because the EXTERNAL MIDI instrument does not respect the ZONES of the Korg. Entire 88 keys play the same sound.

There is solution Smile but you did not specify what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve. "Extrenal instrument Respecting Korg zones" is rather vague construct Smile

A) But I assume you want this: External instrument plays only when you play certain area ("zone") on your Kronos keyboard. To achieve this:
1) In Combi mode assign free timbre to some MIDI channel that is not Global and not used by KARMA.
2) Create desired zone to this timbre
3) Set MIDI Timbre EXT (or EXT2, if you want to sent custom bank select message)
4) Set your external VST instrument to receive that MIDI channel you set for your zoned timbre

B) If "respecting Kronos zones" means that you want your external instrument somehow get Kronos zone information and set itself up somehow also with the same zone information, then no easy way. You just have to set up external instrument zones (if it is able to zoning) manually according your Kronos Combi.
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Keyboard Zone for External Instrument via MIDI Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Satish Rahi wrote:

There is solution Smile but you did not specify what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve. "Extrenal instrument Respecting Korg zones" is rather vague construct Smile

A) But I assume you want this: External instrument plays only when you play certain area ("zone") on your Kronos keyboard. To achieve this:
1) In Combi mode assign free timbre to some MIDI channel that is not Global and not used by KARMA.
3) Set MIDI Timbre EXT (or EXT2, if you want to sent custom bank select message)
4) Set your external VST instrument to receive that MIDI channel you set for your zoned timbre

B) If "respecting Kronos zones" means that you want your external instrument somehow get Kronos zone information and set itself up somehow also with the same zone information, then no easy way. You just have to set up external instrument zones (if it is able to zoning) manually according your Kronos Combi.

Thanks so much for the solution! I struggled with this for a couple of days. In my case it was a karma channel interfering with my external channel.

I looked in the karma tab on my Combi and saw the channels 2345 were used by Karma so I sitMy external channel to 14 and now it works where Setlist changes send the program changes from my Combi to my external devices.

Thanks again 😎
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Keyboard Zone for External Instrument via MIDI Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Satish Rahi wrote:

Thanks so much for the solution! I struggled with this for a couple of days. In my case it was a karma channel interfering with my external channel.

I looked in the karma tab on my Combi and saw the channels 2345 were used by Karma so I sitMy external channel to 14 and now it works where Setlist changes send the program changes from my Combi to my external devices.

Thanks again 😎
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: