Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using "foot pedal assign" (Global Settings) for L
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Using "foot pedal assign" (Global Settings) for L Reply with quote

New user! (Kronos 61).
This is probably covered somewhere but there are do many pages to trawl through,I thought I'd just ask!

I have the "foot switch assign" set to Program Up so that I can step through my playlist which works fine.
Can I use the "foot pedal assign" to switch the Leslie effect on/off.
You can set it to JS+Y (Joystick Up) but this does not work no matter what polarity I have the footswitch set at.
Does anybody know how I can achieve want I can't to do or is it impossible?

Cheers,
Pete.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete

Quick answer is "no".
The "Foot Pedal" requires something like an expression pedal (has a 3-point jack like stereo) so a regular switch pedal will not work.
Connect an expression pedal and it will respond.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this right!
If I buy an expression pedal with TRS tip (Korg) and plug it into the "pedal" input socket, set the parameter for the pedal assign socket in "Global" to JS+, the pedal will then control the stop/start of the Leslie effect in organ settings (and probably vibrato in others)...❓
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
Cheers,
Pete.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure will - my expression pedal does that on my Kronos

Take care

Pete Very Happy
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is a good and timely discussion. I've had my expression pedal set up in Global mode to control volume, but often times I don't need to regulate the volume level - it would be far more useful to control the Leslie effect, or a filter value, or some other attribute.

I've dug through the OG and PG but wasn't able to determine how to set the expression pedal up so that it could be more versatile. Any tips or suggestions?
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered the following, I hope it's the right one!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RW0FPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_wQ54FbHK4AD70
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Coleman wrote:

Hello there,

Yep that's the one. You could also get the Korg EXP-2 expression pedal to control values from 000 to 127 if you think you might need more "feet control" someday. Cool
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Pete Coleman wrote:

Hello there,

Yep that's the one. You could also get the Korg EXP-2 expression pedal to control values from 000 to 127 if you think you might need more "feet control" someday. Cool

I've heard that the EXP-20 is better but is very expensive for a pedal... 😲
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both - they serve different purposes. I use the DS1H for piano playing (since it is compatible with half pedaling) or simply as a sustain pedal and I use the EXP-2 for organ programs or to control any synth parameter when you are too busy using both hands on the keyboard.
FB Music

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion to make the control pedal on the Kronos WAY more versatile! It does however require the use of an iPad with the ‘Midiflow’ app.

In short: set the pedal in global to CC4. This is a general footcontroller CC and in itself does nothing until you use Midiflow to transform it into any CC you want, whenever you want...
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the Korg DS1H pedal arrived and I plugged it into the "assignable foot pedal" socket, (I have the "assignable foot switch' set to program advance for stepping through the set list), I have set the Global parameter for the " assignable foot pedal" to "JS+Y" and with the plug pushed all the way home nothing happens, when the plug is pushed in only half way the pedal WILL turn the Leslie effect, (modulation) on but NOT off again!
You can't set the pedal's polarity either in Global or on the pedal, so it can't be that...
What the heck I'm I doing wrong, this is just so frustrating, surely I don't have to choose between either "Program Advance" OR "JS+Y" in the "assignable footswitch" dropdown menu?..
Cheers,
Pete.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

This is my understanding (but I could be wrong)
The "assignable foot pedal" socket is designed for expression/volume pedals and as such can received values 0-127 from the connected pedal as it moves through its axis.

The "JS-Y" setting expects only 2 values so an expression pedal will work for the Rotary using JS-Y as follows:-
When the exp pedal is under half way it will send values 0-63, once the pedal is over half way it will be sending 64-127 (this would have the effect of JS-Y pushed forward)

Hope I'm right and this makes sense!!! But please check this out further in case there is another way to set this up with your new pedal.

I think the pedal you have purchased is designed for piano (half-damper etc...) - have no idea what values it would send.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As karmathanever mentions, this is normal behaviour. Also, in most CX-3 organ programs, the joystick +Y acts as a momentary switch. Which means the first time you push past halfway the pedal, it changes the Leslie speed. Then to return to slow speed, you have to release the pedal and push it again (so another momentary contact). Note that each program can be programmed differently for the joystick +Y, etc.
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
As karmathanever mentions, this is normal behaviour. Also, in most CX-3 organ programs, the joystick +Y acts as a momentary switch. Which means the first time you push past halfway the pedal, it changes the Leslie speed. Then to return to slow speed, you have to release the pedal and push it again (so another momentary contact). Note that each program can be programmed differently for the joystick +Y, etc.

Thanks for your reply.
I tried a normal momentary switch in the socket but nothing happened, I tried both polarities with +Y too!
Cheers,
Pete.👍
Pete Coleman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi Pete

This is my understanding (but I could be wrong)
The "assignable foot pedal" socket is designed for expression/volume pedals and as such can received values 0-127 from the connected pedal as it moves through its axis.

The "JS-Y" setting expects only 2 values so an expression pedal will work for the Rotary using JS-Y as follows:-
When the exp pedal is under half way it will send values 0-63, once the pedal is over half way it will be sending 64-127 (this would have the effect of JS-Y pushed forward)

Hope I'm right and this makes sense!!! But please check this out further in case there is another way to set this up with your new pedal.

I think the pedal you have purchased is designed for piano (half-damper etc...) - have no idea what values it would send.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Ah Grasshopper, I think I see the light, I will have to get a proper Korg expression pedal (well two actually: one I need for foot volume control to PA and now another for the foot remote for JS+Y)!
Argh- money, money, money!🤣
Cheers,
Pete.
Merry Christmas too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: